Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Poppy J

Hi, all! I haven’t posted in several years so please bear with me and my “happy fingers”. This is an 18 x 24 dune scene from Cannon Beach, Oregon in July of 2019, via my patio. Hope to get out soon for plein-air painting. Critiques are always welcome! Joe

nha63

Welcome back, Joe. It’s a great painting; I particularly like the handling of the foreground grasses and the soft focus of the waves – seems like a spot I’ve been before.

Poppy J

Thank you so much, Neal! There’s no such thing as a bad day at the beach.😊

bobbymac

I really like everything about this painting. Well done!

franglais

Heading to Florida for a week at the beach this week…. and looking forward to scenes like this! It’s beautifully done. Especially love your grasses in the foreground. Great job!

Mike

Poppy J

Bob, thank you. I enjoyed checking out your Facebook gallery! Talented painter, I’ll have to pick your brain about your portraits. I’m strong with a pencil/graphite but not so much with the pastels.

Poppy J

Thank you, Mike. Hope you have a great week at the beach and some time to paint! A little jealous of your get-away! Have fun!

water girl

Nicely done, Poppy! There is a lovely sense of wind blowing, waves breaking and sea grasses rustling. You didn’t mention which paper you chose.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

Poppy J

Hi there, Water Girl! Thank you so much. I had this paper in my stash of sanded papers. The only thing I remember is that it is on museum grade paper, probably French made? This was excellent paper as I really maxed out the tooth of the paper. I normally use Rembrandts on my under paintings applied with solvent. I used a mix of Unison, Mt. Vision and Schmincke soft pastels. I’ll pay better attention next time.😊

bobbymac

Bob, thank you. I enjoyed checking out your Facebook gallery! Talented painter, I’ll have to pick your brain about your portraits. I’m strong with a pencil/graphite but not so much with the pastels.

Thank you for the compliment Joseph and I would be happy to help.

I love your handling of the foreground grass. Very nice.

Esther

Poppy J

Thank you, Esther! This was a fun one.

b’anna

Nicely done!

Poppy J

Thank you, Barb!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.