Home Forums Explore Subjects Abstract and Contemporary Art Wary or contrary?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Bilateral

Oil sticks over acrylic pour, WIP
        30” x 30” unstretched canvas

Exploring with oil sticks over the summer. These were applied atop a cured acrylic pour. Blending and shading done with fingertips. There was no advance plan, just went with what emerged.
        Not sure what I think yet. Do like working over the slick poured surface and the challenge of extending my patience with oils :) .
        CnC always appreciated. Thanks for viewing.

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]“Do not fear mistakes - there are none.” Miles David

CarlyHardy

Wow! your colors just explode off the canvas! Really rich and bold.

Bilateral

Thanks Carly. Explodes is a good description. Yellows need to be damped down some more.
                In the post, I flipped it 90 degrees right to make her face less obvious. Perhaps she isn’t as obvious as I thought?
                Here is the original orientation.

maryinasia

beautiful

trufflecat

I still don’t see the face, so no worries there! Beautiful piece. I love your color choices. Very dynamic, full of motion.

Art is never finished, only abandoned.-- Leonardo da Vinci :thumbsup:

http://www.susanbaileyart.com
                        The Edge

This is really good, I saw the face right off but thought you wanted that orientation. I think the colors are fine just as they are.
                            (my opinion) :thumbsup:

Bruce

I picked out a face on its side when you first posted it. It is perfect as is upright. Almost sultry. Great job, Bilateral!

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Teddy

I’d say wary.. and cool painting.. feels like real heat on it

✧  ☆  ✶  ✧        
                                ✶ 
                                ✮ 
                                ✧  
                                ✶ 
                                       ✮  ✧ ✮ ✶
                                           teds

Bilateral

Thank you Mary and Susan. Like your perspective Susan. I think my familiarity with her made her all I could see :lol:

Bilateral

Many thanks Bruce, Kay and Ted. Comments are much appreciated. Based on your feedback, I think it’s time to stop.

I’m preferring the side orientation because of the flow of the blues and visual interest. Sultry (:heart: ) and wary. Works for me.

tidal

I understand this medium and pouring technique and I agree that is the beauty of this approach in that it is organic and unpredictable so it can take you out of your comfort zone and break a few rules which is good:)

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

Bilateral

Thank you Tidal. It was one of those experiments where I’m never sure what
                                                might happen, but truly enjoy the journey.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.