Home Forums Explore Subjects Aviation Art Douglas C-47

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    tmwilliams

Normandy, June ’44, even before the airborne, they put in pathfinders.

Here’s my view of it – painted for the monthly acrylic forum challenge.

Thomas

vegaskip

Nice one Thomas, I think the clouds look a bit too solid though.
            Jim.

tmwilliams

Nice one Thomas, I think the clouds look a bit too solid though.
                Jim.

I agree – never like the clouds. Not sure how I’ll fix em.

NeilF92

Study cloud photos for a while . Then paint what you see in them , not what you think is up there . It’s all about observation and self critique

shadwell

I agree – never like the clouds. Not sure how I’ll fix em.

I use atelier interactive acrylics nowadays if you use normal acrylics then just get a tube of titanium white , a tube of paynes gey and a tube of raw umber ( to add a dot to the white to tone it down ) you can get light fluffy and transparent clouds by lightly scrubbing in similar to dry brushing in modelling where you take most of the paint out of the brush before starting to scrub in I find a short hogs hair brush works best then it’s a case of building them up in layers.. takes practice but worth it

[FONT=Fixedsys]if at first you don't succede !!!![/COLOR]
                        [FONT=Fixedsys]give skydiving a miss !![/COLOR]

[FONT=Fixedsys]
                        tmwilliams

I use the Golden opens myself. I am not unhappy with the clouds overall – but do think they’re a bit thick. I think what I need to do is add hints of the terrain below…hints of green and blue…to make them more transparent.

NeilF92

The shaded areas on the clouds look good , I’d kill the stark white tops a little ( but that may be just the photo ). The ragged hairy bits to the left of the clouds I’d dry brush to slightly rounder shapes but keep the tones as they are . Your clouds are not far off just need a little tidying up I’d say.

NeilF92

I meant to say more ragged patches than the hairlike streaks.

Trumper

I would be tempted to do away with any sharp edges in the clouds ,they are almost more solid than the aircraft .

tmwilliams

I would be tempted to do away with any sharp edges in the clouds ,they are almost more solid than the aircraft .

Feather them out quite a bit more than I did…I think that may be the ticket.

NeilF92

I took the liberty of tinkering with your clouds just to show what I meant – hope you won’t mind . Although I’ve done this in Photoshop , in Acrclics it’s just a case of some light dry brush – I used a light grey tone from your clouds and sprayed it around the edges and softening things overall . Not saying this is right or good , just a look at how I would tackle them.

tmwilliams

Don’t mind at all! Yes – I think this is better and I will work with it on the actual painting. Much appreciated.

Thomas

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.