Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business Do prints effect the value of the original?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    colorspinner

I sell a lot of prints of my work. But there are those who believe that producing prints cheapen the original and are let the world know that.

I believe just the opposite that it can increase the value of the original by promoting the artist and making his/her work more sought after there by making the original more valuable. Would Kincaid be as well known with out any prints of his work out there? Besides, as an artist that needs to make a living prints bring in a lot of extra income.

Your thoughts?
        Prints cheapen the original
        Selling prints can make the original more valuable

painterswife

You need a 4th option.

It is only another stream on income that has no impact on original’s value.

kasunart

I used to sell repros alongside my originals in my retail studio/gallery. What I found is that sales of my originals just about doubled after I removed them. I reintroduced them during a slow time for a while last year and while I sold some alongside my originals, in the scheme of things it wasn’t worth it. Keep in mind, a lot of people who want to buy will settle on the least expensive thing. I know a lot of art festival people who stopped selling cards, and found that just as many people bought the next biggest thing up…thus spiking their overall profits.

I am prolific, and I do have smaller originals for those really on a budget, but my feeling is that the general population does not want reproductions, and enough of them actually seemed turned off when they’re offered. I’ve had people ask if I have prints for sale, and when I say “no”, they say “good”.

Now, I do think I would offer them again if I started doing really time intensive paintings which were priced above most people’s budgets. Most of my bigger work, in my impressionistic style, sells in the $1600 to $2400 range which fits into people’s comfort zones. However, if I doubled or tripled the prices, (which I would do if I tripled the time it takes to paint one) I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t sell nearly as many originals. But I might sell enough reproductions to make it worth it.

So those are my thoughts….it depends on how you handle originals.

ChristyQ

I agree with colorspinner, I think it adds to the value. Although, I think it helps promote the artist moreso… which in turn adds to the value.

Scenario:
                    Oh, what a nice print you have there.. yeah, well, I have the ORIGINAL on my wall. You may now look up to me in awe and contemplate just how much more awesome I am than you.

CSForest

Yeah, I’m not sure you can separate the last two options.

Funny, I just had someone email me the other day to let me know he found my website by using Google Goggles on a print hanging in a hotel where they were staying. That’s probably the most unusual way I’ve heard of someone finding my website. Considering the hotel didn’t have a plaque next to the picture telling everyone who the artist was, I thought that was pretty cool that he could find out all about it with the click of his iPhone. :)

But, back to the point of the thread here, it’s nice to know there are prints of my art in hotels across the country. It’s free promotion for me and that is value. But, that’s value to me. I suspect the “value” you are talking about here is whether prints increase the price-value of originals. I’d say not directly. But if prints help an artist become well-known, and being well-known increases the demand for the originals and that in turn increases the value of the artist’s originals then, yes, it does increase the value.

Crista Forest
                        My Animal Art Sites
                        [/COLOR] -- My Animal Art Gifts -- My Art Prints Page

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

falcon012

Selling prints does not affect the value of the original. They are a great way to make money and bring your art to a wider audience.

members

There needs to be an option that says “It depends!” I would imagine some artists do find making reprints, depending on what kind of reprints, could harm them. But for the most part I don’t believe it does. Perhaps the theory that it harms you is outdated, or was self serving in a time when artists usually didn’t sell privately or there was no internet or we didn’t have the reprint options we do now. I have never had a buyer express concern over it one way or another, and many buyers can’t afford original art, and will buy inexpensive reprints, usually of a small size. Some art lends itself well to products like shirts and cups, too. Many artists make more off the reprints and also licensing deals, than they do off the original. Their work is suited to it. If one’s work isn’t, then they should probably not do it.

IanBertram

I’m sure I’ve commented on this before, but my comment seems to have been eaten.

I actually don’t know the answer to your question, but I think it is actually the wrong question anyway. I would actually ask two questions.

Q1 – will I make more money selling say 25 copies (please don’t all them prints) of a painting than I can from selling the painting? The answer to that is almost certainly yes.

Q2 – do I want to be a painter or a manufacturer of decorative objects for home decor? Only you have the answer to this one.

There is a third point – you need to balance the income from selling the reproductins against the income you might make for selling paintings made in the time you would otherwise be using to prodcue the repros.

Ian
                                    Website - https://ianbertramartist.uk
                                    Instagram: - https://www.instagram.com/ianbertramuk/
                                    Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/ianbertramartist/

colorspinner

There is another issue that hasn’t been mentioned. Selling prints of a painting that has already sold. A good way to continue to generate income off a painting.

artist123

What is good for one artist my not work for another. I have one local friend that sells prints of her watercolor. I asked about originals and she said her prints were so good her customers didn’t want originals. While another local artist does Ross type oils and people don’t want the prints. While another sells both. They sell at the same location.

ChristyQ

I asked about originals and she said her prints were so good her customers didn’t want originals.

That doesn’t make sense to me. Unless she digitally alters her prints to enhance them from what the original looks like. I would understand if she said prints are within the budget of her primary clientele. Price aside, I just can’t fathom someone saying a print is better than having an original.

Greg Long

This poll lacks the It makes no difference option. Value/devalue is relative, some artists’ work is suitable, some not. Personally I don’t reproduce my work, but that is my choice, it has nothing to do with the valueing/de-valueing of work.
                                                    It would be just as relevant to ask should we paint to sell, or sell what we paint. Both are sustainable models, and it comes down to personal choice.

PopArtDawg

If I sell my paintings for xxxx dollars, and I have full scale copies available for x…

Although the copy has not devalued the price of the original (it is still worth xxxx) it has made it more difficult to sell.

I would think that copies smaller than the original would not have as great an effect on the sales of the original. However, some work really needs the scale to work (mine are a good example of this)

But, some buyers really do have space limitations, and the smaller copy may fit their needs when the original is too large.

In that case, a sale is better than a walk-away I would think.

blondheim12

I have never sold reproductions of my work and I do think it devalues original art. There is nothing special about owning a painting that has copies of it.

Linda Blondheim Art
                                                            http://www.lindablondheim.com
                                                            Blondheim Art and Stories
                                                            http://www.blondheimartandstories.com

raeburn10025

What do you think of selling prints after the original has been sold? Does the image copyright belong to the owner of the painting or does it still belong to me? I would appreciate your thoughts since I have never sold prints before. Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Do prints effect the value of the original?’ is closed to new replies.