Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Partner: Virtual Art Academy Paintings from Barry’s Travels

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    jacqseddon

Barry often travels around to world to find subject matter for his plein air paintings. His favourite places to paint are Tuscany, Italy, and China. This is a sunset painting he did in Hunan, China earlier this year:

jacqseddon

Here is of Barry’s sketches that he did while he was in Australia in May. It was a beautiful evening and the setting sun made a lovely silhouette pattern of the trees. It is always important to capture the “itness” of the trees and rocks in the landscape you are painting, or it will not look authentic.

See his online art course at VirtualArtAcademy.com[/URL] for more information on how to capture “itness”.

westy1980

Barry is truely and amazing painter.

b123

Moody Evening, Garrapata, Big Sur – 16in x 20in – Oil on Canvas

This is a plein air painting I did on my recent trip to California and the Big Sur Coastline. This was one of my favorite places to paint during my time living in California. I was originally hoping for an evening of shimmering light on the water, but the actual evening developed in a very different direction. There was a faint sliver of light on the horizon where the sun was setting beneath a band of clouds. In the end I liked this effect since it let me concentrate on the emerald green hues in the water and their contrast with some of the rich oranges in the foreground vegetation.

If you look closely at the painting, you will see that I am using a combination of watercolor techniques such as thin washes, as well as impasto oil painting techniques. This is something I have been experimenting with in some of my recent work. It may have some relation to my exposure these days to the work of several traditional Chinese painting masters during my work in China.

Barry John Raybould

My Paintings, My Blog

b123

This is the plein air painting setup I was using on my recent painting trip to Mauritius. I am using a Mastersen seal palette box mounted onto a tripod using an Easel Butler. I put the palette in a big freezer overnight to slow down the drying of the paint. This system gave me much more palette mixing area to work with, which I find helps with finding a good color harmony.

Barry John Raybould

My Paintings, My Blog

Myse

I like your strokes. Good scene!

Comments and critics welcome. I want to progress!
                            marysecurinier-rochette.com
                            https://maryse.rochette.cc

b123

I painted this in the gardens outside the Villa Borghese in Rome. It is a beautiful museum to go to if you get the chance, with some wonderful sculptures by Bernini. In this painting I used the key discovery of color pairs.

Barry John Raybould

My Paintings, My Blog

b123

Finished 24″ x 24″ oil. I did the first version (60cm x 80cm) plein air in Zhaosu, Xinjiang, China last fall (sheltering in the shade of a tree in front of their house, hence the wall shadows!). But I re-thought the composition and did this one in the studio, this time adding the two children to give the painting a story.

Barry John Raybould

My Paintings, My Blog

b123

I spent many evenings on the high grass plains of Xinjiang in China watching the beautiful sunsets. Here is a painting of a sunset inspired by one of those wonderful evenings.

The detail shows some of the colors I used for the sunset, and the paint texture.

(for a detailed discussion of paint texture and blending, see the article I wrote for the Virtual Art Academy in the oil painting techniques section – http://virtualartacademy.com/oil-painting-techniques-avoid-over-blending.html).

Barry John Raybould

My Paintings, My Blog

b123

On the way down after crossing a 13,000 foot mountain pass over Laji mountain on the way to Gande from Xining, the capital of Qinghai Province in China, we came across a beautiful valleyview and just had to stop to do a small oil painting sketch.

Barry John Raybould

My Paintings, My Blog

b123

Here’s a painting I did during a workshop I held this spring in the Peak District. I remember it being between 11:00 and 2:00 in full sun with no umbrella. At 29 in the shade, I think it was 39 in the sun! Who moved England to the Mediterranean?

I share some videos and more tips on my Facebook page – http://www.facebook.com/virtualartacademycom

Barry John Raybould

My Paintings, My Blog

b123

On account of its high altitude, the light in Xinjiang in China is even more intense than that of California or Tuscany where I have a studio. It was around midday and very hot when I was painting in this small Kasakh village, so I hid behind a large wall to get out of the heat. The village is as yet undeveloped and still has many original mud and straw buildings which give it a warm and welcoming feeling.

If you are interested in the color harmony I used, see this painting technique explanation below:

https://www.virtualartacademy.com/oil-painting-techniques-secondary-color-harmony

Barry John Raybould

My Paintings, My Blog

b123

This summer I did a painting expedition to Qinghai, a largely Tibetan province in north western China. There was a Buddhist festival taking place with a temporary tent town of tens of thousands of Tibetans. There were some great compositions with the brightly colored clothing and tents.

Barry John Raybould

My Paintings, My Blog

b123

On my painting expedition to Qinghai in north western China the time I liked best to paint was late in the afternoon or early in the morning. Here we got up early just as people were starting to move around the tent city at the Buddhist festival that was taking place.

____________________

Barry John Raybould

My Paintings, My Blog

b123

In Golog there is a large Buddhist temple complex. It is quite a challenge to find a composition because of the complexity of the architecture. Qinghai province, China.

Painting is: Cat. No. 1193 Qinghai Maqin Larasi Temple

____________________

Barry John Raybould

My Paintings, My Blog

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.