WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials > Watermedia
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#106   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2019, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Adelaide area South Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: February Watermedia 2019

JoyK - I don't know that much about art, I have never had serious tuition and I get by reading and trying, I do as much practice as I can because I would like to get better . But in truth, I am awfully slow and I often have to draw an image a few times to get the 'feel' of it. That I am retired and have lots of free time helps. (2yrs retired now)

With your Byron scene, the reason I was so in awe of your lovely painting, is that I might see it with my lens, but that doesn't mean I can actually paint it. For me, that a stranger from the other side of the world gave it a go, I give 10/10 for that alone.!
Having said that, In my opinion, that you changed the palette and made it 'your own' and its well done, you'd have to be happy with that. I truly think it is excellent.

I thank those that are more experienced than myself like KreativeK , Vivien, and Artysinger , Bun201 & others who clearly have a great grasp on art to back up with comments.

This is my first time as volunteer, and i cannot criticise as I truly am in awe at how everyone has interpreted images. I spent 2 days searching for images, some easy, some hard for variety, I can tell you, I did this image search with heart in my mouth tentatively worried.

I think it is exciting to see the images come to life, I thank everyone for their participation.

cheers

Merriweather
  #107   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2019, 09:35 PM
Enthusiast
Johnstown, Pennsylvania, USA

Hails from United States

Merriweather, your work seems very refined to me. I erase like crazy when drawing, as I need to practice more. Kay, Sandie, Vivien and Kristel are very inspiring role models! Even if it does not come out well, I am attempting to have a creative interpretation of a subject, rather than just slavishly copying the ref photo.

We were self-employed and retirement was the end of 2014 for me, so I have a lot of catching up to do in all aspects of my life.

Thanks so much for hosting! I, too, would like to host a challenge at some point, but also would stress out about the image choice. The WC bunch is so great that does seem rather overkill on my part, though.

BTW, we love Aussie shows, like "Dr. Blake Mysteries" and "Jack Irish". Visiting Australia/NZ is a goal of my travels.
  #108   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2019, 10:38 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Mods appreciate so much anyone who volunteers to host. We are responsible for hosting a month if no one does, and sometimes people say they will then they are a no show and we have to step in. If it is helpful, here is what I try to supply in image selection so as to appeal to a wide range of tastes and preferences, whether on Watermedia or AMAE forum for the weekend drawing event.

2 animals (dog, cat, bird, etc.)
1-2 figures or close up person
1-2 landscape, building
1-2 flowers or bouquet
1-2 still life
Nature, marine, cityscape, or combinations of the above

Our own RIL has thousands of images as does free photo sites such as Pexels, morguefile, and many more if you have none of your own. I hope this info is helpful.
  #109   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2019, 01:28 AM
Veteran Member
Adelaide area South Australia

Hails from Australia

[quote=JoyK]Merriweather, your work seems very refined to me. I erase like crazy when drawing, as I need to practice more. Kay, Sandie, Vivien and Kristel are very inspiring role models! Even if it does not come out well, I am attempting to have a creative interpretation of a subject, rather than just slavishly copying the ref photo.

Quote:

Joy, that is so right... you never have to be a slave of any reference photo.. Its a guide only and for the artist to do / create whatever they wish from any aspect

I, too, would like to host a challenge at some point, but also would stress out about the image choice. The WC bunch is so great that does seem rather overkill on my part, though.

Quote:
KreativeK has put in a guide line of how she chooses. That should help, however, when I see cats and dogs, I dont have, but as for wild life, it abounds around my area. Especially birds.

BTW, we love Aussie shows, like "Dr. Blake Mysteries" and "Jack Irish". Visiting Australia/NZ is a goal of my travels.

Quote:
I hope you visit both Aus and New Zealand. I strongly suspect that NZ is far prettier as in scenery. Although, Aus is so huge, and I live in the driest state.