WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum > WIPs (Works in Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2018, 02:37 PM
Ennis, Ireland

Hails from South Africa
Eagle in Rain

Eagle in Rain. Oil on board 29.5 x 23.5 inches. https://ibb.co/album/egJiGF , for some reason cant upload image to forum. Started the rough work this morning. Background is slightly stippled gesso with blue/grey on the white grounds. This was then rubbed with light emery paper to pruduce hundreds of non uniform sized small white spots. Picture shows 1st colored glaze on background which will be followed by a number of colored glazes and alternate layers of retouch varnish in between. (I make my own using Danmar Resin and Turpentine) Am trying to create the effect of the soft, hazy, Irish rain. The gesso of the eagle was rubbed smooth to allow the extra-fine detail required for feathers. For me these birds are a real test of patience and not the type of painting one steps away from for a small break. I find that once started I continue till finished otherwise they would never get done. The last step before varnishing is a small drop of water hanging off the beaks tip containing a reflection of the surroundings.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2018, 03:35 PM
Lord of the Arts

Re: Eagle in Rain

I have uploaded it for you
Looks very good to me .

Name:  20181225-142514.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  176.4 KB
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2019, 03:00 PM
Ennis, Ireland

Hails from South Africa

Thanks for that Trumper. Been away from painting but back at it now. Here it is at about 40% done, lots of work still to do.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2019, 07:43 AM
Lord of the Arts

Well done , looks great
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2019, 04:19 PM
Ennis, Ireland

Hails from South Africa

Cheers Trumper. Painted like a man posessed today, will post result tomorrow. I have some questions and look forward to the imput.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:00 AM
Ennis, Ireland

Hails from South Africa

Am thinking to scrap the rain idea. Maybe it will foreshorten the background and I'd lose the depth. It also might make it too busy. Another consideration is branches. These too might make things too busy as the eye bounces around from shape to shape. Currently this is a very still and peaceful painting despite the whole "fierce predator" thing going on. Thoughts please.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2019, 08:05 AM
Lord of the Arts

Birds of prey are static ,they look and study and even when flying it's normally a graceful swoop.
Looks lovely as it is.Maybe do another one ,leave this for now but do one where it is zoomed out a bit then add some more background.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2019, 03:23 PM
Ennis, Ireland

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumper
Maybe do another one ,leave this for now but do one where it is zoomed out......

I can't it's for a client. Over the new year I mangled two of my fingers so lost much time with hospital, surgery etc. Have 2 weeks to finish it and its still in its rough stage. So you reckon background good to go? Need to have that done so I can add the "feathered edges" along with the detailed work. Thanks for your imput and time thus far. Take care.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2019, 12:07 PM
Lord of the Arts

The subject is the Eagle .Is the client seeing it before they get it? You could show them it and ask them what their thoughts are and where they would like it to progress to.
You may be surprised and they are happy with it as it is.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2019, 01:40 PM
Ennis, Ireland

Hails from South Africa

Was not at all happy with bacground so changed it to this. To me this works better. Foliage not done yet.What say you?
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2019, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Alabama

Hails from United States

Looks good to me.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2019, 11:32 AM
Immortalized

This looks really good and the foliage showing the bird in its natural surroundings finishes it well

laf-art.com | Prints | FB