WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2020, 06:55 AM

Uglow's technique?

Dear All

As I'm quite new in this community, I hope my question fit to this thread section.

Since few years, I'm fascinated from the works of Euan Uglow. I love his "geometric" way to simplify his subject and to paint. I recently sow, that also the contemporary artist Andy Pankhurst is working in this way.

Since a lot of time I try to find out information about the workflow of Uglow but i didn't found anything that could explain me how his technique works.

Do you have any suggestion, how I could understand better this technique?

I know, that Uglow made a lot of measurement of his subjects, but I did not really get what he measured and his workflow.

Any help or suggestion is welcome, have a nice day!

L.D.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2020, 01:22 AM

Re: Uglow's technique?

I think he used a version of the Euston road school of painting. Everything is painted from life and measured (with one eye closed) by a long thin object held out at arms length, often the paint brush itself.

In addition to this, Uglow had real life objects and people often carefully arranged to fit classical proportions such as squares, golden sections, and root value rectangles. The placement of edges of objects and tonal changes were measured out by little crosses. Colours often being carefully matched to observed parts of the the object/person and placed within the simplified geometric partial division of the same illustrated by paint.

Last edited by Marc Kingsland : 02-23-2020 at 01:24 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2020, 04:54 AM

Thanks a lot for your answer! I did not know about the Euston road school of painting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Kingsland
Everything is painted from life and measured (with one eye closed)

Exactly, but what has been measured, proportion, shadows, colors? Do you may be suggest me some other artist (may be students?) that work like Uglow?

Thanks!
L.D.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Daz

Exactly, but what has been measured, proportion, shadows, colors? Do you may be suggest me some other artist (may be students?) that work like Uglow?

I was thinking proportion, but colours and shadow tones can be measured the same way by holding out a small sample, perhaps on a palette knife, at arms length.

I do know Uglow arranged everything very carefully in his studio. The placement of model or object, the canvas. Everything had to stay in the same position including the painter. If a life model was used, there were markings in the floor for them to be in the same position the next day or week.

Uglow was a teacher, so if you use a internet search engine, you can probably find some of his students work online.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2020, 08:12 PM

This book will get you in the ballpark in terms of matching and painting patches of color, but beware, the reprint offered here is very low quality. Hopefully it has led to the original publication going down in price.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Color-Pai.../dp/1626540632

I don't know if I can say this in a way that will persuade someone on the other side of the divide on this issue, but the real answer to your question is mostly not going to be about method, it's going to be about taste, understanding and (your esthetic) values. Means are really not that big a deal, although admittedly they can take experimentation and research to find, but means is literally nothing without taste and understanding.

The best way to get where you want to go is to define what you like about other artist's work, and only then search for means (techniques) which work for you to achieve those ends. Your developed taste will drive and guide you to find the means.

That said, Mark Carder has put a lot of thought into matching color, you can find his teachings at his site www.drawmixpaint.com

Last edited by Causality : 02-28-2020 at 08:15 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2020, 11:17 AM

Thanks a lot Causality!

This book seems to be just what I am looking for! I like the cover!

Thanks!
L.D.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2020, 03:00 PM

My pleasure!

The fun will really start when you work out the differences between what the book teaches you and Uglow's style. I'm glad you brought him up, there are aspects of his work I find very interesting.