WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2018, 05:14 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Texas

Hails from United States
Re: July Fantasy and Sci-Fi Art Monthly Challenge and Chat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman
Terry's hip replacement is going to be this month.
They are flying us out to California for the surgery and putting us up in a Hotel for the time we are out there, plus a food allowance.
Flying out on July 22nd and back again on Aug 3rd.
Good luck and good travels for you and Terry, Dianna
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2018, 05:43 PM
WC! Guide
Missouri, I'm still in Colorado in my heart

Hails from United States

Yes!
A positive attitude is a good thing going into surgery!
Terry is very much looking forward to getting it done, it's been a bit of a wait on this.

Dianna
WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art

C and C always welcome.
My DeviantArt Gallery http://dianna-art.deviantart.com/gallery/
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2018, 08:25 PM
Tasmania, Australia

Hails from Australia

Hello again. Thoughts to everyone in their challenges etc.

Whoops! My apology for using a word with negative connotation.

Worse, I did not follow the thought and instead went on another pathway. Just like a dream.

To me Anime has issues:

I am the father of a thirteen-year-old young lady who comes into the studio. She influences my language (sadly).

I teach her Anime and the human attributions we both need to apply when drawing. This is fun and developmental for her and she is quite good in adding emotions, getting the concepts of storyboard arrays.

She adds it to her exposure to J-Pop and K-Pop with the BTS hip-hop rhythms. Anime helps her Japanese language course and she is off the Japan at X-Mas time.

Anime is highly emotional to her. To me it is disturbing because she attends St. Patricks Catholic College where societal issues get discussed. Obviously I am an anachronistic old grump whose ideas of cotton wool differ from modern reality!

A case can be made that Anime began on the streets of Amsterdam, but it was called something else when I was a child. In my view the Japanese appropriated the concepts… a kind of cultural appropriation.

Anime is polished and shiny. It is great fantasy and it suits Sci-Fi well.

Anime dreams are like a smooth shrink-wrap plastic bottle label - not gritty.

A Hobbit hole is gritty, oozing moods ‘subterranean’ to inspire dreams of dark shadows rustling among the fungi…

to continue

Pieter Zaadstra's WetCanvas Wildlife Art Class Thread Link
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2018, 08:30 PM
Tasmania, Australia

Hails from Australia

… to continue in our dream thread:

Cast your mind back to a famous photograph (by Lord Snowdon?) of J.R.R. Tolkien as the English gentleman tutor smoking a pipe on the banks of a glade beneath the ancient oaks with powerful roots and a filigree of minor roots strewn with fallen leaves. Tolkien is silhouetted against the immensity of bright light in the sky.

This is, to my mind, one of the most classical examples of brilliant suggestive conceptualism, a dream image with layers of meaning.

The wide blockbuster world is behind Tolkien who sits at the edge of it, a storyteller.

Before him lies the hidden secrets among leaves and holes permeating scents of decay, of fungi.

The layers in the photograph are stark. In the ‘Gothic’ cosmos behind Tolkien are Zimmer and Bergersen, Jackson and the entire movie industry with its fantastic capacity to feed to us all glib visual images accompanied by epic music. There is no limit to their preposterosity and gravity seems to be absent. The Anime world does not do gravitas and epic Hollywood movies are not ‘modest’.

In that photograph, nearby Tolkien in his calm repose, hidden well, is a Hobbit hole. Breakfast and dinner will be served in a timely fashion with in-betweens by the fire when dreams are told in comfort and safety.

A plug of best Longbottom leaf helps to boost courage when the flickering flames crackle!

Maybe the best dreams are organic?

Regards,

#20   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2018, 08:50 PM
Texas

Hails from United States

Heh, I remember reading in the Letters how JRRT wrote that being a cult figure in one's own lifetime is not pleasant. Apparently people came to his house and bugged him
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2018, 04:46 AM
Lord of the Arts
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

I used to have dreams where I was in school and was totally naked. Some of those dreams had me trying to walk home without a stitch of clothing on while the rest of the world was normal. As I got older I had reoccurring dreams of the shadow people and sleep paralysis. In the last few years I have had reoccurring dreams about moving back into my old apartment....I've had some nightmares in my life that were pips, so I might paint up one of those.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2018, 09:20 PM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

This is a really great conversation.

I have a lot of busy dreams. Dreams where I'm doing something like sorting closets, or such. I find sorting closets very relaxing so it's not a bad dream, but I always wake up thinking I've accomplished much.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2018, 11:07 PM
Lord of the Arts
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

I've been going over some of the more visually oriented dreams...or nightmares....that I have chocked up to memory. They have to be visual 'cause the others don't work as art pieces. Ever since I was a teen I have slept with a pad and pencil by my bed to record nightmares and dreamscapes when I wake up, because otherwise I would forget most of them before noon.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2018, 09:46 AM
A WC! Legend
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

I hope all goes well for Terry. You know, if it wasn't for the surgery it almost sounds like a nice holiday.

You're rambling is interesting Pieter.

lol Um, I've had those naked dreams, but not in school, just other places. Very awkward. I never have the same dream twice but there are recurring themes. Like I often dream that I have to go to school, and when I'm there I don't know where my locker is or what class I'm supposed to be in, and I'm thinking that I haven't done any homework for a very long time and it's almost the end of the year. And all my classmates are there, like we all decided to go back and do grade 12 again. And I know I already graduated and start thinking I don't need to do this, I should just quit and go home and paint instead having to do homework.

I don't think I'm ever as productive as Virginia in my dreams but I do often wake up feeling like I was busy all night.

And I can fly in my dreams. I learned gradually. I still remember the dream where I was jumping over a puddle and kind of floated over it while moving my feet. In later dreams I kept going higher but never got very good at it. There always seem to be power lines everywhere and I'm afraid I'll hit them. Sometimes I might wonder if I'm dreaming so I check if I can fly, then I know lol.

I used to think about writing my dreams down but never did. That would have been handy now.

mkmcreations.com
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2018, 12:41 PM
Lord of the Arts
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

Larson Cartoon....
Attached Images

#26   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2018, 06:05 PM
Texas

Hails from United States
Talking Re: July Fantasy and Sci-Fi Art Monthly Challenge and Chat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWelch
Larson Cartoon....
Heh, oddly enough, I never harbored the monsters-under-the-bed delusion, but I did get scared out of my wits by the Disney "Darby O'Gill and the Little People" version of the Banshee. It didn't bother my sister in the least, but the transformation of the Wicked Queen in "Snow White" left her in hysterics. A very individual thing
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2018, 08:15 PM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

My sister told her son who was afraid of the dark that monsters were also afraid of the dark and accidentally turned him into a night owl.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2018, 09:00 PM
Tasmania, Australia

Hails from Australia

Hi everyone,

In the spirit of this month’s Fantasy Art challenge I ponder: “Maybe the best dreams are organic?”

So, here I am, in my ‘hobbit’ hole, an illustrator by his easel and workstation. My hole is windowless and dome skylights diffuse the daylight, offering an evenness of light all day. My hobbit hole is bigger than those of ‘lore’ and especially built for active creativity.

I sit and muse our subject matter: “Inspired by a Dream”. I fray the periphery to take a glimpse inside.

The operative word is ‘inspired’ and the ‘dream’ is a spark.

An illustrator’s job is to fantasise.

Let’s write a ‘brief’.

Task: “Create an artwork about my dream”.

My interpretive artwork may be original and gritty: Hopefully organic with scented earthiness permeating throughout.

Anxiety with implausible tenseness is essentially its fundamental focus.

Indispensable dramatic theatrical vitality may be an integral basic makeup as the grittiness shows throughout.

Any drift towards clean stylistics such as Anime are discouraged. Dreams are of me, by me, about me and, as such, dreams are formed with a rudimentary visual fertility, openly raw and disturbingly honest.

Central is the dream; its foundational focal point began with the real me, for “I” only.

My ‘dream’ art conveys something pivotal, something critical about whom I am.

I ask: “Am I?”

....to cont.

#29   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2018, 09:10 PM
Tasmania, Australia

Hails from Australia

... dream brief continues:

My Dream Sequences

The Field
I see a barren field that once was with great abundance, freedom, and happiness.

A Dandelion
There is a child in the barren field with its solitary dandelion that represents a pleasant and joyous gift. A sense of contentment permeates the atmosphere like it is a dream within a dream that brings to me past memories from my childhood.
I am that child and I pick the flower to blow a spray of dandelion into the air to seed the barren ground, then with this fleeting moment I visualise mementos of time passing, memories that are like parachutes on the currents of air, each one a precious capsule.

The Butterflies
I may be undergoing some sort of transformation because the dandelion spears morph into butterflies which flutter to signify creativity in flight, romance, joy and spirituality, shining in the reflected light over my new field of flowers.
Perhaps my dream is the most outgoing expression, an inspiration to be free.

The Eyes
Above the blossoming field I see eyes in the immense sky, smoky blue eyes suggesting that I am overly emotional. It may be telling me to be more sympathetic in my refreshing moments.
I dream the eyes are crying red tears symbolizes the sacrifices I must make and the difficulties I have to endure new beginnings.
I sense the dream signifies deep pain to come and internal conflicts within my soul. There is no physical pain, but I am hurting inside. Unrest and uneasiness within me needs to be addressed and resolved soon.
The butterflies mass and morph into a phalanx of Lancaster Bombers flying formation over my field, my own field where I am frozen by the droning throb of destruction.

The Eyebrows
Eyebrows in the sky express amazement, disbelief, surprise, and they amplify my doubt. Am I wrong? The question hangs in the spaces to those flying bombs.

Eye Contact
I gaze at my dream making eye contact with the sky to highlight my unfeeling confidence, allure and desirability. I look for some sort of connection that must be seen and I think: “Surely I can be brave?”

Hair
Her sky-blown hair in my dream appears to glow virility, seduction, sensuality, vanity, and health. It seems to indicate to me my attitude, my desire to touch the freedom shining from long tresses of many thoughts, caught in the wind to express uninhibited feelings.

Abandonment
I am abandoned in my lonely field of deadening silence. It is time to leave behind past feelings and characteristics that are hindering my growth. Let go of my old attitudes because those are unresolved feelings and baggage from my childhood.
I am ready to abandon my field of dreams astounded by the problems and decisions to be in my future life.
Rolls of razor wire fence my field. How can I escape?
Suddenly a single butterfly flutters boldly, making a wind that strongly blows tumbling down the Statue of Liberty.

Resolution?
Out of the dark field a child clambers over a bridge of broken masonry, into the light distant.

... now, to illustrate this big fantasy 'Dream' challenge...

Regards,
Pieter Z

Last edited by zaadz : 07-06-2018 at 09:17 PM.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2018, 10:50 AM
WC! Guide
Missouri, I'm still in Colorado in my heart

Hails from United States

Wow Pieter you put a great deal of thought into this!

Looking forward to your artwork.

I just have and idea in my head and try to put in on to canvas, sometimes successfully, other times not so much.

Dianna
WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art

C and C always welcome.
My DeviantArt Gallery http://dianna-art.deviantart.com/gallery/