Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tidal

As I understand it cranuba and dammar can be bonded by blow torch between layers.My mix is carnuba and linseed oil am thinking made massive mistake and have made a batch of this stuff ! wanted to layer it to get more depth but reading on line it says you cant get layers to bond with carnuba you are just taking previous layer of each time you apply a new one. What to do? if I now make carnuba and dammar mix instead of using the linseed oil can this go over the top of the carnuba and linseed? can these waxes have a varnish over them?

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

No clue, tidal, sorry!

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

La_

I’m an infant of knowledge on the ins and outs of encaustic medium mixes, but found this flickr group[/URL] that might help you … one person noted using linseed oil for effects (unspecified) … another mentioned dabbing off excess oil … another mentioned carnuba being as hard as concrete … and google dictates it’s most often used, and layered, as car wax

good luck, let us know what you figure out … :)

la

CarlyHardy

No idea how to answer, but I can say I’ve never seen encaustics with a varnish. Wax has a glow in and of itself.

tidal

Ditto could not find a definitive answer about it. In general encaustics the bonding is by blow torch.But when it comes to using it with oil paint cold I have seen you tube videos of this but it is not layering of it but tends to be one layer and mixing in different colors due to it’s softness and malleability ( a bit like wet on wet) Carnuba does go very hard and is a good top final layer and can be used some prefer instead of a varnish.It would seem staright up pure (bees or carnuba )wax and pigment/oil cold are not good for layering due to bonding of each layer (did try to sand inbetween for tooth for next layer but it just remove the wax as is such a fine layer) It seems best suited for last final layers.Unless I have it wrong be great if someone could impart more info on this.Am looking at adding around 30% wax to oil etc as this can be layered I think

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

contumacious

I would test the adhesion first, to the surface and the layers too each other. A rigid support like wood or tempered hardboard is recommended rather than canvas or a paper product.

Do some layering on a piece of cardboard, then bend it in a curved shape it and see what happens. If it stays stuck to the surface and your layers don’t pop off then you are probably OK. If you have enough oil in it, you may not need to fuse it with heat between layers. Be cautious using a flame with Damar Varnish – the Turpentine in there can give of toxic fumes when heated. If there is enough of it in there, the oil in the mixture will bond with the oil in the previous layer just like oil paint. If it is too brittle and cracks off easily try adding a bit of beeswax to the mix until you still get the look you want but have a more flexible material. If you don’t want to use heat, you can increase bonding with more oil, but it can take a long time to dry.

Some questions if you are still paying attention to this thread:

[*]Are you using the mix as a cold wax paint, encaustic paint or a varnish / sealer?
                          [*]How did you mix the oil in with the Damar?
                          [*]Did you use Damar crystals or Damar Varnish?
                          [*]What is the ratio of Damer / Carnauba and Oil?
                          [*]Are you adding pigment to it?
                      Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.