Home Forums Explore Subjects Plein Air Leaving my home to paint outdoors is now a criminal offense

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    contumacious

Is it wrong, selfish, irresponsible and dangerous to go out by myself and do a plein air painting (not classified as an essential activity like shopping for food) during the new apocalypse when there isn’t a soul within 100 feet of me at any time? Certainly I am not endangering anyone as long as I keep my distance from all humans, don’t touch things that others might touch and don’t cough into the wind when anyone is around.

Yet, there are places in the world, the USA and apparently now in the state where I live, though thankfully not in my town or county YET, that I can be arrested for doing just that, fined up to $1000 and sent to jail for a year.

I’m afraid it is an activity that doesn’t fit into the rules, and seems harmless enough, like fishing by a lake for example, but at this time it is better to paint at home.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Bartc

I live in the SF Bay Area, where the first “shelter in place” rules were adopted in the US for Covid. Needless to say, it’s stopped all our group paint outs for a while.

But I have not seen actual enforcement of restrictions on solitary recreational activities, as long as you keep that magic social distance. Maybe that will change? Have to admit, though I’ve fantasized about walking a short distance in my neighborhood to paint alone on a weekend is tempting. Haven’t had to test the police on that, because it’s raining all the time.

Ah well, my hope is that all of us survive this with our health and our creativity intact so that we can resume normal painting. Just my two cents.

contumacious

I’m afraid it is an activity that doesn’t fit into the rules, and seems harmless enough, like fishing by a lake for example, but at this time it is better to paint at home.

Doug

SOME GOOD NEWS! A statement from the governor of my state that I just read today clarifying the stay home request, we are allowed to go to national and state parks that are within the county where we live as long as you practice safe antisocial distancing rules, so I am going to take advantage of that until they say otherwise. :clap: I am so thankful that I don’t live in or anywhere near a large city.

Before you judge and condemn me, please remember that there is absolutely no virus transmission risk to me or others with this action as long as I don’t get too close to anyone or use any facilities where I have to touch anything so I can paint guilt free, though I am sure there are some out there who would have me “put against a wall”. Another plus is nobody is going to walk up to me and interrupt the painting session with a bunch of questions!

!

Anonymous

There is a danger to you if you break down or you are in an accident. Remote but very possible. Probably would not have much of a chance of getting a lift home if you went off the road. Not advising, just saying. Your body, and if you are not carrying you only endanger yourself and loved ones living with you. It is a very tough time but all things pass.

Previous posts lead me to believe that you might live in Utah. Even Summit County with the most stringent measures still allows solo outdoors activities like running and hiking. You might ask if similar rules are extended to where you live.

I live in Salt Lake City and sometimes paint in City Parks. They were filled with people the first days after we were asked to social distance. I suspect that under the shelter in place rules the city will address this. We are still permitted to go out for exercise. I do a couple times a day. I am trying to figure out how to stay within the spirit of the law and still paint outdoors.

"Painting is a verb"

~JMW~

In populated areas with other people walking around on side walks & in parks, is quite different than out in a rural or unpopulated area..

Oregon says outdoor walking/exercise is fine just stay a safe distance from others….
                        But travelling for activities other than necessities is frowned on..

~Joy~

contumacious

Trickist, yes I live in southern Utah. I noticed that the mayor of Salt Lake has criminalized disobeying the current regs. She enacted fines and the ability to arrest and jail people who don’t follow the rules which is more stringent than the current State guidelines for the stay at home order. Some government entities were actually encouraging people to get out doors to visit the parks and do stuff, just keep the distance and don’t congregate.

Above I said you had to be in the same county as the park, that only applies to State Parks. The national parks in Utah are all open to everyone, as long as you do the social distancing thing and don’t gather in groups I presume over 10 people.

Anyway, we had a great day in Zion N.P. today. 56 degrees, plenty of parking, nice clouds. We literally didn’t touch anything in the park other than the ground with the bottom of our boots and never got closer than about 20 feet to any other people that were not part of our family. The spring green is coming on, the wildlife is out and about. The park rangers were very positive and helpful. All of the park visitors we saw were very careful not to get closer than about 10 feet to each other even on narrow trails. The only questionable behavior we saw was a group of young girls (17 to 20ish?) driving in a late model convertible BMW, throwing their trash onto the ground in the parking lot. The campgrounds and restrooms were all closed, so there was a lot of “boondock” camping leading into Springdale. There were a few porta-potties at the parking areas for people to use. In town there were quite a few people seated in groups outside of restaurants eating their take out food. Several shops and galleries were open which surprised me. Restaurants were take out only. Nobody was at the entrance booth and there was plenty of parking all through the park.

ilya K

You should not blame them for that. While majority would take precautions even without those rules, there will still be few percent of stupid, and they will keep it spreading. So it is simp!er to make it tough for the good of everyone, so that hopefully in a few months you will be allowed to paint whereever you want. The next months are not about living but about surviving. I live in a region heavily affected. One person died just few houses from ours. Stay safe and healthy and follow the rules.

Ilya K
                                C&C always welcome

marksmomagain

I’m outside pretty much all day, every day. Chores don’t stop. When I get a chance to draw or paint outside, I take it. I finally got around to taking the snowblower off my tractor, and the last few days, I’ve been working on a nice pastel of one of my ponds.

I also do the shopping for four of my elders, so at 6am this morning, I was in town at the grocery and then on to WalMart, then the feed store.

Gonna saddle up for a nice long trail ride. I’m taking my sketch kit along in my saddlebags.

contumacious

Stay safe and healthy and follow the rules.

I am following the rules – 100%, so no worries. We are allowed to leave our homes whenever we want to go outdoors any time we want for “non essential” things like hiking, walking, sight seeing, painting, photography poetry writing etc. as long as you practice the no closer than 6 feet rule and no groups larger than 10. I generally double that 6 feet when I run into people not in our group for an added buffer. We are told not to go to places where people congregate like stores, work if possible, banks, post offices and such, unless it is necessary.

Fortunately where I live I can travel by foot or dirt roads for hundreds of miles and never get closer than 25 feet to another human being outside their vehicle. Often I can spend the whole day on a hike and not see anyone else.

papawdelta

Here in New Jersey, 18 miles as the crow flies from Ground Zero, they have now closed all the parks because many people were still congregating there. Tough laws and/or regulations need to be in place to stop the spread of the virus. Unfortunately, as with all laws and regs, they are obeyed not only to the spirit but to the letter by some of us while simultaneously flagrantly ignored or violated by others. Yesterday, while out for a walk, I was almost run off the sidewalk by a young couple speed-walking their dog. I heard them coming up behind me and ran 10 feet onto a lawn to avoid them. They laughed hysterically at my effort to avoid them. And so it goes…..

contumacious

Most of the National parks here are now closed because people were not following the social distancing guidelines. It is sad to see since there is no need to close them if people would just follow the rules. City and County governments are closing most of the popular camping and hiking spots because the thousands of tourists now have nowhere to go. The last time I was out you could see people boondock camping along every dirt road in the county in their RVs all across the landscape far into the distance.

If you have your cell phone turned on as you enter Utah, you will get an automated text requesting that you fill out a form dealing with where you have been, where you are going and COVID related questions. They obviously know your location and your cell number, so I suppose it is possible that they are going to track you as you move through the state and might stop you if they feel the need. I had no idea that the government could send you an unsolicited text based on your geographic location.

As of this morning, there are just 43 confirmed cases and only 1 death in almost 18,000 square miles of land in the SW corner of the state with barely over 100K people living here. Normally 4-5 million tourists come here during the tourist season. Those numbers of course aren’t happening now, but there are still too many tourists here. Some local jurisdictions will not allow anyone to stay overnight in their town or area. The throngs of out of state and foreign visitors just aren’t quite grasping the fact that they really need to go home before they won’t be allowed to do so.

Just seen a report that the police have to deal with over 1,000 incidents in Greater Manchester UK of people flouting the rules and holding house parties and street parties with neighbours and friends :eek:

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Hunter1

Just seen a report that the police have to deal with over 1,000 incidents in Greater Manchester UK of people flouting the rules and holding house parties and street parties with neighbours and friends :eek:

Wow! I live in Maryland, few weeks ago the police arrested a guy for the second time in Baltimore for having corona 19 parties. People are there own worst enemies sometimes.

I can only try to paint, What the lord created.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.