WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2011, 12:22 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Re: Supplies while sketching/journaling

I whipped up my first little duct tape sketch kit. It's not working exactly as I want, but I'll work with it for a while and design a new and better one later;

Sorry, I didn't take any in process photos. I started with a 6" X 7" piece of black 3/16" foam core. I made loops out of duct tape to restrain the sketching tools but first forming a length of tape adhesive side out into a loop then applying more tape adhesive side to adhesive side. Rather than make a loop for each item I grouped them. The first loop has a 0.5 and 0.9 Twist-Erase mechnical pencils. The 2nd loop has four clutch pencils equipped with various leads, (H, HB, 2B and 4B). The 3rd loop as a Tuff Stuff Eraser Stick and a regular plastic eraser holder and the last loop has a sand paper sharpening pad. After making the loops I taped them them to the foam core. Then I made a pouch at the bottom of the foam core to restrain and protect the ends of the tools. To make the pouch I cut a piece of tape just a little longer than the width of the foam core. Then I cut a longer piece of tape and applied it to the first adhesive side to adhesive side leaving just an inch or so on each side of exposed adhesive so then I could tape it to the foam core. I made a flap out of lightweight cardboard and covered it with duct tape while attached it to the foam core with duct tape. I then used stick backed Velcro to use as a "latch" for the flap. I hope that all made sense.

I guess I'm a little OCD when it comes to the portable sketching setup as well. Those big bags stuffed full with sketching supplies would be my worst nightmare!

David
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2011, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

jan, i love that setup of yours, very similar to mine except for the great bag you have....PackRat Organizer, made by Spec-Ops....i cant get one similar to that here (Australia), maybe another aussie might have an idea of where to get something similar.
great seeing everyone;s gear!!!!
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2011, 01:46 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarales
Great idea to attach your sketch book to a piece of foam core. I think I'm going to borrow that one!

Ditto!! Idea of the Week!
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2011, 09:48 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by the drover's dog
Jamie, I thought I was bad enough at carting around the kitchen sink, but you win the blue ribbon. Sheesh! Spare pair of reading glasses? I didn't think of that one.

What does the dinky little bottle brush clean? Never seen one like that.

Dale

LOL, Dale! I'm a plein air painter, so I know what I need to be comfortable out in the field!

The little brush was recommended to me a long time ago by folks in the Watercolor forum --- used to scrub out color when disaster strikes. It comes apart and the brush part sets into the little handle/holder.

For those who like the idea of the foamcore piece to clip behind a stitch-bound book to keep it open, just keep in mind that if you do that, your sketching bag needs to be at least twice the width of your sketchbook. So, if you use a 6x9" portrait orientation book, the foamcore needs to be 12" wide. That's why I like this wide bag. I don't like being restricted to small size drawings. Sketching across a two page spread enables me to get twice the space out of a smaller book. The foamcore does help a lot to alleviate the deep gutter issue in many stitchbound hardcover books.

David, foamcore kits are amazing for outdoor work. Have you seen my foamcore pochade boxes? I made two out of foamcore, glue, and duct tape (Guerrilla tape works best), and am now constructing out of coroplast instead --- highly recommended since it's totally waterproof and nearly indestructible!

This is my second foamcore box, for oils or acrylics. It weighs nothing and fits in my backpack. I think it could be useful for multi-media sketching too, and the box itself could hold the sketching implements. In this case, that's a piece of linen affixed to the inside of the lid, for figure sketching in acrylics.

I started making a version like this out of the coroplast, but it's not finished yet.

Debby, I will measure that bag for you later today.

A few of you asked about how I secure that little cup to my watercolor palette. It's just a palette cup for oil painting, and comes with a clip affixed to it: http://www.aswexpress.com/discount-a...lette-cup.html

Jamie

Last edited by JamieWG : 04-22-2011 at 10:26 AM.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2011, 11:52 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States

This is a great thread! I LOVE seeing other's kits. You get so many good ideas by just looking! Thanks to everyone for posting.

David, you asked about my watercolor kit. It's just about exactly like Jamie's. (Here is a similar one.) Pic is below. (Top pic shows it closed, bottom opened.) It's about 2-3/4" x 4-3/4" closed. The brushes are (a) sawed off to fit in the slot and, (b) the nether ends run through a pencil sharpener to get a wooden point on them, which is handy as an extra nib when you want to get down a very precise line of wc paint, or if you just want to use it dry, to scratch up a wet/washy area. I got that tip from Cathy Johnson. Good stuff on her sketchers' blog.

I also have, in that kit, a 1-oz. Nalgene wide-mouth jar that I use for rinse water for the wc paint, when I am using the regular brushes. (And not the waterbrushes, which are what I usually use.) The cap is good for rinse water too, since it's pretty big. Relatively speaking.

No, Rainy, the Lamys and the Pilot Parallels have never leaked. (Knock on wood!) Never any problem with any of those, even when rattling around in my everyday backpack. (On the other hand, I just made a Pilot Plumix into an eyedropper and I don't trust that one at all, no siree. That one will not be going anywhere Ziploc-less, I can tell you. )

No, David, I don't know of any ink specifically that washes once and then sets up permanently. But am happy to hear that the Stabilo 88 does! If you want a fountain pen, am willing to bet that some of the Noodler's so-called "bullet-proof" inks might behave like that (if you wash the lines before they dry). But you'd have to experiment with samples to be sure. Jamie? Rainy? Have you observed this behavior in any of the inks you like?

Anyway --- my fav pic by far in this thread is this one of Jamie's:

Excellent! With the labels! Perfect! (I assume these are all eyedropper Preppys, right?) Outstanding and inspirational array. Bravo to Jamie!

Jan
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2011, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Could someone elaborate on how to make the Preppy into an eyedropper? Do you just take the refill out and fill the chamber?

Thanks!
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2011, 12:26 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

*Blushing* Thanks so much, Jan. My hubby has a little label maker. I always wondered what that thing would ever be good for and now I know! He's had to refill the tape twice since I started using it. LOL.

These pens are not all eyedropper conversions. The one at the top, that says "Damson", is a purple Pilot V Razor Point Extra Fine that ran out of ink. I did the vacuum refill technique with it using the Diamine Damson ink (also purple) and it worked spectacularly well. If anybody needs me to explain how to do that, just let me know. It doesn't even involve taking the pen apart!

Some of those other Preppys are eyedropper conversions. A couple have Platinum converters, and a couple are refilled cartridges. The three pens in front (Red, Blue and Black) are Lamy Safaris, which I love for the ease of the interchangeable nibs and smooth writing. I use those more for inks that will stay in them for awhile, as opposed to ones I am experimenting with.

Jan, what makes you nervous about the eyedropper conversion of the Plumix? I was thinking about converting my Pilot Parallels, since calligraphy pens can go through ink so fast when practicing. Did you use an O ring and silicone grease to enhance the seal?

I like your tip about sharpening a point onto the end of the brush. I like using the extra space in that watercolor set for additional half pans, but for the cut off brushes that I use in my oil painting pochade boxes, that will be a very handy tip indeed!

To Debby: My bag measures 12x16".

Jamie

Last edited by JamieWG : 04-22-2011 at 12:42 PM.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2011, 12:38 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain24
Could someone elaborate on how to make the Preppy into an eyedropper? Do you just take the refill out and fill the chamber?

Thanks!

Here is Brian Goulet's video about how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWLfr7TkRFU
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Re: Supplies while sketching/journaling - version 2

Thanks, Jamie! I had somehow forgotten about o-rings and silicone grease. This is great!

Also, is Poussiere de Lune permanent or can you do washes with it? I love that color. Planning on getting some of that and Caran d'Ache Saffron because it is SO pretty.

I have a feeling I'm going to get stuck on Brian's website.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2011, 01:12 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Thanks Jamie. I've been thinking about making a messenger style bag for out and about sketching, but all the patterns I've run across are, well odd sizes. That one looked just right. I may be able to do something with that size in mind.

Great ideas with foam core and duct tape.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Here's my pared-down art bag. I can go out of the house with this and nothing else and be happy for the day.

Details:
Small Moleskine
Handmade sketchbook
Pencil
Pigma Microns
Brush Pens
Waterbrush
Watercolor Kit
Papertowels

The coin purse holds my cards and ID and the case behind it has my pills.

How it all fits inside the bag.

It's small, I can actually fit it over my shoulder like a tiny little handbag or toss it into a larger bag and know I have the essentials.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2011, 03:18 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

Hello. . . those are all some rally neat kits and set ups. Some of you are very prepared with all the things you have! Impressive.

Jamie, I also love how you have labeled your pens with the ink inside. I often forget and have to figure out what ink is in what pen by testing.

Regarding the Stabilo 88, I did a test with mine and they do rewet in most colors. The black actually does not rewet as much as some of the others like brown, purple, reds. I don't have a camera right now but will take a pict when I can. Don't get me wrong, they are great pens, but don't want someone to be disappointed if they buy them thinking they don't re-wet. I have the pen parade set as well as a set of 8 that I'd had for a while.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2011, 04:08 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainySea
Regarding the Stabilo 88, I did a test with mine and they do rewet in most colors. The black actually does not rewet as much as some of the others like brown, purple, reds. I don't have a camera right now but will take a pict when I can. Don't get me wrong, they are great pens, but don't want someone to be disappointed if they buy them thinking they don't re-wet. I have the pen parade set as well as a set of 8 that I'd had for a while.

Good to know, I only tested the black because that's all I'm really interested in, I'd rather use watercolor to add color, so that's where it's nice to have the black not re-wet.

David
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2011, 07:19 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieWG
*Blushing* Thanks so much, Jan. My hubby has a little label maker. I always wondered what that thing would ever be good for and now I know! He's had to refill the tape twice since I started using it. LOL.

These pens are not all eyedropper conversions. The one at the top, that says "Damson", is a purple Pilot V Razor Point Extra Fine that ran out of ink. I did the vacuum refill technique with it using the Diamine Damson ink (also purple) and it worked spectacularly well. If anybody needs me to explain how to do that, just let me know. It doesn't even involve taking the pen apart!

Some of those other Preppys are eyedropper conversions. A couple have Platinum converters, and a couple are refilled cartridges. The three pens in front (Red, Blue and Black) are Lamy Safaris, which I love for the ease of the interchangeable nibs and smooth writing. I use those more for inks that will stay in them for awhile, as opposed to ones I am experimenting with.

Jan, what makes you nervous about the eyedropper conversion of the Plumix? I was thinking about converting my Pilot Parallels, since calligraphy pens can go through ink so fast when practicing. Did you use an O ring and silicone grease to enhance the seal?

I like your tip about sharpening a point onto the end of the brush. I like using the extra space in that watercolor set for additional half pans, but for the cut off brushes that I use in my oil painting pochade boxes, that will be a very handy tip indeed!

To Debby: My bag measures 12x16".

Jamie

Jamie,

Where do you get your fountain pens and ink? I've been looking into the Lamy for awhile but I haven't found a good place to get one. They are really expensive where I live and I would prefer to order them online...from the states, uk, or somewhere else.

Could you recommend a good pen/nib to start with? I do a lot of drawing and I would also like a good ink that I can use with pen and wash techniques.

Also you talked about a vacuum refill technique. I'd love to see that too.

Zenica
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2011, 07:53 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain24
Thanks, Jamie! I had somehow forgotten about o-rings and silicone grease. This is great!

Also, is Poussiere de Lune permanent or can you do washes with it? I love that color. Planning on getting some of that and Caran d'Ache Saffron because it is SO pretty.

I have a feeling I'm going to get stuck on Brian's website.

Rain, the Poussiere de Lune ink does wash, though not quite as much as the Diamine Damson. I got samples of those two plus Caran d'Ache Storm to try to determine my favorite muted violet. I think I like Poussiere de Lune the best, but they are all gorgeous. I haven't tried the Saffron. Be sure to show us some samples of it. LOL about "getting stuck on Brian's website". Yeah, been there!

Zeneca, I've bought my pens from different sources, and honestly they have all been good. I've used JetPens, Pear Tree Pens, Goulet and others. Prices on the Lamy pens did recently go up, so it will be nearly impossible to get one for less than $30 soon. Remember to get a converter with it too. Nib size is really all about personal choice. I've tried EF, M and B and like them all. I'm going to try the 1.1mm when I get another Lamy. (Notice how I didn't say "if". LOL)

Debby, if you make a nice large bag, I hope you'll show us! One of the things I love about this one is that the bag itself is very light. Sometimes you see these bags and they weigh two or three pounds before you even put anything inside them!

Here's how to do the Vacuum Refill on a Pilot or other fountain pen/felt tip pen that cannot be taken apart. (I looked for an online video but couldn't find one.) Put a cup of water into the microwave and heat till boiling. While that's happening, remove the cap from your empty pen. Shake and open the ink you plan to use for the refill. Remove boiling cup of water from microwave and set your pen into the hot water, tip side up (so the tip is not in the water), for 30 seconds or so. This heats the air in the chamber, causing it to expand. Remove the pen from the water, turn it over, and quickly immerse the tip section into the ink for 30 seconds. As the chamber cools, a vacuum is created, and it sucks the ink up into the chamber to fill the void. Repeat two more times, and you should be able to get the ink 3/4 full in the chamber. I'll try to get some photos next time I do it. Hope this is clear.

Jamie