Home Forums Explore Media Clay Clay as pocket token?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    HealingDoodle

I’m thinking of making pocket tokens/coins or wallet cards with words and designs on them. So they will be handled a lot.

I don’t want to use metal and I’ve been trying out wood. But it seems that clay might be the best alternative.

I watched a woman use nails, pins, etc., to draw in the polymer clay. Then she painted it with acrylic. It looked great! But then, I saw people make stamps with the clay and then stamp the clay disc.

It would be around 1/8″ thick and 1.75″ diameter as a coin. Or 2″x3″ for wallet card.

What your thoughts are about using clay for this type of product and which type of clay would be best? I wouldn’t be caning or sculpting at this point. Just stamping or etching detailed designs and words into the clay and coloring it.

And is there an air-dried clay that would work as well? Polymer clay seems so expensive with the accessories you need. What about porcelein clay.

Thanks so much for your help.

Susan

Bobbi Ross

I work a little bit with clay.
            I use paper clay and Sculpey. I think there is Fimo and Sculpey mainly where I live. I think that the paper clay would be too delicate. It’s not delicate, per se but for what you want to do it might not work.
            The Sculpey is pretty tough from what I’ve seen.
            I think your coins would work.
            It’s not that difficult to use.
            You can use your home oven. ( depending on where you live etc. roommates, having an oven available )
            I’m thinking as I might do a little more with Sculpey, in just investing in a dedicated baking dish. It will be something from the second hand store, glass I think is what is recommended.
            By porcelain do you mean La Doll or Premier? Those seem expensive to me.
            I think they are pretty durable, I’ve done flower petals for mixed media type 3D art with that and Paperclay.
            Premier and LaDoll it seems dry while I’m working with it. So you have to work fast😮
            Sculpey stays soft forever. I have some that is almost 20 years old and it’s still useable.

HealingDoodle

Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate it. I’m going to try ACTIVA Plus Natural Self-Hardening Clay first as it is very inexpensive and I can see overall if I like using clay. Then, I may try the Sculpey, which I keep seeing is a great option.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.