Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Using fast drying medium

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Steamup

I have just experimented with using this for the first time with Windsor and Newton WMO. I used it neat and it sort does work paint dries very quickly and seems to become sticky.This is not a big issue as I wanted to use it to get the first layer of paint down.
        The question is what about the layers to come? Can I reduce the volume of quick drying medium or mix with other medium such as Safflower oil?:confused:

Crystal1

What a nice start on your portrait. I’ve only used alkyd drying mediums a couple times and didn’t care for the stickiness, so I really can’t answer your question. You might want to x-post in the Regular Oil Painting section, as the WMOs will act the same as regular oils with Alkyd driers. Good luck & happy painting!

Steamup

Just finished I have found the fast drying medium useful if a bit sticky.Further experimentation is required I think.

I use Liquin fast dry medium. If I think that mixing the Liquin with the paint will cause the paint on my palette to get sticky, then i put some Liquin in a small cup. I dip my brush in the cup and then in the paint and let it mix as I go. Seems to work for me.

Keith in Colorado

Keith in Colorado
                Crystal1

Your portrait came out just great!

Steamup

Thank you made a frame today and I am taking it to my friend tomorrow hope he likes it:crossfingers:

ZeldaW

I just saw your question and thought you might be interested in this email response from WN. Last month I emailed them and asked about the fat/lean rule when using fast dry medium and this was their response:

The Fast Drying Medium is considered ‘Fat’ so you shouldn’t have any problems. The ‘lean’ materials in the Water Mixable Range would be the Artisan Thinner and water. They don’t offer any adhesive or binding properties.
                            When it comes to fat over lean……………what that really means is ‘more flexible over less flexible’…………….Mediums are fat so increase the flexibility. What you don’t want to do is to apply a layer of oil colour mixed with either water or thinner over a layer where you have used only medium. The ‘lean’ layer will dry quicker and slow down the drying of the under layers. It will become more brittle than the paint under it so when that layer dries is likely that the ‘lean’ layer will crack.

Steamup

Thank you for the feedback that is very helpful.

OldNoob

i just read somewhere, that the WN oil thinner and linseed oil can be added to the fast drying medium without adversely effecting it.

oCDs01-711

My experience with Winsor and Newton Artisan Thinner, Artisan Linseed Oil and Fast Drying Medium? Turned gloppy on me!:eek: Perhaps it won’t for you!:crossfingers: :D If I should use this mixture again, I would use a “deviled egg” plate with the tiny little indentions for eggs which I’d separate my colors.:D

Shirley:wave:

There are three classes of people: Those who see. Those who see when shown. Those who do not see. --Leonardo da Vinci

Anonymous

same here, I don’t use the WN water mixable mediums, I use regular mediums, liquin, OMS, linseed oil. Many claim that this will make them not water mixable, but for me they are still water mixable because most of the material is the WMO paint and not the medium.

oCDs01-711

For clarity, I should have stated that when I use Artisan products alone, they work wonderfully. It’s only when I mix two together that they become gloppy. If I had them in separate containers like a deviled egg platter, they would be a little more cooperative!:D Otherwise, I love my Artisan paints!:thumbsup:

Shirley:wave:

There are three classes of people: Those who see. Those who see when shown. Those who do not see. --Leonardo da Vinci

Lady pam

I too struggle with what quantity and at what stage to mix artisan fast drying medium. I have been for a few lessons whereby the teacher scrubs the first layer of paint into the canvas using very little paint, so consequently you can carry on painting on top immediately doesn’t use any mediums. So I don’t really know the proper way to use my fast drying medium. Would like to see a demo of a landscape from start to finish using the medium, as some of my paints seem a little dry to work with (a bit like acrylics)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.