WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2016, 05:26 PM

Replace Epson Stylus Photo 1400?

My trusty old printer needs replacing, and I need guidance. I print my own art cards and smaller fine art prints (up to 11" x 14"), on fine quality paper, matte finish. I'd like to be able to print on watercolor paper and canvas. I've looked at other Epson printers, but there are so many choices and they mostly mention photo printing. Any suggestions would be welcome. Looking at wide format with archival ink, hi resolution. Not an all-in-one, but just an update of what I had. Thanks in advance.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2016, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Tillamook, Oregon

Hails from United States
Re: Replace Epson Stylus Photo 1400?

HMD,
I have an Epson 3880. This model has been upgraded by the Epson 800. I have no plans to upgrade since the new model doesn't do anything significant for me.
Canvas can be a bit finicky loading but there are techniques to help. I do print some glossy and satin or luster papers including baryta but mostly do matte. One of my favorites is by Innova (IFA13), cold press, rough textured paper that makes my art reproductions that are watercolors and oils, look very much like originals. I originally opted for the 17" 3880 instead of the 13" model because the 80 ml inks were a better value. See Red River Paper for a good comparison. I think you can get a great deal on one instead of the newer P800 now.
I also print cards and use Red River's paper canvas with very good results and no feed problems.

Last edited by Quint : 07-12-2016 at 07:52 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2017, 03:23 PM
Turkey

Hails from Turkey
Smile Re: Replace Epson Stylus Photo 1400?

I agree with Quint. I have the same printer (Epson 3880), and very happy with it. I design handmade notebooks, and print the covers with it (will be happy if you visit and write your feedbacks also (Blemicasta-designer brand). I am very satisfied with the details of the print. By the way, for thick papers, its tray is very successful. I have no hesitation in suggesting Epson 3880.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2017, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States
Re: Replace Epson Stylus Photo 1400?

I also have a 3880. I have had various problems with it. It often does not want to load the paper, especially if it is a bit thicker, like a 90lb. I often have problems with ink spots and have to do various processes to remedy this. I don't find the directions very understandable and was greatly helped by a video on youtube about this printer instead. It does print beautifully on the paper I am using now, Epson Bright HP. This makes very rich matte prints. Quite a difference from the Red River Aurora I was using.