WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2016, 01:08 PM

Re: An Invitation to Beginners in Pen and Ink

I am new in the foro. My drawings are done with bammbu cane or spatula and black ink. I used to work in studio with models with poses changed every 3 minutes. I would like to know if someone work with the same tools than me.
Sorry for my poor writing.
Tks
Alicia
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2016, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

Kathy,
Thank you for taking the time to comment.
While wiating for my car at the repair shop, I took a walk around the residential neighborhood when I came across this garage. I snapped a photo on my cell phone, and started drawing, using the tiny image on the screen as my reference. I didnt have the space available to consider vanishing points and proper perspective.
I think the issue is the roof pitch is too steep and as you noted, the angle of the eave is off.
I don't know if I can fix now.
I will chalk this up to experience and focus more on the underdrawing next time!
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2016, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

[quote=Alaljada]I am new in the foro. My drawings are done with bammbu cane or spatula and black ink. I used to work in studio with models with poses changed every 3 minutes. I would like to know if someone work with the same tools than me.
Tks
Alicia[/QUOTE
Hi Alicia, I have never used these tool, but would love to learn more and see some of your work!
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2016, 02:33 PM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaljada
I am new in the foro. My drawings are done with bammbu cane or spatula and black ink. I used to work in studio with models with poses changed every 3 minutes. I would like to know if someone work with the same tools than me.
Tks
Alicia

Hi Alicia , those tools sound really interesting ! I don't think anyone here used bamboo pens at all ! - it would be very interesting to see some of your work.
Some great artists have done wonders with similar type pens , looking forward to seeing your work.
Mike
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2016, 02:38 PM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konfuzd
I tried pen and ink many moons ago, and only completed a small handful of pieces. I decided to pick it up again as it's a medium I can work with in front of the TV. This was my first attempt at using a mix of black and sepia pens. 8x10 on Canson drawing paper. (while binge watching Brooklyn Nine Nine)

Well it's turned out very well , I do like the way you've mixed the sepia & black - I think I look into that further if I was you.
Cheers Mike
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2016, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

Thanks Mike. I will definitely use this combo again.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2016, 04:46 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Glad you posted this Konfuzd - it's a really well done drawing -the combo of sepia and black works very well.
The roof pitch does look a little awkward and certainly there are times the ridge can get lost - sometimes for the sake of the drawing taking a little artistic licence can work better!
The bottom edges of the stone walls are a little too rigidly straight - stones being 3D the base would show some variation - nit picking though!!

Alicia - welcome to the forum too - it will be good to see your work

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2016, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

Thank you! Appreciate your comment. Didn't notice the wall bases, but you areabsolutely right. I think i will practice some more and may have another go at this one.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2016, 05:39 PM

Some examples that I've done.
Attached Images

#55   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2016, 05:40 PM

Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: An Invitation to Beginners in Pen and Ink

Example 2
Attached Images

Last edited by Charlie's Mum : 06-04-2016 at 05:02 PM.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2016, 05:42 PM

Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: An Invitation to Beginners in Pen and Ink

Example 3. Got some problems uploading this one. The original one hasn't the horizontal lines.
Attached Images

Last edited by Charlie's Mum : 06-04-2016 at 05:01 PM.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2016, 06:56 PM
Lord of the Arts

Oh very nice nice examples indeed Aljada, loose, fluid & full of life.
I don't work with these tools I'm afraid but all the better ! it reminds all of us to capture the scene directly & honestly.
Your work only reminds me of the sheer breadth of pen & inks potential !
I really admire this brave approach .
Mike
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2016, 09:50 AM

Hello Mike,

Happy to know you liked my drawing. I enjoy very much doing them, the model
stay 3 minutes in the same position and I stay one minute looking carefully the position and 1 or 2 minutes drawing/painting ? with the spatula. Sometimes I have enough time for two drawings.
The best of it is that to work with the cane or with the spatule in quite dificult to control so you have two problem at the same time, first very short time to look and to draw and the second the difficul use of the spatula, so you have to draw the essential. The model stay during 3 hours with some stops so I can do many drawings.
I have been working in this kind of drawing two years. I began with it, just to avoid to draw to much but I draw with many people but I am the only one using the spatula and the cane, month of the people use the pen or carbon.
Regards

Alicia
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2016, 11:29 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Alicia

Welcome to the forum, well done figure drawings with a tricky media . Figure drawing can be such a challenge esp short poses, and 3 minutes is a short pose. But you are doing well with it.

What do you use to hold your ink, a bottle, a tray? esp curious what kind of pallet knife you are using to draw with, one of those with the pointed tip? You seem to be able to get a broad range of strokes with it.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2016, 11:34 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Konfuzd

Perspective can be very tricky to get right when you are casually drawing, been there done that , so really I think you did a good job with the structure, but it is definitely worth a 2nd look. Looking forward to seeing your next efforts.