Home Forums Explore Subjects Landscapes Cityscapes/Urban Art "Nashville Street Corner" FINAL

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Reed Jones

36″ x 24″
        Oil on linen

www.reedmichaeljones.com

Critiques and feedback are welcomed!

AnnieA

Really nice, Reed! Ordinarily this amount of detail would overwhelm, but it’s just right for this scene as it reflects what I presume is the energy and excitement of the area. Beautiful color and a very interesting composition. I like it a lot!

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
            [FONT=Palatino]
            “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

Reed Jones

Thanks, Annie! My wife described this painting as sitting too close to the screen at a movie theater, insofar as there is a lot of detail to try to take in and not be overwhelmed. I agree and I certainly did try to keep things as loose as possible, but yeah. A lot going on…

www.reedmichaeljones.com

sea dangler

Excellent work,I am a lover of detailed work.
                    Dave

jonc50

Lovely work!

skipstah

Nice work Reed. The final piece looks polished. As far as the comment from your wife. I know the effect she is referring to. If you wanted to mitigate the effect in future, consider shooting your ref photos with a larger aperature (lower number). Depth of field really helps sell distance I think.

WEBSITE

Reed Jones

The only thing I could control w/ this photo was the crop. The original photo came from the WC Reference Library and I cropped in on it fairly radically. Admittedly, my crop sacrificed a sense of scale and distance, but that’s what I liked about it. I was going for shapes and colors and not so much scene capture. Another comment from my wife (I’m quoting her a lot) was that she liked the “abstraction” of the final, so I think she understood what I was going for.

www.reedmichaeljones.com

Love this up close scene, Reed! It has the city flavor and style.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Cherylkanuck

Wow I love the detail. Your pillars on the buildings look so amazing I just want to reach out and touch them.

Reed Jones

Thanks for the kind words! Those columns were what really piqued my interest when i first saw this reference photo. That’s also why I cropped in so tight – I wanted the columns to be the main focus.

www.reedmichaeljones.com

GPB7865

Awesome piece.

Anonymous

Yes, those columns first grab my eyes and pull them back again after examining all the surrounding lights.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.