Home Forums Explore Subjects Southwest and Western Art Moving closer to done

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Use Her Name

It’s been a long time since I have finished anything– meaning getting anything actually cast in bronze. I’m starting to do final “waxes” on my molds (I have several molds ready to go). I want to show my progression on my small horse. Most of all, I figured out a way to do a tiny saddle using a material called “Apoxie Sculpt” which can be rolled thin to make “blankets” and then dry overnight so that it is hard and can be removed. I also have shown my large horse and want to show you the comparison in size between the large horse and the small horse.

This is closer to the small horse, and behind it is the bison that is nearly done. I am working on finals at school so not much work will be done for 2 weeks. However today I will pour that first wax of the Elk, and will upload the photo.
        So here, you can see the little saddle shaping up.

This here is the little horse, the bison, and the coelophysis

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

Katy, what a treat to see several of your sculptures in progress! I am in awe of the level of detail in the forms. You really are a master of your art. Thank you for sharing your wonderful work.

Jenna

My website: https://www.thecozyred.com/

Use Her Name

So I did the “Clean out” pour on Elk 1 (only named Elk 1 because it was the first one I did. I also call it “fallen elk”). Okay, so the clean out pour is done with garbage wax and it is done to find all problems with the molds and to pull out any little bits of garbage in the mold from the original clay sculpture that was originally in the mold.

So, here is the “wax pouring area” with the mold.

Here is the first look that I have at the result:

This darned uploader says some of my images are too large and some are acceptable. Anyway, you can see all the garbage in the wax, but also, the detail is great and the wax came out nearly perfect, so I won’t have to spend days “re-sculpting.” The antlers are separate, but I will attach them in the wax. Also, I will add some wax branches and such beneath it to act as a “stand for the other Elk who is standing over this one in a kind of victor/vanquished pose. So I will work on the mold a little more, to get it perfect before pouring the wax that will go to the foundry.

And thanks La, but I am blushing because I think I am maybe moderately good.

Katie Black

These are wonderful Katy, :clap: you really are very good at what you do.

Katie Black Fine Art

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde

Use Her Name

Thanks Katie.

Ron

I have no formal art training, so this just fascinates me. Thanks so much for taking the time to share all this. I am more and more getting the urge to try sculpture. Your pieces are fantastic!

oldglory

Katy:

Like Ron, I have no formal art education … I am just a hands on type of guy … but I can honestly say this is incredible work – I am in awe of your skill at depicting the subject with such realism … your knowledge is quite exceptional –

I have always put sculptors right along side those who have mastered the violin … great talent and a wonderful gift –

Hud

Wow! I am so beyond impressed!

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Use Her Name

rugman, and oldglory, I have never taken one class in sculpture, let alone molding or casting. I was around activities that allowed me to take part in, and witness these things, and I was hired as a sculptor for about 7 years where I learned massive art, but when it came down to learning how to make small animals (and I suppose I will be making small people too), I learned this all by myself (from about 2011 to now), and so I consider myself self-taught.

I have taken some art classes, mainly drawing, printmaking, art history, design, and photography. I wanted to major in art when I got my bachelors, but most of my time was spent on “core curriculum” and I got enough hours to minor in studio art or art history. I took the latter because it sounded more brainy. Then suddenly (and I would say “stupidly) I switched majors to “Technical Writing.”

If you can draw, you can sculpt. It is just 3-d drawing (with other tools and in another material). Each sculpture I do and each new material takes a learning curve.

So what I am saying is you can be self-taught and be a sculptor too. Doing it is only a matter of study and action.

Thanks also Kreative K
                                By the way, the reason I hang out in Western art, and sometimes Animal art, and not “Sculpture” is because I think that genres, not methods should be put together. I really should be more present in animal art. I will start to do some African animals this year because I like them.

ntl

Ditto all of the above. And I’m especially pleased to learn you are back at work, hopefully recovered. Your work is delightful. Congratulations!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.