Home Forums Explore Subjects Landscapes Two Little Cottages

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Aussiesrus

Both are spontaneously rendered with a palette knife using thick textured oil paint.

”Pink Blossoms” – Oil on Canvas – 16” x 20”

”Orange Blossoms” – Oil on Canvas – 16” x 20”

C & C’s – Always Welcome – Thanks for Looking

Michael.

michaelcartwrightart.com.au
        https://bluethumb.com.au/michael-cartwright
        I'M NOT AS THINK AS YOU DRUNK I AM

Bizzibee

I can hardly believe you did them with a knife Michael: that’s amazing! I love them both. It is so clever how you have achieved the distance and the fg trees are beautifully coloured. Wonderful work!

'One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star': Friedrich Nietzsche

Arnie

Would agree with Trudy – the knife work is very different – particularly in the fg grass and the faded out mg trees in 1st. Loads of interest and depth – Very nice.
                I’m been doing some impasto oil knife work myself recently, so I appreciate the practice you’ve put in to get these – so a big well done from me Michael:thumbsup: .
                Arnie

Dcam
                    oldnmartist

Interesting effect with the knife. I would be tempted to touch up some areas with the brush.

Everything else being equal, I would rather be in the painting zone.

john

Really nice. Great marks and atmosphere colors.

Wonderful control with the knife. That orange tree against the blue-grey mountain is a real eye catcher (good) in the second. Great sense of depth in both. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

Ohiohawk97

Unbelievable knife work Michael! These are two of my favorites of yours. Those emerald mid ground trees in the first one are so good and the cottage just fits into the composition perfectly. In the second one, everything is magical to look at. Excellent job with both!

Wes

Kiffin

Nice work Michael. I am showing my age now but I remember seeing an exhibition of yours in Adelaide terrace many years ago in your whimsical style. It put a few smiles on my face!

Aussiesrus

Thanks Trudi – Whether you know it or not, you’re a skillful painter yourself using the knife. Hoping to see more of your luscious palette knife paintings in the future ?

Thanks Arnie – I use the palette knife more nowadays. Seems my technique is changing. It wasn’t consciously intended. It just happened.

Hi Derek – Thanks Mate Appreciated !

Thanks oldnmartist – I sometime combine brush & knife in an attempt to create contrasting textures – Appreciate your comments.

Thanks John – Appreciated !

Thanks Gary – I start with a brush. Once the composition, values & general color statement is approximately established. I switch to the palette knife & apply the paint, thick & textured.

Thanks Wes – Your comments have inspired me to paint more cottages in the same style. Appreciated !

Thanks Kiffin – The exhibition in Adelaide Terrace was by my older brother. I was only a kid back then lol.

Michael.

Kiffin

No wonder I am feeling old!

Bizzibee

Michael, you are too kind, but I am a million miles away from achieving your lovely works. Your comment has, however, made me determined to try the knife again. They are lying neglected covered in paint, so a cleaning job is required! After my mildly successful foray into Still Life:rolleyes: , I have now done a portrait (not sure I will have the courage to post the latter!) One thing these efforts have taught me is that I need to stick to landscapes!:lol:

'One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star': Friedrich Nietzsche

Dorrart

The distant work is really impressive especially for painting knife work. Subtle lovely colors. Nice work.

- David

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." --Picasso

Reddyman

Wow Michael these are both just fantastic pieces and both make such strong statements.
                                                        Your knifework is just stellar my friend.
                                                        Both paintings are so atmospheric and your portrayal of depth is fabulous.
                                                        Well done mate!
                                                        John

Aussiesrus

Thanks dorrart & John – Your comments are inspiring & appreciated !

Michael.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.