WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2018, 03:32 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns..... July 2018

Oh, what a cutie, Marcia. I think you're already hooked and I can see why. What are you going to name the little guy? (gal?)
That's a long time to wait to hear what happens with that exhibit...

Nancy, another great cryptoquote. I can see why you like them!

I used color shapers when I worked with pastels - they were especially good for blending areas of oil pastels. They're like a brush, but instead of bristles on the end there's a piece of silicone (or some similar material - soft-ish but holds its shape), that can be used to push color around. There are several selections of shapes for them: pointed cone shape, chisel, cupped chisel, and lots more, with each one being able to make different marks. They seem a little pricy, but I guess not really more than what a brush would cost. There are different hardnesses too, at least two that I know of (hard and soft) and there may be a medium softness. They're pretty handy. If you want to try them out without paying for a professional one, there are less expensive versions for children with short handles - the shaped silicone piece on the end seems to me to be just the same. Apparently there are now several manufacturers: https://www.dickblick.com/brands/colourshapers/

Princeton makes a related product in a much larger size as part of their Catalyst range. They have long handles and the end looks something like a fat palette knife blade (shorter though) of hard silicone (or something). They have different shapes and each one is a different color They can be fun to play with, They're hard to describe but you can find info about them online: https://www.princetonbrush.com/catal...-paint-blades/

AND...there are even some hand-shaped tools in the same Catalyst line that are made of the same material. They don't have a handle but instead are shaped like a bowl scraper (for cooking), and have various shaped ends. One might have a pinking shears kind of tooth-shaped end, for instance, that when dragged across paint will create spaced lines. They're even more useful when painting in acrylics with various impasto-like mediums that can be manipulated in interesting ways with them.

Pearl is pretty much recovered now, although I noticed she jumped when I made a noise that surprised her earlier today, and she didn't want to come outside to explore for a while but just sat by the open door instead. She'll be fine, though. I'll be fine too, as the problem that was of such concern for a while now apparently will be resolved soon. I'm so glad because I was losing too much sleep!

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 07-07-2018 at 03:43 AM.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2018, 11:50 AM
A WC! Legend

Happy Caturday Everybody!!!

The new kitty's name is Marvel. The candle dresser/crazy cat lady, from here on in known as Mel, is pretty sure it is a girl. She is still a wee bit too young to know her sex definitely, but the name works either way. I will post more pics later when I get them off my camera into my laptop. I am pretty sure she is staying, unless someone claims her. Mel called animal control to report her found, althoug I don't think anyone will be looking for her. Tiny animals don't fare well out here alone, hence her name.

Annie, thank you for the info and links! There are some how-to vids on youtube, so I am going to learn what I can. And I am glad I am not the only who had never heard of shapers, although I have seen the spatula type you mentioned, which I associate mainly with clay, and I believe a friend who does very textured abstracts probably uses them.

Nancy, how nice of you to keep your friend company at the gallery, it makes the time go so much faster. Is it the Prix de West You are talking about? I would so love to see that some day. Art museums are fine, but I would like to see more in a large exhibit from living Masters.

#48   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2018, 03:32 PM
A WC! Legend

I just figure out that photo ^, the cat is sitting on a glass table, licking the top.

Me, I need practice photographing kitties, none of the ones I took this morning of Marvel are any good. I need to take lessons from Mosc and her husband!

She learned to play with a crinkled piece of paper, which was also Skeez's favorite toy as a kitten.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2018, 09:44 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Yes Marcia..the Prix de West...it is awesome and even better to meet the artists themselves there....have been 2xs...memorable and great to spend time with Nancy too...the art is truly awesome...

and your kitty pix are sweet...sorta motion shots...lol...maybe you need to increase that shutter speed until she slows down...

same ole same ole here...although quieter weekend than I'v had in a little while..needed sometimes.
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2018, 11:05 AM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

We had a cloudburst yesterday:

It rained hard for about 20 min, just plain rained for another 30, which cooled things off nicely last night, but this morning... it's humid. A taste of what Jessicat, Carey, and others have been getting for awhile.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2018, 12:32 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Nancy, if it is the Prix de West, could you send us some photos of paintings? I'm just very curious about it. And Marcia's right - very nice of you to keep your friend company while gallery sitting.

Becca, how fun to visit Nancy for the Prix de West!

Marcia, Marvel! Purr-fect name! That shot of the rain outside your window is gorgeous. It's just begging to be painted and I hope you do.

Yesterday I went to a friend's half-birthday party (she had been too busy on the actual date to celebrate). The theme of the party was "cheese" and there was an amazing spread of different types that everyone had brought (I did a caprese salad). What an incredibly talented family - her son played the harp and my friend sang in Ladino (a Spanish/Hebrew language) - it was beautiful. Even though I was pretty tired, I had a really nice time and met some more film buffs.

Today I'm off to church to meet the new pastor at our annual picnic. Still haven't really caught up on sleep. After solving the problem that was keeping me awake, I got so excited about being able to paint again that I stayed up until 2AM on Friday evening painting! I'm bringing an energy drink for my volunteer shift tonight!

― Sir Thomas Browne

#52   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2018, 12:42 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Yes, Annie, Nancy and I have hung out a few times...she and himself even came to my opening at the Shafer Gallery in KS a few years back...

here is a link to the art at the Prix this year: https://pdw.nationalcowboymuseum.org

Glad you'v been having a good time...that is essential as sleep

Marcia...great pic of the rain..so dramatic in the desert...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2018, 12:15 AM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Wow, Marsha, what a cutie your new kitty is! With all that activity, it probably is male... just a guess...

Yes, it's the Prix de West, and it will be here until the end of the month. I would love to join any of you who would like to see it with me, I never get tired of art this beautiful. I may be a disappointment in person, but I can guarantee you'll love the artists' works. They knock my socks off!!! Next year, I'll send y'all an earlier invitation; it's usually here for three months.

Went to Santa Fe Cattle Company for lunch again this week; when Himself takes me to lunch, I ask for it because their food never makes me ill, as so many other restaurants do. Their Southwestern Tilapia is really delicious. So, if any of you visit us next year, we'll be sure to go there, to!

#54   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2018, 10:10 AM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Weird weather this morning. Well, for the desert, anyway. It is similar to the marine layer that happens here on the coast, gray skies and a thin fog. Kind of a nice change and there is a cool breez too.

I have to hang some paintings this morning and go to San Diego mid afternoon to pick up my bf at the airport tonight. Another busy day...
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2018, 02:05 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Marcia, send us some of that rain!

Becca, thanks for posting the Pri de West art! It reminded me that the exhibit goes on through the fifth of August. Seeing it online doesn't really impact you as much as seeing it in person - it pretty much knocks my socks off just to see it up close.

Annie, this is today's cryptoquote, and I'd love to see you solve it. There are several word repeats, so it might be much easier to solve. Give it a try!

Hint: the first word is "It's."

ZM'L DFM MNWM SZWXFDSL WBI W HCBV'L TILM JBZIDS, TRM ZT'L QFRB TILM JBZIDSL UNF WBI QFRB SZWXDSL. - HZDW TWBBIPW

I had trouble trying to solve the author's name!

#56   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2018, 03:57 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

All art is better in real life...well...let's say most of it...lol....but yes, Prix de West is mesmerizing...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2018, 11:57 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyMP
Marcia, send us some of that rain!

Becca, thanks for posting the Pri de West art! It reminded me that the exhibit goes on through the fifth of August. Seeing it online doesn't really impact you as much as seeing it in person - it pretty much knocks my socks off just to see it up close.

Annie, this is today's cryptoquote, and I'd love to see you solve it. There are several word repeats, so it might be much easier to solve. Give it a try!

Hint: the first word is "It's."

ZM'L DFM MNWM SZWXFDSL WBI W HCBV'L TILM JBZIDS, TRM ZT'L QFRB TILM JBZIDSL UNF WBI QFRB SZWXDSL. - HZDW TWBBIPW

I had trouble trying to solve the author's name!
Nancy, I can't solve anything today. I had another too-little-sleep night and am very fuzzy-brained. Maybe I'll try again some other day...thanks for offering it, though. I actually did fairly well earlier - I'm not moving quickly on my figure painting, but I am learning a lot, which is what's important.

― Sir Thomas Browne

#58   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2018, 02:19 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Annie, now I'm wishing my life was as busy as yours!

Here's yesterday's cryptoquote; I think it's a very nice one:

"It's not that diamonds are a girl's best friend, but it's your best friends who are your diamonds." - Gina Barreca

#59   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2018, 10:26 AM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

We got home mid afternoon yesterday, a little later than Imhad hoped, but everything was fine.

Hoping to finally get back to painting today.

Nancy, I really liked that latest cryptoquote!
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2018, 01:05 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Nancy, my life gets very busy but then I overdo it so that it has to get very un-busy while I recover. It would be much better to regulate the busyness more effectively! That really was a good cryptoquote.

Marcia, best wishes on your painting. What's your secret to being as effectively busy as you are? I suspect it's just a very high energy level, right?

Last night I went to a small dinner to get to know our church's new pastor. It was very nice - the host had gone overboard and there were some wonderful dishes. And the pastor and his wife and two young boys are very nice people. But I didn't get home until 11:30 or so, and then couldn't get to sleep for another couple of hours (this is often where my problem lies). I really am going to need to cut out all evening events until I'm able to re-adjust my sleep schedule!

I didn't mention it earlier, but last Friday I went to an opening of a gallery show of one of my former instructors. It was a very good gallery in the high-end gallery district downtown, and he had a whole room to himself, filled with his latest paintings. When I spoke to him, he'd already sold one so I'm really happy for him. And then I went to see a movie that I'd missed during the festival. It was The Last Suit, about an elderly Argentinian Jewish man whose family was just about to put him in a nursing home, but instead he escapes and goes on an odyessy to find a friend he hadn't seen for 70 years, who had saved his life after he had been in a concentration camp in Poland. It was an excellent film. Also, did you all know that Kedi, the film I had mentioned a while ago about the cats of Istanbul, is now on Netflix. It was amazing and wonderful and I recommend it highly!

Today is going to be another fuzzy-brained day because of lack of sleep. I probably shouldn't try to paint but may give it a go anyway.

― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 07-11-2018 at 01:17 PM.