WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Animal and Wildlife Subjects
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#106   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2020, 08:57 AM
Enthusiast
Johnstown, Pennsylvania, USA

Hails from United States
Re: The ANIMAL INN - Our Chatroom for 2020

Vivien - Thanks so much for the birthday greetings. I will be 60 and am mainly thinking of how tough this must be on others. Since I have no close friends or family, I have no one to "miss".

We never watch the news on TV at all. I am just keeping up with our local paper on what we must do here. Since we were self-employed, I wonder what will happen to those people, as we would not have been eligible for unemployment, etc. We did not have any employees.

I will try to start another art project, and am still going through paperwork from the trip, as there were many changes.

Penny - I am a very healthy eater (don't even like junk food) and that pizza sounds delicious. Yesterday we stopped at Aldi on a whim, as there has been a shortage of OJ (unrelated to CV) and they had a lot. Still no TP, and I don't expect any for weeks. Oddly enough, healthy items are more plentiful. I guess people are so stocked up on other things that they are not buying fresh produce and there is a surfeit.They were selling large trays of strawberries and pineapple for $! each to get rid of them, and they were in excellent condition.

Again, we were the only ones yesterday at the indoor archery range. Often we are the only ones, but since league and state shoots are cancelled, not as many are coming to practice. It is to be warm tomorrow, so we may try to pistol shoot again. If we have a stay at home order like other hard hit areas, I don't know if we can continue to do that. Archery/shooting are outdoor activities, so I don't know. Thise is large cities must really be suffering. On Saturday I always run in the AM, clean in the PM and then work out with weights. But then it is dinnertime and I am, as you would say, "knackered"!
  #107   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2020, 10:07 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Sorry for the typos in my post. Produce should be one dollar.

I never tried acrylics and have enough to do with WC. You are also very talented.
  #108   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2020, 12:45 PM
A Local Legend
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

I eat a lot of vegetables, Joy and not a lot of meat. I canít eat berries, the or juices made from them, as I am intolerant to the Salycilates in them and get very itchy. The only fruit I can cope with are bananas and pears and the odd named
variety of apples, such as Grannie Smith or Jonathan. I donít like sharp apples, so tend not to buy them. Fish is all right at long as itís fresh or frozen at sea as soon as itís caught. I eat the odd rash of bacon on a sandwich. I donít like chicken very much but do like lamb, but meat being so dear, I donít buy it often.

Iíve just done a little more digging-up of celandines while Lesley walked Indy.

Iíve received a very nice Jacquie Lawson digital card and three ordinary
ones through the post.

Iíve just prepared vegetables to roast for my evening meal and am crashing in front of the tv.

The WholeEarth piazzas° are gluten and dairy free and I enjoy them, say once a week.

I hope you will be able to keep up your archery. We are allowed out for exercise and for shopping. Perhaps it will be categorised as exercise. We wouldnít be allowed to drive to a range. Is yours near enough to walk?

Enjoy your birthday as much as you can. Indy will be keeping me company for mine, of course. I canít credit that I am 73 years old. Where have all those years gone!
  #109   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2020, 08:34 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Penny - Happy, Happy Birthday!!!

Since you are ahead of us time wise, I am posting this in the evening so you can see it tomorrow. Best wishes for the day; we both never imagined this would be the situation.

I did see on a UK map that your area, of course, would have less CV than the larger cities. Our county has a population of about 130,000 and one (confirmed) case. Adjacent counties only have a few. The area is mountainous and geographically isolated. I was concerned when the first case was found nearly a week ago that it would continue to increase, and became quite concerned but am feeling much better now. Only the larger cities are reporting increases, although I am sure they are testing more aggressively. Those here are taking the regulations seriously. When we returned on the 19th, we were kind of thrown into it all and it overwhelmed me.

There is never much in the way of traffic here, as everything is spread out. Unless one lives in the downtown area (our office was there, five miles from our house) one can generally not walk to shopping, etc. And downtown is mainly businesses, senior apts., and the hospital. The nearest supermarket to our home is about a three mile drive. Our area is primarily residential. There is a chemist, as you would call it, about 1.5 miles away from our home. Our neighborhood is not zoned for any businesses, which is part of the reason we live there. We are west of the downtown and the area east of town has the malls, etc, about 10 miles from home. The archery and shooting ranges are several miles away, spread out over several acres.

I am almost done my monthly challenge, overworking as usual.

Best wishes for a great birthday!
  #110   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2020, 06:08 AM
A Local Legend
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

Thank you, Joy. Many happy returns of the day to you.

Thanks for your news. I am pleased you are not in a crowded city. We are in 10 miles from the city of Bath, surrounded by fairly rural countryside. Iíve not heard of a case in Trowbridge, yet, and am crossing everything and hoping that it stays that way. I hope to see your challenge work, soon.

Iíve received some lovely digital cards. Lesley sent a Jacquie Lawson one with dogs running in the woods, chasing squirrels, rabbits and birds. All the things Indy likes doing. I have walked him, vacuumed and washed the floors. Our clocks went forward last night, so doesnít seem like 11 a.m. I will have a lazy day, listening to Radio3, doing crosswords, reading and watching tv. You take care and have as good a day as you can.
  #111   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2020, 11:56 AM
Trowbridge, Wiltshire UK

Hails from England

Joy

Happy Birthday to you. Enjoy your day.

Lesley
  #112   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2020, 07:56 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Penny and Lesley - Thank you so much for your good wishes. Jerry put some candles on my breakfast. My "gifts" are knowing we are back safely, having a good time on the cruise (will post more about that later) and the CV being very minimal to none in our area of the state.

We were fortunate enough to have a warm, but increasingly breezy, day. I went running this AM, as usual for Sunday. After lunch we went to the shooting range for target practice. Usually I avoid Sundays, so others that work can go, but today it got to 25 degrees C and the rest of the week it is to be cold. There was a few guys on the other side (about 20 meters away) and they were only there briefly. I did hear reports from the rifle and other adjacent ranges. Several hundred yards away, we could see a few practicing trap shooting in the trap field. Of course, upcoming league will be cancelled if necessary.

Tomorrow we will shoot at the indoor archery range as usual. Other than the stress, we do not have to change much of what we normally do. It must be awful for those with an active social life. And I don't know how those (in any country) that rely on tips, sales, commissions or are self-employed will ever be able to survive. Parents must be worried to death about the future of their children and their country's economy. Governments cannot give monies to everyone to make up for the losses, as they are so variable from person to person.

Last edited by JoyK : 03-29-2020 at 07:58 PM.
  #113   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2020, 03:46 AM
Trowbridge, Wiltshire UK

Hails from England

Joy
Penny and I enjoyed a piece of cake and a drink via face time for her birthday.

Went for a long walk in the after noon with Indy. Did not see many people but the ones we did see were very good about Social isolating. It was sunny here with a very cold wind.

I am glad you had a nice day.

My brother tried to face time last night but for some reason could not get through so we spoke on the phone as usual. He was saying the walk he and his wife do is in the woods close to where they live are getting a lot busier now. He lives just outside Edinburgh , Scotland.

Hope every one is keeping busy and healthy.

Lesley
  #114   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2020, 11:56 AM
A Local Legend
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

Thanks for your news, Joy. I am pleased you were able to get out for a run and for your sport. We are very lucky to live in the countries we do. It is such a relief to be retired and have my state pension.

The Housing Society from which I rent my house, rang to see how I am coping. They must be contacting all their tenants over 70, or in the vulnerable category.
Isnít that caring of them!

Indy is wearing boots today to protect his pads, which become grazed and sore.

Last edited by Schuee : 03-30-2020 at 12:03 PM.
  #115   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2020, 12:04 PM
A Local Legend
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England