WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2020, 03:49 PM

Hails from Spain
Re: Scavenger Hunt #618 - Jan 16-24

Ned, nice sink sketch with all the ducks. About the border, I don't know exactly what you mean. If you mean the border of the sink, then yes it can of course change perspective, but in this case the border matches the rest of the items. For example, in your sketch the bottom of the toothbrushes support is at the same height as the top of the bottles in the box, and in the photograph the top of the toothbrushes is at the same height as the top of the bottles in the box. If you mean the border of the whole sketch, then I doubt it can change the angle (take this with a lot of salt) but it might change the distance.
I am not sure I have explained myself very well there. Anyway, it was meant as an observation and not as criticism, and your perspective looks good even if it is at a higher angle that you might have intended.

Ai, hi!, happy birthday! Have fun with the piano.

Joe, beautiful and very fun chair with the animal! Your shading is smooth even with a .5 mechanical pencil, I aplaude you. It looks like a child size chair, or is it a very big stuffed animal?

A quick one.
1- car - ink. The car was parked next to mine, and don't get fooled by my sketch, it was in pristine condition.

Last edited by individuo : 01-22-2020 at 03:51 PM.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2020, 06:53 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

NedL - great job on the sink. I like the ducky items. :-) This happens to me, I think I'm looking straight and I get above the sketch in my drawing. I do it in landscape painting, too. Something in perspective lines. Don't worry about it, enjoy and practice. We wouldn't know if you didn't tell us.

Joe, Spanish is fun.. I love the little nurse animal. And in a chair as a bonus! Nice work.

Individuo, such a great car. You did a super drawing. Cars are so hard for me. You see lots of those and other small cars I bet. When we were in Chile there were many. We would park in a lot and when we came back to get our car there would be cars all around it. They would pick them up and move them to get to ours. We had a small Dodge station wagon and it dwarfed many of the cars. We thought our car was small. Ha.

Ai, happy birthday and we will be waiting to hear your playing. :-)

I sketched in the big book again. It barely fit between me and the steering wheel in the little car. I didn't want to move the car out into the rain to get in the passenger side. I sketched the view from the dining room as it is rainy and cloudy today. Micron 02 pen.

Winston Churchill
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2020, 09:27 PM
N. California

Hails from United States

individuo -- The border around the whole sketch, but I could easily be wrong. No big deal, it just seemed strange... Jo's right, I might have let my viewpoint rise up I like that car and the drawing probably has a lot more character than the new pristine car did!!

Jo -- oh wow I love that view from your dining room. There's a lake behind the trees? I don't think of Texas as a place with many lakes, but now that I think of it there is a lot of water in South Texas. I've been to West Texas more often.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2020, 10:34 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Buenos Dias!

Individuo - The car is super. Cars are tough to draw.
I envy anyone who can draw direct in ink. You can look at my sketch today and see lots of stray lines that would really standard out in ink. I use eraser as much as pencil in the contour drawing.
Yo hablo inglés. ¿Tú hablas inglés?
As to the chair it is scaled to the bear. Neither is large.

Jo, is that the same spot as the wedding? Like how you did the trees. I lean towards the scribble method. Also bear is not a nurse, I left out the hat details. Nice work on center console.

Keep sketching
Joe
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2020, 11:52 PM
N. California

Hails from United States

Forgot to say I like the bear in the chair! My daughter had a little rocking chair like that and it's sitting in our living room with a bear in it too...
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2020, 12:05 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Ah, Joe, that is such a cute bear. Yes it is the wedding spot. We don't know who they were, it is a pretty spot for a wedding. For the others there was a wedding there last Saturday. My photo is pretty bad. The bride had a lovely long white lacy dress.

Winston Churchill
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2020, 02:32 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Here is a picture to give better scale. The light color tile is 6 in. The darker time is 12 in.

Joe
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2020, 05:04 PM

Hails from Spain

Jo, thanks. Funny story with people picking up cars , that's not possible with today's cars, they are much bigger now. The beautiful view from your dining room rings a bell or two . Great work on the interior of the car too.

Ned, thanks! Have you been practicing washes? How is it going?

Joe, gracias! Sí, hablo algo de inglés (yes, I speak some English). Cute bears in the chairs, smaller than I thought. The smaller one looks suitable for a pastel painting
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2020, 08:15 PM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Thank you all for my belated birthday wish. I'm glad to be here...you guys are my rocks and my everyday blessing.

I have posted the next Hunt#619 here but you all still have time with this Hunt.

Painting is my soul. My blog.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2020, 08:48 PM
N. California

Hails from United States

Joe - Oh, I had the scale of the bear all wrong. My daughter's little rocking chair is maybe 2 feet tall. She was able to sit in it when she was little.

Individuo - a little... I just practiced trying to fill in areas smoothly -- not drawing just painting blobs and lines and areas. A few things:
  • It works better with a light touch and working quickly
  • It works better if the brush is a little drier
  • If the brush has too much liquid, the ink "granulates" ( I'm not sure that's the right word... it makes tiny dark speckles instead of a smooth tone )
  • I was holding the brush too tightly
  • It's difficult to smoothly fill in a large area

I might try some more this evening. Also, one evening I spent about an hour trying to make a sky like in this one, and never got anything even remotely close

I was looking at old scavenger hunts and Joan T did some ink wash in Oct 2018 that look a lot like what I want to learn. I'm wondering if sometimes it might help to wet the paper first like watercolor people do "wet in wet". I haven't tried it yet.

I did a sketch at the beach yesterday... tired tonight, might be the first day I don't sketch something ( my daughter says "it's great to sketch every day but don't make it pressure or be hard on yourself if you miss a day, because then it will be harder to start again".. she's 40 years younger than me but sometimes wiser ) If I paint some blobs into the sketchbook there will be something in there from today... also, a couple months ago the idea of filling a sketchbook being a goal sounded like a good goal but not very likely to happen. Now I can't believe how fast it's filling up, and there's not much doubt that I'm going to fill it. Wish I'd put dates on the first ones, they were about a year ago I think, all in pencil. The exercises I did from "right side of the brain" were before that on a scratch pad, and I didn't keep them all. It's just recently that something changed.. I think it was trying to use ink, which I would have said was impossible and crazy and I could never draw something in ink!!!

Last edited by NedL : 01-23-2020 at 08:57 PM.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2020, 10:30 AM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Hola!

Individuo - Not much to post from lessons today was mostly review of greetings.

Ai - Thanks for new list. Think we all share in feelings for our little group.

Ned - Have one of those too.

You are new so not aware that my wife collects stuffed animals, mostly bears, and dolls. There are some of each in every room.
Changing media can have a big impact on your art and the frequency you create. My first love was pastels then came color pencils. Through it all I always did a little graphite which is my current go to media but trying to get back into pastels.

Keep sketching
Joe
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2020, 10:00 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Thanks, Joe for the list. I fully intended to sketch at least one more day. Sigh, the best of intentions. I like all the photos.
See all y'all next Hunt. Hasta luego....
Winston Churchill