WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2018, 11:16 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns..... July 2018

Glad you all liked that art too...hard not to...

Marcia, the jack rabbits are cool...glad they are befriending you

this is such a weird week with the 4th being in the middle...hard to get up and running again today
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2018, 02:04 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Marcia and Nancy, thanks for the feedback on my figure painting.

Becca, lovely photos from your window once again - the colors of your dawns are always so spectacular. I hope the Canadian saga resolves itself ASAP. The image you posted of Bill Carman's work was surprising! It's strange but delightful at the same time. It makes me wonder what the story behind it was...

Marcia, I'm only just now catching up on my sleep - although honestly, sometimes I feel as if I'll never really catch up! My figure painting really has a long way to go - those black lines are just the initial oil drawing still showing through. But thanks for the good wishes. Your painting was accepted!!! Wow! A big congrats! When do you hear about the judging? Actually, just being accepted is huge. The painting is terrific so you deserved it! Best wishes on selling some of those small pieces. Cute patriotic cat pic. And what fun to have the rabbits visiting. The wildlife here mostly consists of birds, squirrels, and for a while, some very cheeky racoons.

Nancy, your cryptoquote is from one of the lesser-known verses of "America the Beautiful." Actually, all but the first are lesser-known.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America_the_Beautiful And it's missing the word "mercy," which is maybe why you wanted to add something:
Quote:
Who more than self their country loved
And mercy more than life!

Last night, Pearl was totally terrified by the loud fireworks. I don't recall that she was so frightened last year. She kept running from one "safe" place to another - under the dining table, under the wing chair, under the bed - but none of them really felt safe because the "boom" noises didn't go away. I had to leave her alone because my attempts to comfort her seemed to make things worse. I felt so bad for her. But she's fine now , and currently pestering me because she wants to have a play session.

I'm still working on my impossible paperwork. Actually, at the moment I'm avoiding working on my impossible paperwork by posting a long comment here. <laughing at self

I hope everyone had a terrific 4th!

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 07-05-2018 at 02:10 PM.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2018, 10:10 PM
A WC! Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA
Marcia, ...When do you hear about the judging?

Not until the opening, which is Sept 15, so quite awhile yet. If I recall correctly, they have 5 or 6 local people jury in the show, then someone else judges the show. Here is the press release if anyone is interested:
http://jtnparts.org/media-room
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2018, 10:17 PM
A WC! Legend

AAAAGGHHHH!!!!

Am I the last person on the planet to have heard of Color Shapers?
https://www.theartleague.org/blog/20...color-shapers/
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2018, 10:19 PM
A WC! Legend

I was reading this article, and really digging this guy's work, when he mentioned rubber colour shapers. Oooooh.
https://www.theartistsroad.net/artic...e682-330117933
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2018, 10:46 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

It was pretty bad here, too. The firecrackers went on up to 3 am, and we had to take our cats to bed with us. So when it finally stopped and we put them out of the bedroom, all five of us managed to get some sleep.

I'm just glad we don't have any dogs now, because I remember how painful it can be for their ears. It almost made me cry.

Oklahoma sponsors major firework shows in its cities, and it is supposed to be illegal to set off firecrackers all night, but somehow, nobody ever manages to get caught. Makes me wonder if some of the cops are in with the firecracker guys...

Marcia
, I love those rabbits! Is it okay for me to paint one of 'em for small sketch?

The trees in our yard are huge, seeing that they were planted in 1950. One of them in the back yard is bent over our roof, and we hear a plethora of squirrels pounding across the roof every day ... it's a good thing I had a new roof put in a year ago!

Annie, thanks for the info! It looked like that quote needed something.

When I finally got to the gallery today with a couple of new paintings, I found out that I had sold a painting and a card this month. The painting was an encaustic, and I find that they sell better than my oils! I wonder if it's because I have lower prices on them, because it doesn't take very long to paint them.

I need to start doing some more encaustic paintings, in case I run out.

#37   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2018, 01:41 AM
A WC! Legend

Nancy, by all means, paint those bunnies! The one you did a few years ago that is in your sig, always makes me smile. I missed that rabbit so much (he only hung out for one summer), I was thrilled to see so many at the new place, even though I usually only see them after they see me and take off!

Congrats on the sale! I see my sales vibes are already having a positive effect, even if the sale probably happened earlier.

I spent a quiet 4th of July evening at home, but this week is flying by! I am met BFF, and her mom and uncle in Palm Springs for lunch, where It was a balmy 113°. it is usually about 10° warmer down there as a rule. They were passing through on their way to visit family.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2018, 02:43 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Thanks Annie, sorry Pearl had such a bad day....was fairly quiet here...that was a good thing or I would have been hiding under a chair....did make one bad decision...should have gone to the waterfront for the concerts...was one awesome group there I learned too late.. Larkin Poe...sorry I missed them....seems to have been a string of days like that.

Marcia, the pushers are interesting, suppose a little like a flexible knife??? and his work is amazing....

Nancy, congrats...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2018, 11:28 AM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

I wish Mark would check in and let us know how he is doing. I think he had some tests or a procedure about the same time Nancy did?

7:15 ayem, and it is pleasant out. Supposed to be the hottest day today, then slowly going back to normal temps. Which is hot enough, thank you.

The candle dresser was doing her thing last night in the library/studio, when she heard a kitten crying outside the door. We managed to catch it, and it is now quarantined in there. It is about 8 weeks old, gray and white, and hiding under the couch. She is going to check around and see if she can get it in someplace to be looked over. She's a crazy cat lady herself, with 11 cats (they have their own room, and a wrap around patio), and 3 or 4 dogs, so she really doesn't have th e space for it. I will be working, and hopefully painting a bit, in there today, so maybe it will come out from under the couch and say hello. I put some litter in a shallow cardboard box and it used it, so I am suspecting that it is someone's pet, and not feral. Maybe from July 4th? I didn't hear any fireworks that night, but was inside all night.

Ugh, 15 minutes later and it is getting warm already. I better go get my outdoor chores done.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2018, 06:08 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

It would be good to hear from Mark...hope all is ok.

good luck with the kitty and the weather

still feel thrown off a bit by the mid week holiday...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2018, 07:35 PM
A WC! Legend

Just too cute!

If nobody claims it, there may be a new member of the fambly.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2018, 08:43 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Awwwwww!!!!!
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2018, 10:32 PM
A WC! Legend

I know right!?!?!
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2018, 11:38 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Marcia, that's an adorable kitty, and if you get to keep it, congrats! I've never heard of color shaping, either. I read the thing, and I still don't quite understand it.

Thanks for letting me paint the rabbits; I think they're adorable. I spent a good piece of the day keeping company with my best friend at the gallery. It was her day to work, and I know how boring it can get.

She's the same age I am, so we spend a lot of our time trying to figure out how we got so old so fast! I was telling her about my legs not working very well, and she says she staggers, too. Somehow it's comforting to have friends your own age.

Our first visitors were a couple of girls from Dallas, so I told them I found my latest husband in Dallas. Later, after they enjoyed seeing the gallery, we gave them directions to the biggest show in town with all the best western artists ... I did warn them that the prices start at about 100 thousand bucks there. I wish I could have joined them for it; the show will run through this month and it's a really incredible show.

We'll go back to see it again. It's all so beautiful, it really makes my paintings look childish!

#45   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2018, 12:40 AM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

I forgot to give you the cryptoquote for the day:

"Talent is like money. You don't have to have some to talk about it." - Jules Renard