Home Forums Explore Media Glass Art Let’s Talk Glass Technical Forum temperature controller tutorial

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 174 total)
  • Author
    Mark Wilson

i just went surplus shopping for kimberly (kbinkster) and purchased her a FUJI PYZ temperature controller and an Omron MK3 relay to make a temperature controller. i plan to wire it up to check it out before i mail it to her, and i plan to take photos to guide people through the process of making your own controller. so far the parts cost is a total of $25!!!!!!! with this hardware, i can add a digital temperature controller to any 110V kiln. i could controll a 220V kiln if i purchased a different relay. here is a picture of the hardware.

Teri.p

[i]Originally posted by Mark Wilson [/i]
            [B] and i plan to take photos to guide people through the process of making your own controller. [/B]

Mark —

That will be wonderful!!! Thanks in advance. I’m saving up for a kiln, and if I can shave some $$ off the cost it’ll be that much sooner I can get one.

Teri

Mike E etc

wow,
                go Mark.

I am using a watlow, sp, controller just as a temp gauge!!!@$$#%^$!!!!!!!!!

Mike E

Mark Wilson

[i]Originally posted by Mike E etc [/i]
                    [B]I am using a watlow, sp, controller just as a temp gauge!!!@$$#%^$!!!!!!!!! Mike E [/B]

WHY?

Just Nancy

Mark,
                        I anxiously await your attempt.

A friend tried to price parts to try this for me and wasn’t successful.

I love your enthusiasm.

Nancy

BabsW
                            dragonflylane

Hi Mark!

That would be awesome! My stepdad is an aero engineer (the man can make me feel stupid talking about waffles!) and I was thinking about proposing the idea of him building me a digital controller. Hell…if he can wire the instrument panel in leir jets this would be child’s play, right?

Could you build your own kiln as well? Or is that just asking for a spot on the Darwin Award list?

Christie :wave:
                                DragonflyLane (a very neglected site)

There is a fine line between coincidence and fate. - Ardeth Bay

rlisfolks

Mark, you couldn’t have posted this at a better time!! I’ll be watching anxiously for your posts!!!

Dawn

Rexxy

Will you be putting this information on your new CD that you are making?

Rex

midniteburner

And I thought that I was going to have to wait for the video/DVD:rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

Mark, you’re a sweety!!!!

Sara

kbinkster

I’m the luckiest girl on WC!:D
                                                Thanks again, Mark, I am so grateful!!!
                                                ~Kimberly

Kimberly :wave:

Want to know more about me? Check out my user profile.

Mark Wilson

the basic temperature controller consists of 3 major items, a thermocouple to sense the temperature, a temperature controller module to use the thermocouple reading to control the kiln, and a power relay to actually turn the power on and off. here is a “basic” temperature controller circuit.

Mark Wilson

temperature controller modules come in different sizes and shapes and have a variety of different control outputs including relay, ssr, scr or triac, 4-20 ma, or 0 to 5 volt. here is a picture of a few of these modules i purchased at a surplus store. the little one out front with the knob is an infinite controller which don’t control temperature but adjust it.

Mark Wilson

most of the power relays i use are either solid state relays (ssr) or standard electro-mechanical relays. solid state relays are made up of electronic components called triacs. they can be switched on and off real fast, but they also are very temperature sensitive. em relays cannot be switched very fast, but they fail safe unlike a ssr.

Mark Wilson

most em relays are essentially switches which get flipped when a actuation coil is energized. usually, em relays have 1, 2, or even 3 seperate contacts inside that get switched. i connect all 3 sets of contacts in parallel so that you can get more power control. if a single contact can handle 10 amps, 3 in parallel can control 30 amps. with no power applied to the actuation coil, the contacts are connected to the NC or normally closed contact. when actuated, the contacts are connected to the NO or normally open contacts.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 174 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘temperature controller tutorial’ is closed to new replies.