WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Abstract and Contemporary Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2020, 08:22 PM

Re: "Maiden Voyage"

Awesome stuff!! Thanks for posting!
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2020, 10:06 PM
Immortalized
Southern Indiana

Hails from United States

Hey, thanks David! Appreciate such a nice compliment!

Thank you, Bobbybirds - fun name!

Keith J. Hampton's Website
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2020, 11:44 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

Wonderful painting Keith. Those rocks are great. Great work.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2020, 07:18 AM
Immortalized
Southern Indiana

Hails from United States

Thank you, John. I really like painting rocks. People? Much harder.

#20   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2020, 09:39 AM

This absolutely tells a story. Is she a Selkie? I love fantasy so this appeals to me.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2020, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member

You see your textured rocks behind the lass there and the lass is smooth as silk..well if it were other way around ie the lass was textured (somehow?) and rocks were smooth it would help the figure ground relationship a little more ..she would feel more solid as such.For example if I take a piece of paper and over the whole of it I scribble charcoal all over in random lines for texture but I take an eraser and take out a circle on the centre ie leave it white what will happen or tendency to happen is the white circle will look like looking down a rabbit hole and the texture charcoal surrounding it would look like the ground..I say this as is better to say something constructive even if you don't agree etc as is better than just saying it's great. Awesome work however.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2020, 01:39 PM
A WC! Legend
Tiger, GA

Hails from United States

Absolutely love it! And amazing to see the close ups with all the detail. Your quiet area with all the dots is value mastery!!
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2020, 08:57 PM
Immortalized
Southern Indiana

Hails from United States

Sorry this is so late in coming! I have not been paying attention.

Willow, thank you, I had to look up Selkie, I did not know what it was. She could be, but what I had in mind was a maiden that could be open to interpretation. It could be that she had the berries and is now sleeping, or they could have made her sleep. Or the crows gave them to her, but they may have stolen them from her after she fell asleep. And what about the ship? It seems she doesn't know about it going by. Many stories possible.

Thank you Tidal... to be honest, the same texure that is behind the rocks is also behind the girl, but she's just painted more carefully. The rocks were sanded on their high points of the underlying texture to give... well, texture! And yes, I think we'll have to disagree.

Thank you Carly, glad you noticed the dots. I've been playing games with dots in skies for a little while now, got tired of smooth skies with no interest. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2020, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member

Oh I done it again ! U misunderstand...to be clear (am looking very in depth at figure ground relationships at present and some reading in terms of tensions in psychological visual perception) so it was meant within a different context . It no reflection on your work it is perfect..it is just something that is bugging me in every piece of work I look at including my own at the moment ! So it is better you do not regard my comment with any weight in fact, as it was out of context.

Last edited by tidal : 03-01-2020 at 06:31 AM.