WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2018, 10:54 AM
A WC! Legend

Re: As the Oily Rag Burns..... July 2018

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

No plans for me today. I do need to go up to the old place, collect rent and collect a bunch of small pieces to hang at a local restaurant on Monday. Hanging it won't be a big deal, but it will all need to be cataloged. I am hoping to divest myself of a bunch of small pieces that I have had stored for awhile. I think I will do that tomorrow.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2018, 05:20 PM
Lord of the Arts
With my pets >'.'<

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyMP
Looks like I got another soul mate in Floating Dove - not only the cryptoquotes, but there's a cat sitting on my lap snoring at this very moment. My other two cats are sleeping, too. Um, since it's past midnight, I ought to follow their lead.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Three cats here too! Four dogs and two parakeets, oh, and a fish tank for the kitties. The all get along fine. Yes Nancy, cats sleep A LOT. I believe they are not just sleeping though, there is some kind of activity always going on in their slumber.

My Cassandra Cat's Art Page~https://www.facebook.com/OilPainting...y/?ref=tn_tnmn
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2018, 10:12 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Today's Cryptoquote wasn't as much fun as yesterday's, but it's still a good thought:

"Friends show their love in times of trouble, not in happiness." - Euripides

Actually, I think making friends feel good about themselves is nice, and I try to do it a lot.

Floating Dove, I hope your dogs get through tomorrow okay. At the moment, I'm glad I only have indoor cats, since it's a fireworks day; it used to drive my poor dogs crazy.

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2018, 02:12 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Floating Dove, that was a terrific - and terrifically fast - solution. You must do them a lot.
Floating Dove and Nancy: Is there a secret or a special approach?

Sunday night, I was worried about some paperwork and woke up at 4:30AM (after getting to be after midnight) and couldn't get back to sleep. I managed to get some stuff done during the day, including getting to my painting class, but although I should have gotten to sleep as soon as I arrived home, instead I felt too tired to sleep (does anyone know how that feels?) and didn't get to bed until after 1AM. So today was an almost entirely wasted day. I didn't get much of anything done besides watering plants and installing a Cat-It device on Pearl's scratching post (she can rub up against it and it feels like being groomed). And then there was the burnt popcorn episode that filled the place with smoke. Bleh...I hate days like this. Sorry for my complaints, but it really was an icky day.

On the brighter side, I noticed again today that something about being enrolled in my classes seems to be sparking ideas. Ideas for paintings and series of paintings just seem to pop into my head. It feels really good! And things seem to be going well in my figure painting class. The 2nd week WIP image is here: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21395850&postcount=7 Please keep in mind there's a long way to go still so no need for critique. The black lines are the initial oil sketch which hasn't been all covered up yet. My instructor says the painting's going through "adolescence" at this stage.

Have any of you seen the PBS program, Civilizations? Tonight's episode was titled, "What is Art? (Good For)" and was an exploration of the cultural meanings of art and how they've evolved. The art historian Simon Schama (I really like him but he's a bit over the top at times and apparently an aquired taste) was the narrator and it was very, very good.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 07-04-2018 at 02:31 AM.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2018, 10:19 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Too many days like that here Annie...glad you isolated it to one...

the figure is coming along great..

Portland this morning, much earlier than I really wanted to see it, but at least spectacular...

Name:  july 4 resize.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  330.1 KB

Name:  july 4 2 resize.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  287.9 KB
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2018, 10:29 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

btw...Canadian saga continues...the big step has turned out to be sorta a half step...significant, but about 12 months left for complete resolution..with more steps in between....and even the half step has cogs thrown in and still awaiting completion of that phase...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2018, 11:38 AM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Bf is in Brunswick Maine, roasting. I hope all of you east of the Rockies get a break from the heat. It is miserable here, but 'normal' miserable. Actually, not as bad because of the dryness, even though I would still love to have some rain. Keep cool!

Annie, I hope you caught up on your sleep and today is going better. I know all about that awkward stage - there are times when I think mine will never 'grow out of it'!

I think your figure looks great, it is a really neat style. You could call it finished at this point really, but since it is a class assignment, keep us updated on your progress. Thank you so much for sharing it.

Becca sorry to hear the Ca saga continues to be a long, drawn out affair. Continued good luck with it, and I hope it comes to a faster conclusion!

Beautiful photos, I never tire of seeing them. Could one of these possibly become a painting? You may not have the 'best' view, but I think it is a pretty darn good one!
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2018, 11:44 AM
A WC! Legend

I had to go back and make sure I didn't already mention this, but Samuelson's Rock was chosen out of my 3 entries for the National Park Show. I wasn't sure that a painting with a political statement would be accetable, even if it was made 90 years ago and is on Park property, but it got in.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2018, 12:13 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Thanks Marcia....most in Ca will be wrapped up this fall...but can't avoid the 6 months of continuation next year...

congrats ont the Rock making the list!
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2018, 03:36 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Becca, I loved your second shot; what a gorgeous view of the city! I hope your smaller artworks sell. I'm taking in a large, a medium, and a small painting for our hanging tomorrow, and I hope something sells in July - none of my paintings sold in June.

Marcia, I love that rock, and would have chosen it myself had I been one of the deciders!

Annie, I think we two cryptoquote solvers just can't quit once we decide to solve. Your painting looks like it has a good start, and you'll need to show us the finish when it's done.

Here's today's cryptoquote, appropriate to the day:

"O Beautiful for heroes proved, in liberating strife, who more than self, their country loved, and more than life." - Catharine Lee Bates

I kept wanting to add "itself" after "life" but it wasn't in the quote.

#26   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2018, 04:14 PM
A WC! Legend

Nancy, your cryptoquote reminded me that I meant to post this:

I am hanging a bunch of small pieces at a local restaurant on Monday. I hope we all get some sales!
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2018, 04:25 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Good luck with the small paintings Marcia..

and Nancy, thank you...I think you were meaning Marcia for those small paintings, I have nothing out....good luck at your gallery
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2018, 09:41 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

When I was in NYC and in Soho looking for Jeremy Lipking's opening stumbled into this gallery...signed up for their mailing list...and just love this one...

Name:  36631742_2008888739145656_6360353455885778944_n.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  70.0 KB

Quote:
Archival prints of Bill Carman's whimsical illustration "Proscenium Hill", signed by the artist
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2018, 01:36 AM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Thank goodness they finally stopped the fireworks so I can get some sleep.

Becca, what a delightful painting - art can be so fun! Yawn...goodnight!

#30   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2018, 02:44 AM
A WC! Legend

Becca, that painting is really cool! I would have checked the artist out too.

So excited! I was cleaning up tonight, and a pair of jack rabbits came in close for a bite to eat. They have been around since we moved here, but it has taken awhile for them to get used to me and not bolting away when they see me.

And the painting went well today, but the light was gone by the time I had a moment to take a picture. Mańana...