WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Connecticut, USA

Hails from United States
Portrait sketch....

Well, being new to portraits and figures, I am still confused as to which forum I should be posting in. As my goal is to acheive proficiency in portraiture with watercolor and acrylics, I will post my work here.

I am working on my drawing skills before I start the paint flying. I have a friend that has commissioned me to do a portrait of their 3 month baby girl, so I am getting ready with some "studies".

Here is my sketch for today, my daughter Brianna again. She wasn't posed the same when I took the photo, but you get the idea.

C & C Welcome.... Thanks for looking!

Sketch:

www.SteamFolk.com
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Connecticut, USA

Hails from United States
Re: Portrait sketch....

Noticing the her right cheek (viewers left) is a little too far out...

www.SteamFolk.com
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2006, 09:07 PM
A WC! Legend
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Hi Geoff,

You are doing well with your sketching, but you haven't done Brianna (btw, a gorgeous name ) any justice with her pose. You have her looking too round shouldered and beefy in that area. You really need to slim her down quite a bit, and take the roundness off the shoulders and make them squarer. She is a pretty girl, with a nice body shape, so look at your photo and draw what you see. I really like the way you have done the arms and hands -- very relaxed looking, which ties in well with the photo. You are doing a great job with your practicing, so keep 'em coming.

Val.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2006, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Singapore

You are so lucky to have a willing daughter. Her prettiness is an added bonus. Watch out for those small areas in her features that really defines her look. You have not capture the shape of her eyes, nose and mouth precisely and that will affect getting a really good likeness.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2006, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member
Connecticut, USA

Hails from United States

Thank you both! I see what you mean, now that you mention it! But that's why I'm posting- to get honest opinions on how I can improve- So I thank you greatly!

The broadness of the arms/shoulders really stick out to me now! I'll make some adjustments and repost it here.

Thanks again!

www.SteamFolk.com
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2006, 10:41 AM
Dana Design

Geoff, you've drawn her face straight on but the photo is far different...we're looking at her forehead with the face receding toward the bottom. This is a very difficult pose to portray as you can see how narrow her jaw becomes relative to her forehead.

I'd suggest a 3/4 pose straight on in natural light (to begin with). To continue with your present pose, as Valchina said, paint exactly what you see and not what you automatically perceive. Remember where your light source is coming from and use shading which will give depth to the face.

As for the baby commission, we're here to help if you wish.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2006, 08:36 AM
Enthusiast
Alabama

Hails from United States

I have seen the drawings you have posted in this forum and wanted to add my opinion. As Dana said, a 3/4 pose straight on in natural light would be so helpful. I haven't been painting for long, and I paint from photographs. I have noticed that a good picture (or pose) is so very important. Natural light falling across the model gives you the darks and lights that define a face. So often it is best to draw the area around the feature instead of the feature itself. I learned to do this by viewing my photos in Photoshop. Even if your intent is to draw without any aides, it would be a good learning tool.
Go for it! Sandra