Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Studio Lost in thought

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Grotius

I did this watercolor sketch last night in about 45 minutes. It’s a pretty good likeness, but I need more practice getting my colors and values right. I usually paint in oils, and I find I need to break some habits when I use watercolors.

For example: I’ve read conflicting things on how to get to one’s darkest darks. Does one start with a series of light washes and slowly build up to darks? Or does one set down one’s darkest dark fairly early, as a benchmark, to help guide the rest of one’s values? (Charles Reid seems to suggest the latter.)

Anyway, this little study is “Lost in thought,” watercolor on Pentalic sketchbook paper, about 4″ x 6.” C&C welcome.

- Geoff.
        My website and blog: https://www.geoffwatsonart.com/

Hi Geoff, very stylish. I personally work light to dark on the skin tones but I suggest you check out the work of atlee in the Watercolor Handbook.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

RBloechl

For example: I’ve read conflicting things on how to get to one’s darkest darks. Does one start with a series of light washes and slowly build up to darks? Or does one set down one’s darkest dark fairly early, as a benchmark, to help guide the rest of one’s values? (Charles Reid seems to suggest the latter.)

Both methods are used by various artists. Generally, it is easier for most people to work from light to dark. You can always darken a wash with a second application. However, you don’t want to add too many layers, as the wash can then start to get muddy looking. It’s best to put in your darks last, with a good strong value that you won’t have to go over again.
            If you have trouble judging the values of the lighter washes, putting some darks in early, can help determine if the light values are strong enough. :)

Rich

Grotius

Thanks to both of you for your comments. Good food for thought! Doug, I will check out Atlee. Rich, thanks for the caution on multiple washes. I had wondered whether there was a practical limit to how often one could add layers. Evidently the answer is yes. :)

Thanks again.

- Geoff.

ronsu18

your talent is showing. the face is wonderful, it’s like meeting her, sitting next to her.
                    you could just lift the chroma in the deepest sleeve shadow, dull down the remaining color and the yellow of the sleeve – sign and sell if you dare part with this.

C&C welcome

pjartwc

I usually paint light to dark – unless I want to get a small dark area in for comparison. As mentioned earlier, you can always go darker, but it’s very hard and usually impossible to go back to paper-white.

C&C WELCOMED

Jan

Grotius

Ronsu, thanks for the comments. The sleeve did turn out more saturated than I planned. I’d also like a fully-developed background for my next effort.

Jan, I appreciate the advice on working light to dark. It’s amazing to me how tough it is for me to rewire my oil-painter’s brain to do this. The first thing I’ll do is paint right over the areas I want to leave white! I’m getting better about it with practice.

- Geoff.

tmwilliams

Wonderful…wish my sketches looked this good!

DMArtist7

It looks super! Really, it does. I like the spontaneous feeling you have captured here.
                                    On a side note, I work with watercolors sometimes and have a love and hate relationship with it. It’s really not a forgiving medium at all so I find it easier to work from light to dark since in this way it is easier to “fix” the mistakes than the other way around.

"Choose only one master – Nature." ~ Rembrandt

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.