Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Back of the Diner

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

First production with new birthday pencils (got them early!)– Derwent Procolour — I am pretty sure after this short trial that I am going to really like them!

Learn as if you were going to live forever. - Ghandi

Sorry — that image is an enlargement and I don’;t know how it happened —
    but here is a more accurately sized one.

I still work small so I can learn faster!! And after this one — I need to work on dirt in general —

Whew – finally found the referrence image — I only took it a month ago but forgot what I called it and where I put it —

Pingpongfan

It is an interesting old building. I think you need a bit of artistic license to make your drawing “brighter”. I see some blue on the roof of the lower shed and also on the bigger one on the right. I see some yellow and maybe orange in the pebbles. The building at the back has a bit more beige. The bucket would be interesting to have in the pic. There is a chimney on the lower shed which could be silver although I see you have changed the roofline of the front shed. I wish I could help you more. As much as I have tried, I really cannot draw. So from my perspective, you have done really well. Keep on drawing.
        Vena

Vena —
        Great comments — and thank you for looking closely —
        my immediate attraction to the “view” was the yellow ochre one of my three favorite colors — I have trouble making things darker and not losing the strokes — there is practically nothing of a solid color anywhere near this scene — funny about your excellent observation of the blue on the roof — there are so many tin roofs in Vermont and 99.9% of them are ALWAYS grey and rust — period — it’s a reflex action! I will tinker with the blue — and attempt a bit of saturation if I can manage it without de-stroking anything!!

Thanks again — very much —

P.S. — a couple of asides —
        Isn’t Whitby where Dracula landed in England?
        And I went to the University of Western Ontario for Ph. D. work!! was there for three years — best 3 years of my life– sadly, I was born on the wrong side of the St. Lawrence.

Okay – Vena — worked on it using your help — I do think it is improved —

also added the pole and wires which I had forgotten about —
        Thanks much, once again, for your helpful all-seeing eye!

Pingpongfan

Looks good. It has come to life. What are you planning on doing next? I’m looking forward to seeing it.
            Vena

brissie

Definately got far more interest since adding the poles & cables… lovely little drawing now…
                I would suggest you try working bigger because frankly its much easier to get better details and interesting colours with layering… yes it takes more time but you learn so much in the process…
                Look forward to see what you tackle next 😊😊🥂

Brissie and Vena–
                Thanks so much for your comments — they are much appreciated — and VERY helpful!

Have just gotten a wonderful book — many inspiring works in it as well as really helpful thoughts and exercises for drawing —

Essential Techniques of Landscape Drawing by Suzanne Brooker. Primarily graphite oriented BUT has some really nice CP drawings as well as some pastel pencil and charcoal drawings.

Next (probably tomorrow) I’m going to post a CP drawing that is not of endangered buildings!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.