Home Forums Explore Subjects Plein Air Daytripper — Prolific Painter out of business now?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    chamisa

I tried to order a panel holder and cross bars quite a while ago and there is no response from their company. The charge even showed up on my credit card, but no confirmation or shipping details. NADA
        I’ve sent repeated emails and Joshua Been’s contact phone has said for weeks it can’t accept messages.

Has anyone heard if they’ve gone out of business?
        I need a panel holder for my tripod and was hoping to get theirs, but apparently will have to order one from another company and cancel my credit card charge.
        Thanks

Really? Wow… is that from this site? People have been recommending them specifically in plein air groups. It looks like a pretty good setup for a good price.

https://www.prolificpainter.com/shop/easel/
        [/URL]

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
        Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

chamisa

^^^ Yes, I really like their products and am sad if they’ve gone out of business.
            Joshua Been, the owner, also has a gallery that I tried calling there also, but it too says messages are full for weeks now.
            I hope nothing serious happened to him as he is a good artist.
            I am traveling soon and need a panel holder for my tripod, (I have the Coulter palette) so I guess I’ll order the Sienna one which also gets good reviews and just hope my credit card charge will cancel for the Daytripper one. I’ll wait a couple more days.
            I was hoping someone here might know what’s happened to the company.

Joshua Been (excellent painter!!) posted on his Facebook page 6 mins ago.

chamisa

Joshua Been (excellent painter!!) posted on his Facebook page 6 mins ago.

Hey —I don’t belong to Facebook — can you ask him what’s going on? And if he can answer his emails and phone messages!! Maybe show him this link here.
                Thanks!

Sure. I’ll message him a link to this thread. please PM me your email and I’ll pass it on to him.

chamisa

Will do
                    Thanks so much!

Kmart

I had a plein air workshop, and recommended his easel to a student at the beginning of summer. They also were charged, but never received the easel, and also there was no communication.

It is great product, and i was hoping to get the fly on the wall during the Black Friday sale, which has been a healthy discount in years past. I’ll keep my eyes peeled to this forum, and see if he is still doing business.

He is still doing business, i contacted him thru facebook, where he is active.

chamisa

Did he answer you about this?
                            I’ve still gotten no contact from him or his company.
                            Maybe just his Daytripper easel business is shut down, but he still sells his art on Facebook.

There are other complaints about dealing with the company on another art forum.

Yes he responded directly to me about it and thanked me for passing on the information. So he knows the situation and has your info. I know he is still in business and is active online……. :confused:

He is also active on Instagram. @joshuabeen. Maybe send him a DM there.

chamisa

Yes he responded directly to me about it and thanked me for passing on the information. So he knows the situation and has your info. I know he is still in business and is active online……. :confused:

Thanks so much for your help!
                                But yikes — I had to order a different panel holder today for our trip and ordered one today, so I’d get it in time for the trip. I tried calling their phone number this morning, but it still won’t take any messages.
                                I will write Daytripper Now and Let them know to cancel it. But I don’t think they check their email.
                                Too bad, I liked their product— but the Sienna compact one I ordered seems good also and will be here in time for our trip.
                                Thanks again!

KMpainter

Hi, I was hoping to order a day tripper easel but after reading this I have my concerns. Did you finally get contact and your money refunded? Anyone else have any issues with them? Thanks

chamisa

Hi, I was hoping to order a day tripper easel but after reading this I have my concerns. Did you finally get contact and your money refunded? Anyone else have any issues with them? Thanks

No, I haven’t been refunded yet, but hopefully will be soon.
                                        They finally communicated back (AFTER I cancelled my order and they sent it to me anyway) and said they were hiring some new people to get better customer service and they apologized BUT they made me pay the shipping back to them even though it was their mistake. At least after talking with them, they let me return it via US postage $14 instead of their normally required UPS return which was $22.

Since they never sent me the panel holder in time for the workshop, I had to order a different one and I ordered the compact smaller Sienna panel holder through Blicks. It is fantastic!! It is a gorgeous piece of woodwork and way more stable less wobble, and easier to use than the day tripper one. Even if I press hard and fast with a palette knife it doesn’t wobble. It is a little more expensive but totally worth it.
                                        I have a depth perception vision problem and can’t deal with a lot of wobble. Both of my pochade boxes wobble and I’m tired of lugging my more stable French easel, so this set up is perfect for me.

Also, I got the Coulter palette box which is very very stable and a larger palette than the day tripper. Coulter gave me GREAT customer service.
                                        Here’s a link to the Sienna Panel holder, but it’s much cheaper to get it through Blicks — but this link has more pictures of it. It’s very lightweight and small 1.5 pounds. And there’s only ONE knob to adjust. The bottom crossbar stays secure, and you only raise the top crossbar. You can adjust your tripod raised rod to the height you need and just always keep it there.
                                        https://www.madisonartshop.com/canvas-holder.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.