Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Ratchet

I want to darken yellow and/or gray it out.

Every color I mix with yellow turns green or orange. Bone black and yellow= olive.

I have yellow ochre. I was wondering if I could mix either raw umber or one of the earths in yellow ochre to darken it.

I could mix every combination I can think of but an answer here would save time and supplies. I may have to find and buy a darker or grayer yellow.
        Any help appreciated!

Gigalot

Totally different things for me – to darken yellow and to gray it down. To darken yellow you can use Transparent yellow iron oxide. To gray it down you can use whatever you like, – gray, black + white, complimentary violet…whatever paint can mix proper mud with yellow color.

LisaInOregon

Are you looking for basically golden brown? When yellow gets dark, you can lean reddish or greenish and balanced between those is brown… if you add a dash of red to the olive it will knock down the green.

yellow ochre leans red. The mix of yellow ochre and raw umbar make a dull, dark-gold color that continues to brown, yellow ochre and burnt umbar may a warmer (reddish) dark-gold that continues to brown. Yellow ochure and carbon black make a low-chroma color in this range… it’s almost gray. Not hugely pretty color – low chroma dark yellows are the least attractive range even for those of us who like low chroma neutrals.

C&C welcome, the more incisive the better...

Ratchet

Thanks Lisa
                    I mixed yellow ochre and raw umber which, as you say, is a dull dark gold. I lightened it with titanium until it turned mustard yellow but low chroma.

I want a dark mustard yellow, maybe dijon type color.

Now I wonder about PY74 and raw umber as that may increase chroma.

Pinguino

“Dark Yellow” is a tough request. Last year, I looked at the Munsell Book of Color (the real book) and noticed that on the pages pertaining to yellow, the darker and/or lower saturation values were not what I imagined they would be. Instead, they were the colors I would expect to find at my friendly local gourmet olive bar: low-saturation greens and browns. Perhaps there is no such thing as “dark yellow.”

It is like “bright red.” Do I mean a high-chroma red, which will look lighter than it really is, as a psychological effect? Or do I mean pink, which is perceived as something in itself, not as a bright red?

hp2

Try 3 drops of yellow, one red, one green and one white, as a start. Then tweak just a little, as needed. The yellow is key so will need to try a few. Let me know how it works.

...not what is, but what ought to be (assuming you first know what is).

SamL

“Dark Yellow” does not exist, just like “Dark White” does not exist.

In languages around the world, when people say “yellow”, they refer to a light color, similar to the sunflower.

If you take that color, keep the hue unchanged, and darken it, you got another color. People around the world will call that color “yellow”.

Web Colors cover most color names used in daily life. When Yellow is darkened by 50%, RGB=(50%, 50%, 0%), its Web Color name is “Olive”.

But, “Olive” is defined as “a dark yellowish-green color, like that of unripe or green olives“.

In other words, as you darkened Yellow, after you go below a threshold, in people’s perception (through eyes and brain), it is no longer yellow, but green.

Gigalot

Highly saturated dark yellow/dark brown color is a good example of poor color gamut of “most useful” color palette as is “traditional standard” RYB palette, based on Cadmium red, Cadmium Yellow and Ultramarine blue colors.

Most of artistic paint manufacturers have Transparent Yellow iron oxide; Transparent Brown iron oxide and Transparent Red iron oxide in their color lines. These paints are not expensive, but you can mix saturated dark colors with them. Historic pigments “Asphalt”; “Bitumen” and “Burnt lake” and even “Indian yellow” were used for the same purpose. Cadmium yellow + Ultramarine + Cadmium red cant help to mix Bitumen color! :cat:

LisaInOregon

I’ve attached a bit of my color chart, in case that helps – look at the upper right, these show different proportions of each in the mix.

C&C welcome, the more incisive the better...

Patrick1

My go-to color for darkening most yellows is Dioxazine Purple (attached pic). It darkens middle to lemon yellows without changing the apparent hue too much (for example the way black makes yellows look green). Also, it doesn’t grey the mix down as much as most other options.

Other options are Yellow Ochre, Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide, Nickel Azo Yellow, or Raw Sienna. Then for darkening further than that you could use Raw or Burnt Umber.

Ratchet

SamL, Thanks for that information. If I am understanding correctly, the basics of darkening yellow is a matter of percentage and perception. That makes sense.

The best I have so far is large amount of Yellow Ochre and smaller amount Raw Umber, lightened by Titanium. It is a golden brown but as SamL said it is perception. It depends on what I put around it whether it looks mustard or golden brown.

HP2, I will try that. It might work well.

LisaInOregon Hansa and burnt sienna, that looks good and it would give a warm tone.

Patrick1 The color I want is the second on the left, second down. I will give that try also.

Michael Lion

Raw Umber is a dark yellow.

davidbriggs

Abstract artist Andrew Werth has a very convenient online tool that lets you see the darkened and greyed out versions of any hue you want, including many hue variants of yellow. Just click on the hue you want on the hue circle:
                                                        http://www.andrewwerth.com/color/

Colour Online (hundreds of links on colour): https://sites.google.com/site/djcbriggs/colour-online
                                                        The Dimensions of Colour: www.huevaluechroma.com
                                                        Colour Society of Australia: www.coloursociety.org.au

hp2

Tried 6-8 drops of cooler yellow i.e. py74, very small amount alizarin crimson, very small amount of permanent green and white as needed (all are cool colors, stayed away from warm ones). Hope this helps point you in the right direction.

...not what is, but what ought to be (assuming you first know what is).

Gigalot

Tried 6-8 drops of cooler yellow i.e. py74, very small amount alizarin crimson

You can mix Orange color, which is highly Warm! :eek:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 78 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Dark Yellow?’ is closed to new replies.