WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2004, 09:15 AM
Lower Matecumbe mm74

Hails from United States
Arrow Varnish?

In several posts, artists have mentioned varnish with acrylics. Why? I have never used a varnish, how does varnish affect acrylic work?

ryan

Rossism "Make Art. Trade Art. Boogie."
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2004, 11:07 AM

Hails from Germany
Re: Varnish?

I have no long experience with acrylics but i started to use it to seal a painting from dirt. I heard that the surface of an acrylic painting is very sensitive to dirt due to its porous nature. But that might be only information i got from a varnish salesman .
I like the look as wel it looks more like a real painting. The colors also apear more shiny. But until now i only used it twice.

hope this helps.

Bye,

Alexander Becker
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2004, 01:51 PM
Lower Matecumbe mm74

Hails from United States

Thanks ahab,

What type of varnish do you use? Does anybody else have much to say about varnish?

ryan

Rossism "Make Art. Trade Art. Boogie."
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2004, 02:07 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Now I'm there

Hails from United States

I've not used varnish. But I use matte or gloss acrylic medium to thin when I paint instead of water. If I only used water, then I would probably either varnish or put a thinned layer of acrylic medium as a final coat.

Debra
Debra Spinks Art on Facebook My Art Blog WCAAPOI
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2004, 02:47 PM

Hails from United States

From my own experience, I'd say that for acrylics, a varnish layer will the give the painting surface a more even sheen. Look at an acrylic painting in different angles of light and you will probably notice patches of the canvas that have a different surface sheen then others, some may appear flat, while other areas shiny, etc.. A varnish layer will help smooth that out and give the entire canvas a nice even surface consistency, which makes the painting much easier to see in a variety of different lighting environment, in my opinion.

As for archival protection.... I'm no expert on this. I know most varnish has UV protection, which should protect against fading and color shift ("lightfastness"). I've been thinking about doing an experiement on my own to see this protection in action. The idea was to paint two large colored squares on canvas of the same color, varnish one square but not the other, then leave the canvas in my window in the direct sunlight and see what happens.

Dirt, dust, smoke (say 10-15 years worth) can also stain a canvas pretty heavily, and without a varnish coat, I'd imagine it would be tough to clean an acrylic painting and get all the gunk off without compromising the paint. Varnish provides a layer that makes it safe to do a more heavy cleaning of the painting surface (providing the cleaner used is not one that will penetrate the varnish). I've also heard that acrylic paint is self-sealing, but I'd imagine that depends on the amount of paint used, I'm not sure I'd trust a thin or transparant area of the painting where the canvas shows through quite a bit to a heavy soap&water scrubbing without knowing a solid layer of varnish was there for protection.

Again, I'm not an expert, so if anyone wants to offer clarification, please do

Aaron.

Last edited by scandia3815 : 01-12-2004 at 02:52 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2004, 02:57 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United Kingdom

If you care to do a "forum search" - type in the word, varnish. You'll find something like 200+ threads on the subject of varnishing acrylics - the pros, the cons, the difficulties, the benefits, and of course the preferences of the individual. Plenty to read up on, anyway. If you also go to the "GOLDEN" website - do an inquiry on the matter of varnishing. They give excellent advice, imo.

andy.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2004, 03:45 PM

Hails from Canada

here's the lonk to Liquitex's varnish page

part of the lit is marketing, but still there's valuable info in there

http://www.liquitex.com/products/varnishes.cfm