WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2011, 10:08 PM

My first Art Show Sunday .... prices?

Sunday is going to be my first Art show. In the past I have done craft shows and did not do well but I got my feet wet in displaying and what is selling. I'm still not sure how to price my work. I have a lot of 16x20 and 18x24 .... about 50 canvases...... I was very bored last year This show is not a BIG Art show but it was juried and it's at a Jewish Community Center in a very busy vacation area. At the craft shows I had my 16x20 priced at $40 - $50 and my 18x24 at $75 - $100. I am afraid that high prices will scare people off, especially in such a bad economy. But I believe some of my work is worthy of higher prices. I could really use some advice.

~Loretta Girzatlis~
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2011, 10:18 PM
Lord of the Arts
East Coast USA

Hails from United States
Re: My first Art Show Sunday .... prices?

You may want to ask this question in the art business forum. $40 for a 16x 20 does sound low. I noticed you even have some of your work framed.

Drawing is the basis of art. A bad painter cannot draw. But one who draws well can always paint. (Arshile Gorky)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2011, 12:04 AM

Thank you .... i'll post in the other forum
cathy ...... in NJ

~Loretta Girzatlis~
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2011, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member
Minnesota

I agree, that sounds really low. At $40 for a 16x20 you're barely even covering the cost of materials!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Dana Design

If this is your usual method of showing your work, it is way too cluttered. Paintings need to breathe, they need room around them. Investing in some standing racks wouldn't be a bad idea.

As for prices, yes, $40 seems too low but you know better than anyone what the traffic will bear. Sometimes it's best to get your work out there and sold in order to move your prices up over time.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Enthusiast
Hudson Valley, NY

Hails from United States

I also had a show over the summer. I think what you have to do is look around your area and see what's comprable to your artistic level and also base it on what you've sold recently or not sold to see what the market will bare. It's tricky, good luck on your show.