Home Forums Explore Subjects Portraiture watercolour technique

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

I attended a workshop this week with the Australian portrait artist Cherry Hood.
    https://cherryhood.co

She teaches an interesting technique with watercolour- which is not my chosen medium- so out of my comfort zone in many ways.
    She uses a very specific method and has a different viewpoint than me about painting portraits. It was such a fun time and I had a really enjoyable day splashing (literally) around with watercolours.
    A very co-operative model sat for the photo. :angel:

watercolour on full sheet 76cm x 56cm

bethany
    moderator in figures & portraits blogs: artbybethany life-presence
    website www.bethanyart.com
    My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

hardmoney

Very well done!

Netty

So beautiful Bethany, you have really caught the watercolour vibe 😊 beautiful model too 😉

Netty ...... Beauty for ashes... The oil of joy for mourning...True Peace....
            https://www.instagram.com/nettykozlovsky/

Good work!:)

123harry

Looks good. You kept it loose and lively. Reward the model with chocolate or wine……

C&C always welcome.
                Instagram harry.hamill

So what is special about her technique? A fine portrait BTW.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Thank you, Brad!

Well, Netty, I appreciate the compliments- blushing with such praise!

Thanks, Connie!

Harry, that is what the method was- to keep the watercolours moving and softening the edges. And I vote for both- wine and chocolate!

Thanks for the interest, Doug.
                The method is to use a mix that includes a translucent white on all the shadow areas of the face using huge brushes, lots of pigment. This means that when the darks are added on top they don’t sink into the paper and they can be shaped with a clean brush.
                Very loose and I worked fast. Big areas of wash and the edges softened all the time as the washes dry. She encouraged us to use a spray bottle to produce drips and splashes. The only details with harder edges are around the eyes using smaller brushes.
                The only real issue I had was that we worked standing and leaning over a table. Very hard on my back and knees! I am used to working at an easel.

bethany
                My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

Thanks Bethany I do occasional portraits and haven’t heard of that technique.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

kevinwueste

very interesting and well done!

Kevin

i draw, paint and teach | my voice is hoarse | my shoulder hurts.
                    Talent is really a capacity for a certain type of learning of knowledge and a consuming interest in the facts that contribute to that knowledge~ Andrew Loomis
                    http://www.kevinwuesteart.blogspot.com
                    "kevinwueste" on instagram

Good to know that I can add to your knowledge, Doug!

Thanks, Kevin!

bethany

michaeljarman

I really like this!

Thank you, Michael!

bethany

ppeace

Fantastic painting! You know how to handle the paint. I thought those were oils at first.

IMHO the eyes are too sharply rendered. One of my favorite portraitists is John Singer Sargent. Check out his eyes–https://www.google.com/search?q=John+Singer+Sargent+eyes&client=firefox-b-1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi74r-hzeDbAhXcCDQIHXhXC0kQ_AUICigB&biw=1257&bih=466

One of the most instructive directions for eyes is that there’s no white of the eyes but four different modeled grey shapes with four different grey tones. The sclera help portray the three dimensional shape.

I draw eyes a lot and I find it forever fascinating how the shapes of the eyes convey emotions, desires, feelings, relationships. One fraction of a millimeter difference can portray a completely different emotion.

Since this is a watercolor, get some water and your favorite brush…and…

Don’t let paint it for you. Great work.

Thanks for the thoughtful response, ppeace.
                            I agree with some of what you have commented here.
                            Although the photo doesn’t show well here, the “whites” of the eyes are actually an ultra blue/van-dyke brown mix. It was quite a strong pigment mix when I first painted them- it has faded a lot. When the shine left that area, I painted the irises. The irises are ultra blue/brown/alizarin mix.

bethany

mburrell

Very nice Bethany best of your self portraits I’ve seen.

My acrylic gallery of past paintings more to come. https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/topic/mike-s-gallery/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.