Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Vladimir VOLEGOV DVD reviews ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    mavrica

Hello everyone,

I was thinking to buy a DVD tutorial for my wife who love to paint. I found Vladimir Volegov DVD preview on YouTube and after watching, the DVD seems nice, even more so as I know she like his painting style very much. But being only 90 minutes long, this looks very short time to be able to reveal his method in detail. Can someone point me to some good in depth and most importantly unbiased review, since I can’t find any myself???
        I actualy have one more option in my hand – a Cesar Santos Portrait painting DVD, since detailed and fair reviews are easy to find and is apr. 20 hours long, so he must show a lot, but is not Alla Prima, which is what I am interested.

It would be very nice to read some very detailed and fair review about this Vladimir Volegov DVD, and mybe book as well.

Thanks for help! :)

kinasi

a Cesar Santos Portrait painting DVD…apr. 20 hours long, so he must show a lot, but is not Alla Prima, which is what I am interested.

My answers when people ask about these “painting DVD” is always the same.

Ask yourself what would help you the most:
            A) spending a lot of money on DVD to watch 20 hours of someone else paint
            B) spending the money on your own material and paint 20 hours yourself

I assume you didn’t learn how to walk, swim or ride a bike by watching DVD of someone else doing it.

Don Ketchek

In my experience, the length of the video will have little relation to how useful it is. Some artists paint with little or no useful explanation – regardless of the length of the DVD. Other can give you a lot of useful info in less than an hour.

I don’t know either of the DVDs mentioned, so I can’t give an opinion on them. Liking the artist and painting in a similar style will be more important than length of lesson, in my opinion.

Both books and DVDs can be very helpful if the teacher is providing good information and pretty useless if they are just recording a person painting without the teacher explaining a lot of “whys”.

If painting were merely a physical activity like walking, swimming or riding a bike, then helpful instruction from a DVD would not be necessary. Pretty much anyone can learn on their own how to hold a brush, put paint on a palette, and then dab that paint onto a canvas or board. But painting is mostly about decision making and learning to observe, thus a good instructor can most definitely be helpful.

Just my opinion, of course!

Don

Raffless

Go for the Cesar Santos one. His explanations go into the smallest detail and he’s an avid follower of Thomas Bardwell and William Bougereau in his painting which is about the best system there is for portraiture. Plus he has a great beard!!:)

Humbaba

I see two options: DVD only for 69 Euros, or DVD + Book for 107 Euros according to this shop:

http://shop.volegov.com/products

Preview video with the topics covered:

http://mirovozzrenie.info/online-bigcinema-720/171866430–54722602/

Google translation of the the list of topics:

DVD Masterclass “Figurative painting with Vladimir Volegov”, photography painting. Video in Russian Subtitles: English, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Italian, Chinese. Duration: 1 hour and 30 minutes, PAL system. Content: 1. From the author 2. outdoor photos 3. The process of drawing the sketch in Photoshop 4. The palette and the brush 5. 5. 7. Underpainting and work on the upper part of the body 8. The performance of the dress of 9. The elaboration of the distant 10 Work on the stone 11. Work on the bottom part of the bottom. Water 12. Selection of paintings 1 and 2 ISBN 843-65-301-2952-2

mavrica

Thanks to everyone helping!

Originally Posted by [B]kinasi
                            [/B]I assume you didn’t learn how to walk, swim or ride a bike by watching DVD of someone else doing it.

Thanks Kinasi. I do agree with you, that you can’t become a great artist by watching DVDs only, but I feel it is important to be able to understand the formula and thinking process behind artist you want to emulate. Most DVDs are short in this, since artist won’t and sometimes can’t reveal the most important elements in easy understandable way . There are good artists and good teachers out there, but rarely they are both. When I was young I went to ac. guitar classes and had 2 instructors – the 1st one was a good player, but his teaching was not – hard to explain. I didn’t make any real progress and I quit the world of acoustic guitar and switched instruments ect. When I found 2nd teacher few years later which was also a brilliant musician, I realized what a good guitar teacher is. He read me as an open book, shared with me informations truly generously without hiding anything, knew how to make exercises realy enjoyable so I start to immensely love the instrument again. But most importantly, he knew how to teach his style in easy understandable way. I gues I was lucky to live near a great artist who played the style I loved and was also ready to share it openly. I can’t say the same for my wife who happens to prefer the style of painting of someone living in the other part of world. So having a good DVD would be 2nd best, if it is made with goal of teaching others how to paint like that and not self promotion. Thats why I am looking for a detailed and unbiased review about Vladimir Volegov DVD, before I order it – i.e. words of someone who owned other DVDs in past and actualy bought this one, watched it, and can write down a fair comment what you can get of it and also what you won’t. Thanks again!

Originally Posted by [B]DAK723
                            [/B]Both books and DVDs can be very helpful if the teacher is providing good information and pretty useless if they are just recording a person painting without the teacher explaining a lot of “whys”.

Thanks, I agree completely!

Originally Posted by [B]Raffless
                            [/B]Go for the Cesar Santos one. His explanations go into the smallest detail and he’s an avid follower of Thomas Bardwell and William Bougereau in his painting which is about the best system there is for portraiture. Plus he has a great beard!!

Thanks! I will probably, but the interest for Volegov DVD was becouse my wife would prefer to paint figurative paintings in alla prima with that impressionism flavour. But probably it is unfair for me to expect 90 minutes video can deliver something a 20 hours do. Plus there is different personality behind, which in Santos example is very generous in sharing everything possible, thats why I wanted to find a fair review for Volegov as well, to see if the story is similar.

Originally Posted by [B]Humbaba
                            [/B]I see two options: DVD only for 69 Euros, or DVD + Book for 107 Euros according to this shop:

Thanks for the effort. I already had all that information in english + everything else what I could found on YouTube and elsewhere. What I was looking was a fair “pros and cons” review in detail from someone who can be positive and critical and can compare it with other DVDs available.

Thanks to everyone again !!!

Anonymous

I don’t know but I think Volegov’s paintings are awesome. I think he does not speak English, but the video is subtitled.

LeiraFlamand

Hi Mavrica. I have Volegov’s DVD and watched it a few times. You can ask me questions about it if you want.
                                    The DVD is not so much about his overall style, but about he making a single painting from the very beginning to the very end. He does discuss pretty much everything about it, though. It starts from the photo session, continues with a little photoshopping of the original image, and then he proceeds to paint. Unlike his YouTube channel, the video is at normal speed with little abbreviation, hence the total running time. He does answer several frequently-asked questions, but the DVD does not provide an answer to everything. It is a good watch, though, if you are a fan of his style.

wal_t

Saw this longer video on youtube, it is without comment but gives a good impression of painting a portrait from life by him. I think he usually uses more color bit nevertheless interesting to see the beginning and built-up. Walter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN2a-qu3rVU

KEVIN$

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I just happened to run across this thread and wanted to give my input on this DVD since I bought it.

First, I will say that I learn most of the things in my life by watching and studying how people do things before trying it: Racquet Ball, running a Lathe and Mill, welding, designing and building race cars, oil painting, etc. I study things in great detail then try to apply what I learned and compare the differences in the outcome then adjust my technique and try again. For me learning this way takes less time than struggling over and over again and never understanding what was originally needed to achieve the desired outcome.

In his DVD you go with him on his photo shoot, see what modifications he does to the images in Photoshop, then watch him paint. There is little explanation from him on why or what he is doing to achieve a certain affect but through multiple cameras you see his pallet and the colors he’s using and where he applies the colors to see the affect he gets. Any commentary is read in English subtitles so I just turned the sound off.

His DVD is great for someone like me that only needs to watch and study his technique. There are good camera close-ups of his brush work and paint application. Technical commentary would have been helpful in some areas but I saved more $$ by watching this DVD than I would have attempting to guess correctly and ruining canvasses.

If you’re someone that needs to hear what/why they are doing something then you may not get as much out of this DVD as you’d like but if you can watch it w/o sound then it could be beneficial.

ks

Kevin Slaby
                                            2002 Mustang - 902hp but BROKE at 953hp
                                            http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.