WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > The Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2020, 08:51 AM

Will linseed based blue tones turn all to green?

Will all linseed based blue tones turn to green? I bought some cheaper L&B Fine Artist oils and even the yellows and blue tones are made with linseed oil.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2020, 12:08 PM
Enthusiast
Baltimore, MD

Hails from United States
Re: Will linseed based blue tones turn all to green?

Go to any good art museum. You'll see lots of blue skies. Some of those paintings were made with walnut oil, but most were made with linseed oil.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2020, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Will all linseed based blue tones turn to green?

I don't think so. Most really bad yellowing has been cause by varnishes or other substances mixed into the oil paint.

Linseed forms a stronger paint film than the other drying oils.

Use your L&B paints with confidence.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2020, 05:55 PM

In their extra fine line they use on yellow and blue colors safflower instead linseed.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2020, 09:07 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintcostas
Will all linseed based blue tones turn to green? I bought some cheaper L&B Fine Artist oils and even the yellows and blue tones are made with linseed oil.

NO.

Unless you completely screw up a painting and add way too much oil, you will not have any issues with yellowing.

Please take my advice: Stop researching oil painting and materials on the internet. JUST PAINT.

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2020, 04:01 PM

Short answer - no.

I was surprised to find in my own testing, that whereas whites bound in linseed oil will yellow after dark aging, blues and blue tints generally do not.

EXCEPT for PB15:4 which is often thinned out and marketed as manganese hue. I have an alkyd version of this paint and it does turn quite green even when not dark aged. That said, maybe the non-alkyd, or better pigmented version, or version bound in another oil would fare better.

Also, as others have pointed out - L&B uses either safflower or poppy oil (I think they use linseed for darks/earths though?). Either way, no need to worry.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2020, 02:01 AM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

I used a lot of blue paint in my paintings but I have some experience to predict final color of paint layer after drying. I can't say, that my blue oil paints (including Cobalt, Prussian Blue, Ultramarine, Indantrone and Phthalo) turns to yellow shade. No. They can turn to a little darker and more neutralized blue tone. But I can paint with lighter blue color to correct that. And I always use Linseed oil in my painting medium. Safflower and Walnut never impressed me. Linseed oil is what I like much.