WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2018, 02:45 AM

Re: Oil-from-life challenge, July 2018: optional "figure-in-landscape" theme

Geoff, it has turned out great! I love how harmonious this limited color palette looks. And the story behind this made it even better. I bet it also made their day too! Yes, even with a paint-splattered guy. You could say you have added some colors to their life. Haha.

I've been painting with gouaches cuz there are way too many people here for my liking and it was easier to flee just in case. I actually had to do that yesterday. 6 people were watching me painting. Mind you, I can handle one or so, but this was way too much. With oil it would have taken me other 30 min to clean it up and flee. Lol I'm weak.

I'm about to travel to France today and the campsite we will be staying will be much smaller and less family oriented so hopefully I will feel more comfortable with it.

Greetings
Dm7
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2018, 04:50 PM

This is the result of painting a picture provided by a coworker of mine who wanted me to paint a favorite spot of his. His photo was taken on an overcast day and I was give artistic license to brighten up the scene.

This is a first study, 12X18 oil on ACM panel. I plan to do another on 18X24 after getting feedback from my coworker.

source photo

#18   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2018, 10:29 PM
Enthusiast

DMArtist, thanks for your kind words! I am pleasantly surprised how nicely the limited palette worked. I am going to try it again for my next outing -- I hope tomorrow. It made for good practice mixing colors.

I understand how you feel about fleeing from spectators. Today I was trying to find a spot to paint near a river, but it was swarming with people, and I just didn't feel like dealing with awkward silences from onlookers as they see my first sketch or lay-in. (I think people don't understand that paintings don't spring from life, fully formed!) Or the questions -- "are you painting?" being my least favorite, lol. But if a painting is going well, then I love having spectators.

Jae, looks good! Have you been to that spot in person? Maybe try doing a study from life?
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2018, 08:54 AM

@grotius, meant to post this on the 'whats on your easel' thread, can you delete from this thread? Sorry about that.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2018, 11:41 AM
Enthusiast

Jae, it's okay, no need to delete it from this thread. We're pretty relaxed in here! But do go ahead and post it in the "Easel" thread.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2018, 02:50 PM

Geoff, no problem! Yeah it is the best way to learn how to mix the colors, perhaps I should do the same for a change. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about the spectators. I think you have a good point about the painting... I was struggling to get gouaches to work with me. It was drying too fast under full blazing sun. It just made me miss oil even more! Haha.

Jae, it is a nice piece! I think even though you have a reference for it, it might do you wonder if you can visit the location yourself. If it is even possible. The reason I said this is cuz it is super tricky to try and change the lighting without knowing how it really looks like in the sunlight. It is a huge challenge to try and tackle down for sure good result so far though. Keep it up!

Today I hiked to a spot called blue source and I decided it will be one of the spots for plein air in few days. I also have planned my plein air day tomorrow too. I will paint the lovely river where we are camping at. How exciting! It will be a good test.... I will get to stay and chill at my camper van's spot while enjoying the process. No stress. No spectators either unless they are brave enough to go around my camper van to take a peek. No problem! I can handle one or two. Haha it has been ages since I picked up oil so I will be a little rusty. Long story but in short I was not inspired in winter then had to pack them away cuz guests with kids were staying with us for a month. I was a little worried about the toxicity of it especially with kids around. Crazy life can happen sometimes.

Greetings
Dm7
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2018, 08:59 PM
Enthusiast

I can’t wait to see what you paint, DMA. I do get a little rusty if I haven’t used oils in a while, but I’m sure you’ll get back into the swing of things quickly. It sounds like an ideal location!

In my case, I moved from the sublime (the Washington National Cathedral) to the ridiculous — an alley with a dumpster. What can I say — this scene caught my eye! Once again I used a limited palette, though this time I added black. I was using Geneva Oil Paints, which have medium mixed in. They were fine for the Cathedral picture, which I did on an absorbent surface, but not with the smooth panel I used today. Still, it turned out okay. “At the dumpster,” oil on panel, 11” c 14.”

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2018, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

hi,
posting an unfinished nocturne with the main characters missing, all wrong greens and a couple of things just right in the background. the foreground is lacking just about everything and this took 5 hours. the green should be more muted, there are clouds of white flowers as if shining their own light, the sand path should be as light as the large stone and i gave up work when the tree on the right got the better of me. four months without painting took their toll, posting in hope it'll help continue this one.

thank you all for the beauty and inspiration going on here!

Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist. - Picasso
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2018, 02:13 PM
Lord of the Arts
Sevilla

Hails from Spain

I was painting today this scene. There was beautiful sunshine while I was painting but in the end of the day it started to rain and I decided to pack and go home. This photo is taken in the end, at 4 pm. Luckily I had gotten already quite a bit of information on canvas to be able to continue it at home. If necessary I will return once more to the location with this one but I'll try to fix it at home first. I will comment later on everyone's work because atm there's World Championships soccer on tv.

"The House by the Lake", 41x46 cm, oil on Belgium Linen
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2018, 02:46 PM

Geoff, you know what? It would be neat if we never get rusty at it! Anyways, gorgeous scene! I think the lighting and the contrast of the green truck against the background is what makes it captivating. Nicely done! Just curious do you mix it with a medium or paint straight with oil paint?

Ronsu, wow there are a lot to take in for a painting especially after four months break. Well, you could say that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger! I believe the green color found in the nature is one of the hardest colors to tame. It's no joke. It's good that you acknowledge greens should be more muted. It's a start. Great job!

Moscatel, that looks awesome already! Please do post when you finish it! About the weather... I had the same issue! No rain but cloudy! So frustrating eh?

Here's mine. It's still not done because the weather in France decided to troll on me. Partial clouds then eventually full coverage when I wanted to capture the sunshine. So frustrating! It took me about 4 hours. I was kinda multi tasking while I waited for the darn sun to stop hiding! I will post the finished version later.

Also wanted to show you my new setup for plein air... Got some hardware tools to use. These snake hooks are so useful! I love them. I wish I had that last year! I also have a backpack with several pockets, all dedicated for oil painting. So handy. Mind you, I never have been this organized before so don't mind me for having this proud moment!

Greetings
Dm7
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2018, 02:12 AM
Enthusiast

Wow, lots of exciting work to respond to! It's 2 a.m. here, so I'll have to be brief so I can get to bed.

Ronsu: Great to see you back! I really like the blue-green color scheme in your painting. It's a nocturne, you say? What time of evening did you paint it? How did you deal with lighting your canvas? That drove me nuts in my one effort to paint at night.

Moscatel: You certainly know how to pick a great site to paint. You also have a good eye for composition. That looks like a really good one. Also, I assume you're happy with today's World Cup result (France's win)! Me, I'm rooting for England tomorrow.

DMA: Delighted to see you posting a painting again, and I really like it, especially the warm sunlight. Those are very convincing rocks, too. And a nice overall composition that draws the viewer in. I also like your setup, except that I need a chair that reclines; otherwise my back wails. I'd never thought of (or even heard of) snake hooks; those look handy. Was it a pain to haul all your painting gear into the woods?

I had a less successful day today. It started well enough; I parked across from a new Greek restaurant and started painting it. Here's the lay-in. I like it better than the later stages of the picture. "Study of a Greek restaurant," oil on panel, 12" x 16":

But then a big car parked right in front of the restaurant and didn't move from there for the rest of the afternoon. That meant I had to try to invent tables/chairs/figures, and I'm just not that good at that. At least it did add a bit of mystery to the composition, lol. I'm afraid the rest of the picture needs more mystery. I didn't finish; just packed up and went swimming.

Still, the owner of the restaurant liked it and gave me a free lunch, lol. And might be interested in buying a finished version of this, perhaps on a longer canvas. So I'll return to this spot. Here's where I left off. "Unfinished study of a Greek restaurant," 12" x 16."

#27   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2018, 01:24 AM
Enthusiast

I had a better session today, but again I was thwarted by a car! This time it was a car that I was trying to include in the painting; it drove away after an hour. It's not that big a deal; I think I'll just park my car on the street and paint it instead. I plan to return here tomorrow and possibly again Friday. "Kenwood Avenue," oil on linen, 18" x 24."

#28   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2018, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

i did return to my painting, facing the reason it's best alla prima - everything was the opposite compared to the first session; moving from deep, cloudy chroma to sharp contrast from clear skies. as to lighting the canvas no need for that, here's midnight:

Name:  20180712_010209-1.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  127.0 KB

the photo's a little too dark.

Grotius, the same happened to you with the restaurant. your painting changed when the truck arrived to change it. you rolled with the punches and got a lunch! (must confess the scraped in drawing of parasols in your first version of the restaurant, the shadow area, is gorgeous.)

for me, there's the same theme going on: painting what is there but filtering it with palette, mood and inspiration. the daring part, the "painting takes courage" part.
following your thread it's easy to notice a longer developement and new achievements (tho i'm really looking forward to your live model classes!), how the ease of brush movement turns to freedom and pulls color into play to do the same. beautiful contrast in the new one, there's a story with suspense happening.

not posting new version, tried twice, too exhausted to battle the workarounds.

Dm7, the rocks look like characters convening, great start. congrats on new gear, i piled a large trash can on top of a can of house paint, put the palette on that. brushes in a teetering flower vase. oi...

Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist. - Picasso
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2018, 02:01 PM

Geoff, thank you. It was challenging to capture the look of the river, but i believe i finally nailed it. Anyways, about your two pieces, you really don't have any good luck with the vehicles lately eh? Well despite the situation i think you did well. Nice colors and how nice of the owner to give you a free lunch i should give that a try sometimes

Ronsu, aw maybe you will have better luck in posting your picture later after a break. Your setup sounds interesting as long as it works for you all is good!

I finished mine up. Added more details and used knife for some textures which i think helped somewhat. Also used knife to blend for a change. Interesting stuff. I hope i did the river well. I mean from the last year in France i could not nail the look of water and was determined to nail it this year

"La Loue" - 24x18cm canvas panel

Greetings
Dm7

PS sorry about the glare. Bad photo but I'm on the vacation I'm not going to be bothered too much about it for now.

Last edited by DMArtist7 : 07-12-2018 at 02:06 PM.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2018, 11:07 PM
Enthusiast

Ronsu, thanks for the explanation about midnight. Lucky you to have such opportunities for nocturnes!

DMA, I like the light on the river a lot better in your most recent version. You got it just right, I think. Also, I like how you used the foreground trees to frame the composition and help create a foreground, middleground, and background. I'm always worrying about creating depth in landscape paintings, and you've achieved that here. Sign that one and declare victory!

I had another day with my street scene, and this time I parked my car on the street so I'd have a reliable model. It didn't move, thankfully! (No one stole it, in other words!) I spent time detailing the trees and improving the drawing. As always, I have trouble with the tree-sky interface, especially with foreground and middleground trees. (Background trees aren't so hard.) I did manage to add a figure in keeping with my optional theme, lol. I'm not sure this one is done, but I'm going to put it aside and think on it for a week or so. "Kenwood Avenue," oil on linen, 18" x 24."