Home Forums Explore Media Fiber Arts Stitch in Time June 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Debby

Summer is nearly here. Tho’ you wouldn’t know it from the weather and temperatures where I live. :lol: Even tho’ the calendar says it’s summer. We don’t really see summer weather until July.

Lena, the bouquet is gorgeous. I hadn’t thought about how to ship it. That’s a puzzle. Good luck with that.

I did some sewing and the wrist pain flared back up. :( I haven’t figured out a way to “skin” the leg and foot where the fabric is smooth. The one option had too many seams. The next the ankle was too tight to actually get the foot thru it. I have another couple of ideas, but can’t try them until the wrist calms down again. *sigh*

Today I will rest the wrist because it’s our anniversary and we are going out to the city to do some shopping and go out to dinner. :heart:

Debby
        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Thanks Debbi. I found a box that fit it perfectly and fit into the flat rate shipping box so they all went off this morning.

When you make the skin, don’t sew up the narrow ankle part. Do that after it is on with a slip stitch.

The heat is on here too. It has been raining and dropping down to just above freezing. We cover all the new plants at night. Sigh.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, thanks, I figured that was probably the way to go, sewing the ankle part last with a hidden stitch. Need to find that narrow band of sewing but not too much sewing to keep my wrist happy.

Yesterday was lovely. Today is chores before DH starts his work week. I hope that’s enough rest that I can get back to sewing tomorrow.

Debby
                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Hi All!:wave:

Well, it is official. I will be a vendor at the Dicken’s Christmas Fair in San Francisco. 6 weekends in November – December. Demonstration spinning, and hopefully selling my handspun and small art quilts. This is madness, but I am excited to do it. This is an event I have attended for a good number of years now, and have really thought would benefit from spinning. As it is as close to a reenactment event as one can do with the public buying tickets to attend, I will be there in 1850’s era hoop skirt, bonnet and – gasp – yes, a proper corset!:lol: Biggest challenge each year is my super short hair, but I guess that is what day caps and bonnets are for.

In case you are curious here is the website https://dickensfair.com/

Hope all is well – looking forward to seeing updates on your projects.

Jen

Jennifer Landau
                Proud to be published in Art Quilting Studio magazine and educating about wool at The Great Dickens Christmas Fair.

Debby

Jen, that’s awesome. I went to the Dicken’s Christmas Fair a couple of times when I lived in California. I have to say that it was amusing to see people in 1850’s attire after seeing them in Elizabethan attire at the Ren fair earlier in the year. Good luck with your vending.

I have toes! No, not just discovering my toes. The doll experiments have toes. They are so cute. Oh yeah, I’m supposed to get pictures of these things. I’ll work on that.

Debby
                    Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Toes!~ what fun….

Jennifer Landau
                    Proud to be published in Art Quilting Studio magazine and educating about wool at The Great Dickens Christmas Fair.

Lena

The wedding bouquet got sent off on Friday. So I am tracking it across the country!

I started a pair of lacy socks for myself. Using the turquoise of the Egyptian socks because I have 6 3/4 balls of it….. 1.25(?) mm needles. The ones that look like pretzels after a few rows and have to be bent back into shape. I will try and get some pics up soon.

Yesterday we got the new furnace and air conditioning unit installed. Luckily it was a cool dry day so we had the windows open all day to remove the stink from the glues and the welding.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, yay for getting the bouquet shipped. Boo for stinky construction. But it’ll be nice to have climate control. Looking forward to seeing the socks.

Working on hand construction options for the doll. So far not satisfied. I’ll keep working.

Debby
                            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Laughing at the phrase “the ones looking like pretzels”. yes, I see how my smaller needles bend, no matter what they are made of,:lol:

Stopped by the county fair today. Two ribbons! Yet let’s be honest. My skeins are 1st out of, hmm, 5 entries, and the sweater 2nd out of 4! There are a handful of us submitting to keep the category alive. I may have to twist some arms next year at the spinning guild to get more entries.

Some tell me that they do not enter quilts, spinning, knitting etc because they don’t like being judged. I like the feedback myself. But most of all I like keeping the heritage of handwork alive in the public eye. Sigh. :heart:

Jen

Jennifer Landau

Debby

Jen, congrats on the wins. Even in a small category it’s nice to be acknowledged.

Working on doll experiments. It’s, well, it’s going. I’m trying to create an under-body in felt so that the stuffing ends up being smoother than just stuffing into knit. However, I failed to take into account that the knit stretched. When I used the same pattern to make felt pieces, they were a lot smaller. :rolleyes: I will start again. :lol:

Debby
                                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Congratulations Jen!

I finished the socks, they now need to be washed & dried in the dyer in order to shrink them. Then I will take pictures.

The weather here the last 4 days was horrendous. On Saturday we were under a watch for severe thunderstorms with hail & the possibility of tornadoes. Luckily the weather fronts met just 100 kmh east of here and we were safe. Then on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday it rained with winds gusting up to 80 kph. There was lots of damage to trees and some highrises lost windows which took out other building windows. We basically hunkered down and did nothing until late Tuesday.

I started knitting a shawl but I was having a lot of vertigo and the constant noise of the wind was very disorienting and I totally messed up the pattern so I had to frog most of it.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby, the underbody in felt is a masterful idea! Let me know how it works – or have you done this before? I know what you mean about how the body can be lumpy after stuffing.

Ugh, Lena, vertigo. How disorienting.

finally made it to the plant nursery for new blooms to put out my attic studio window. Been rather late this year, getting fresh flowers going. Not being able to have a real garden, plants in pots is one of my small pleasures. The lavender had become so root bound that no matter how much water it got, it just was not thriving. So I gave in, and got fresh plants. They will last another 5 years or so I suspect. Perhaps I can pull them out, trim the roots and repot next time.

Jen

Jennifer Landau

Debby

Lena, that weather sounds terrible. Sorry about your vertigo and the wind noises. That sounds very disorienting. Hope you can sort out the shawl pattern.

Jen, the idea of a felt underbody is something new. I spent the first 3 months of the year experimenting with making pressed felt faces for the doll. But, when I stuffed it, it lost it’s shape. I then created a head out of felt with 4 seams to get a decent nose. (All this in pursuit of avoiding needle felting which kills my chronic tendonitis in my wrists.) Once I made the felt head, I covered it in the cotton knit. It came out great. Lena had some great suggestions for bringing more detail into the face and I’m really pleased with the result. That led to me thinking I might be able to smooth out and better define the rest of the doll by creating all the parts in felt first. So the experimenting continues. I had a root bound aloe plant that had turned into a monster. I ended up taking it to a local nursery and paying them to deal with it. They created 10 potted plants from the original. I kept one and gave the rest away.

Yesterday’s version of the doll torso ended up being not only too large around but with a square bottom. :rolleyes: Not sure how adding 1/2 inch to the diameter ended up being over an inch too big. I know how I ended up with the square bottom using darts. I’ll be revisiting the torso pattern again today.

Debby
                                        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Perhaps I can pull them out, trim the roots and repot next time.

Yes, Jen you can do that. You also have to trim the plant. My ex used to do Bonsai and that is how she did it. She was a social worker and she said it have her great pleasure and satisfaction to chop roots and bend the plants into contorted shapes.

Doll Art by Lena

Lena

The daughter loved the bouquet but wants some burgundy flowers in the mix. Some I will have to make some more. I am thinking of bergamot.

This is a picture of Luc’s leg.

Doll Art by Lena

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.