Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum What is meant by "white spirits"?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    MrsSellers

This seems like a term that is more widely used outside the USA. Is this another name for mineral spirits, or is it a different substance?

WFMartin

No. I recently discovered when I tried to dissolve Soluvar Varnish with Odorless Mineral Spirits, that I had applied to an oil painting [and it didn’t work], that Odorless Mineral Spirits and White Spirits are two different things.

Odorless Mineral Spirits has had something (apparently powerful) taken out, in order to make it “Odorless”, thus weakening its dissolving capabilities.

White Spirits is a petroleum distillate that still contains all the powerful dissolving capabilities. It smells, but it has more dissolving power, apparently.

I always believed that “White Spirits” was just a British name for that which we in the USA call Odorless Mineral Spirits, but I recently learned otherwise. Apparently White Spirits would have dissolved the Soluvar Varnish, whereas the Odorless Mineral Spirits would not. (I can attest to the fact that OMS did NOT effectively dissolve Soluvar Varnish.) Not sure that White Spirits would have either, since I don’t have any of that.:)

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

contumacious

The generic terms White Spirits (in the UK) and Mineral Spirits (in the USA),. Mineral Turpentine (NZ / AUS) refer to the same general family of solvents. Some products labeled White Spirits can be exactly the same thing as some labeled Mineral Spirits. That being said, there is a wide range of materials called mineral spirits or white spirits varying in strength from one of the weakest, Gamsol to various fairly weak Odorless Mineral Spirits to stronger formulations under various brands and chemical compositions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_spirit

Gigalot

OMS contains ~2% Toluene or less, while MS (White spirit) contains ~15% of Toluene or even more. Solvent power of regular MS (White spirit, Stoddard solvent) is much stronger than of OMS. OMS is not useful to prepare Alkyds or mineral spirit varnishes.

MrsSellers

I see. Thanks everyone!

WFMartin

OMS contains ~2% Toluene or less, while MS (White spirit) contains ~15% of Toluene or even more. Solvent power of regular MS (White spirit, Stoddard solvent) is much stronger than of OMS. OMS is not useful to prepare Alkyds or mineral spirit varnishes.

So…..THAT explains the distinct odor of alkyd mediums! The alkyd manufacturers HAVE to use a Mineral Spirit that has a smell, or it wouldn’t be compatible with alkyd. Got it!

Seems I’ve been wrong all these years; Liquin and Galkyd do not smell like Kerosene, or Gasoline,…….they smell like Toluene. . That makes perfect sense to me, and I’m trying to recall the actual odor of Toluene, since it’s been a long time since I’ve smelled it. I do think that’s the smell of alkyd oil paint mediums!:thumbsup:

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Pinguino

Just FYI: Do not confuse “white spirits” (never heard the term before) with “white gasoline” (also known as “white gas”). White gasoline is very flammable, and is unsuited to anything other than certain kinds of fuel stoves and engines. Depending on formulation, it might be used as fuel in Coleman camping stoves, or as aircraft (propeller) engine fuel.

Anonymous

White spirits is the British term for mineral spirits. Just Google “white spirits meaning” to avoid all the alkyd misinformation that you get here.

Raffless

Yes its very common here in the UK. You find most people call it that. OMS is still white spirit but a weakened version. If you go into a hardware store you will be pointed to either.

Gigalot

Just interesting, what substance has better longevity, – Alkyd with white spirit odor or refined and sun bleached fast drying linseed oil? What is really more flexible and less yellow after 60 years of time exposed? :confused: Or they both are wrong at all?

Anonymous

Well the white spirit question has been fully answered so I guess it is now ok to hijack the thread and turn it into yet another alkyd train wreck.

MrsSellers

I started this thread, so I will hijack it in another direction with random questions.

Is it still possible to buy courtrai drier with lead in it? I’m assuming not.

(for Gigalot) What exactly is epoxide oil anyway?

Gigalot

(for Gigalot) What exactly is epoxide oil anyway?

Epoxide oil is linseed oil modified by making co-polymerization with dicyclopentadiene monomer. That adds more double bonds into oil molecule and improves drying force.

MrsSellers

Epoxide oil is linseed oil modified by making co-polymerization with dicyclopentadiene monomer. That adds more double bonds into oil molecule and improves drying force.

Hmm…it sounds like a desirable alternative to our presently available products. Why isn’t it more widespread? As far as I know, there is only one place to buy it.

Michael Lion

This seems like a term that is more widely used outside the USA. Is this another name for mineral spirits, or is it a different substance?

It means the same thing as mineral spirits, which just means petroleum distillates that can be used as paint thinner.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.