WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2018, 04:42 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns..... July 2018

Annie, it really looks like you have a full life, and I say enjoy it all even if it does run late - I'm glad you met your new pastor; it's always a treat to get to know a whole new family!

Today's Cryptoquote:

"If you want to make good use of your time, you've got to know what's most important and then give it all you've got." - Lee Iacocca

Marcia, it looks like we might get some rain today, too. I think the weathermen around here get embarrassed a lot, because they're always predicting rain, and then they get disappointed - along with the rest of us. I just go ahead and water my roses no matter what they say...

#62   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2018, 06:12 PM
A WC! Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA
What's your secret to being as effectively busy as you are? I suspect it's just a very high energy level, right?

Today I have been ineffectivelly busy! Lots of interruptions and email correspondence, no painting today (booo!), and I need to work on a paying job, so I don't fall behind with it, before I have to go to an arts council board meeting tonight at 6 (most of the emails today regarded tonight's meeting).

I supplement my energy levels with lots of naps (not today though).

The movie sounds amazing, and I will have to tell my friends about Kedi on Netflix. I lent out my DVD, and haven't gotten it back yet.

Had some thunder, but no rain here at the house, it was all concentrated about 5 miles away on the hills south of here. 44% humidity, but it has been cooler today.

Nancy, I watered my potted plants today too. I didn't before I left Monday because of the previous day's storm soaked everything, and a couple were wilting when I got home yesterday. Thankfully a drink revived them.
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2018, 09:21 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Marcia I totally feel your pain on all the interruptions, I was trying to do some actual painting today, but kept getting paused by family and phone calls, and other important pressing matters (like eating food).

Still though, I managed to finish editing a video on my block in approach. Well with what video I had left, lost a lot of footage due to bumping my tripod that my camera was mounted on. I should have checked the footage while still painting. . . but I was in the paint mode and forgot. Oh well, still got a lot of it shown, I will just do a video for showing the color application later. I linked it in the technical subforum in a thread about Solvent Free Painting, but I'll repost it here for you all.

Nancy, that is a great quote, and something I have been really bad about in my life. I am terrible at knowing what is important, and simply deciding not to do it anyhow. . . procrastinator number one (me).

Annie, I don't know what Marcia's secret to productivity is. . . but mine is skipping food, sleep, and adding coffee (I am mostly kidding here, mostly).

I have to get busy with more painting and video making, takes a lot of energy learning how to make videos that look somewhat professional. I have a lot fo work to do on making them look good and more importantly sound good. . . ugh, my microphone is so bad. All things in due time though, still a learning curve and will just need to spend a few hours redoing the audio when I get a new mic.

Delofasht
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2018, 04:04 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Delo...well done with the tutorial....very professional...I like the voice dubover and good choice of colours... personally don't like raw umber for most portrait/figure work, but for this piece works well...thank you for sharing...I have not tried painting into oil...would likely drive me mad but that said maybe will give a small one a try, just using turp and waiting for it to dry is maddening enough and I really don't like picking up that drawing colour into the painting That said is works here...

as for busyness...it happens I guess, just is life happening really...suppose some do choose to overcommit...have seen this with some personalities and others let it flow...guess in the end it is establishing a meter of significance or importance..some things I know are personally important and some maybe essentially important...some is an illusion...

when I was painting regularly...my output was 50 to 80+ paintings a year...I don't feel at all bad that has dropped, have had much that requires focus and the painting element has had time to evolve as various ideas to explore and in time something of it will no doubt be a reality...am at a kind of crossroads, so not really certain what will be
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2018, 09:24 AM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Thanks for taking a look at the video Becca, I found recording the audio the most time consuming part of the process. Had to cut and splice a bit here and there to make it sound natural and fill the empty space up without sounding rushed. I use a few other painting methods as well, and cannot really say when or why I vary them, sometimes it is just based on what I have around me at the time or the effect I need to capture.

I totally understand that output requiring a lot of focus, I took a month at one point and did about a dozen paintings in that month. . . it was exhausting and most of the works do not look very inspired to me. Now I try to devote more energy into one painting rather than do a bunch of mediocre ones.

Delofasht
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2018, 09:37 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

The audio sounds very fluid, you did a great job of splicing...

and yes, can't say all the paintings were esp bad, or good, from that period, there was a mix I guess, and actually did most of my figuratives for my sorrow series in about 2 weeks, painting time anyway .. the ref and concept had already been defined.... sometimes the thinking about it time is most crucial and most time consuming...your thoughts of focusing on quality are valid...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2018, 04:22 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Delo, the tutorial was fun! I'm in the habit of doing a series of small sketches of how I want a painting to end up even if I want do it large. That gives me the ability to change things as often as I want, but I do it in pencil or colored pencil. That way I don't have to get my fingers into oil paint, plus it helps me get a good balance for the images.

#68   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2018, 06:12 PM
A WC! Legend

Nice video, Delo, I am looking forward to more installments. I think you do a pretty professional job already.

I am still trying to get painting.
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2018, 02:24 AM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Nancy, I am glad you found the tutorial fun! I do not use my fingers much in paint, only for applying the walnut oil to my surface. Not a big fan of the way the pigment in paint seems to get into the ridges of my skin and in my pores, so difficult to get off sometimes (certain pigments are worse than others).

Marcia, thanks! Turns out video making is pretty easy with the free software with my Mac, but there are a lot of very annoying hoops I have to jump through when combining multiple videos at once. Also, I am failing at getting started painting these past couple days, been fighting some kind of virus that is sapping all my strength and making me sleep like 14 hours a day. Ugh, I hate getting sick, sore throat, body aches, temperature is all over the place. . . bah.

Delofasht
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2018, 03:02 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Hey, Delo, I couldn't see a video in your post. Is there a link to it someplace?

I found out today that the problem I thought was resolved really is not, and apparently I will be going around and around on it forever. I am getting depressed...

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 07-13-2018 at 03:05 AM.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2018, 06:05 AM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Annie, I posted it directly into the thread, so you should have been able to just click the play icon in the post, but I guess some browsers may have an issue with that. Here is a link to the video directly on YouTube:

Blocking In

I genuinely hope you can get your problem resolved, depression is rough stuff and is like a permanent battle for me.

At any rate though, I hope the video gives you a bit of insight into how I use a couch of oil, you could also wipe out with a paper towel on this couch. It is also why I actually use the absorbent homemade grounds, the absorbency is important to getting the initial color to stay put. I used this same approach on my peregrine falcon that I did years ago and shared the steps here, except I used colors for my drawing with the brush there (instead of just one color). That was a really small piece on gessobord, so it had enough absorbency to set up within about an hour or so (a bit less absorbent than my current grounds).

Delofasht
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2018, 09:33 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Quote:
I found out today that the problem I thought was resolved really is not, and apparently I will be going around and around on it forever. I am getting depressed...

Annie, if its true that misery loves company....just know my issues are huge and though I thought somewhat resolved have hit a snag too...lets NOT be depressed together...seems some of us must be destined to be haunted by some things forever....

Actually until this lifts I still will not likely be painting...

Delo, sorry for the bug....hope you are overcoming it now...being sick sucks...

Nancy, we are finally having something like summer here now...though nothing like the plains...

Marcia...I feel your frustration...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2018, 12:47 PM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats, and fellow nonpainting Painters!!!

My prospects look good today, though. Then again, they always do at the beginning of the day. Right now, I am sitting at the mechanics getting the oil changed on the 'Roo. Glad we can all commiserate and not be depressed together.

Delo, sorry you are under the weather, hope you feel better soon!

Annie and Becca, sorry stuff keeps dragging on and on and on..., it really can be discouraging as well as depressing.
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2018, 04:46 PM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Becca & Marcia, thanks for the well wishes, hopefully I can overcome this completely in the next couple days. Being sick makes it really hard to paint for more than an hour at a time.

I did manage to record the footage for applying a ground to my hardboard, need to write up a script for what to talk about for a couple minutes during it though. It is not exactly super unusual application or anything, but the ground itself is a Casein emulsion mixed with some marble dust. The resulting panels were super velvety soft and smooth even with my really rough application and no sanding. I could go back and sand them to an ultra smooth finish if I wanted, but I prefer to avoid sanding if at all possible. The brush strokes left in the priming looks nice to me anyhow.

Delofasht
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2018, 04:50 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

If ever a Cryptoquote made a lot of sense for us, this one today should! I hope none of is coming down sick. Annie and Delo, I hope you feel better again soonest.

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy." - Guillaume Apollinaire

I've been struggling over a painting I want to take to the gallery. My husband is telling me I can't sell it because he wants it. Now I'm wondering if it would be cheating if I repainted it and made it look slightly different for the gallery.

I don't want to do anything that would ruin my reputation. Any advice, friends?