WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2019, 12:42 AM
Monterey, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Sandra's exploring media sketchbook

Here is a sketch I did this week.

Today while on a walk I started a sketch of a flower. I'll finish it today and will try to upload it tomorrow.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2019, 05:45 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

I think that doing dry media for a while is enough to concentrate on. Just keep practicing!
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2019, 02:32 AM
Monterey, CA

Hails from United States

Thank you Joan. I feel that way too. Plus it gives me a chance to rely get the fundamentals down.

Here is the finished sketch of the flower I started a while back.

Today we went to Point Lobos and one of the sketches I did there was part of a poison oak stem. It is on the bottom of the flower page. Both of these were done in the Canson sketchbook with Caran D'ache Classicolor watercolor pencils (though I used them dry).

One of the things I wanted to try was using watercolor pencils dry for a plein air drawing/painting. Here is my attempt at it:

I am liking how it turned out and it didn't take too much longer than a similar size watercolor would have.

C&C are welcome and appreciated.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2019, 01:01 AM
Monterey, CA

Hails from United States

Gosh, just today I realized that I'm so behind on posting my sketches. So here they are.

One time on a walk I saw this group of flowers and just had to sketch them.

This was done in the Stillman and Birn Alpha with Caran D'ache Classicolor watercolor pencils.

This is a sketch I did at the beginning of June while waiting for the bus.

Still the Stillman and Birn Alpha sketchbook, this time using Staedler Mars Lumograph graphite pencils.

Near my work we have this series of pots with some plants growing out of one of them.

This was about a 20-minute sketch in Stillman and Birn Alpha sketchbook using Staedler Mars Lumograph graphite pencils.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2019, 01:19 AM
Monterey, CA

Hails from United States

This month I was able to go to a Field Sketching Wildflowers workshop in Garland Ranch park. One of the flowers I sketched there was a flower that the instructor thought was Christmas Cactus.

This was done in my Canson sketchbook with Staedler Mars Lumograph graphite pencils. The petal on this page was from a daisy-like flower.

Seeing the improvement in these sketches led me to continue using graphite for now. Last week I focused mainly on trees and leaves in my sketches.

This was a tree near my work. I used Stillman and Birn Alpha sketchbook and Staedler Mars Lumograph pencils for this one. The possible smears at the bottom of the page are from the pots sketch.

Then, while waiting for the bus one day I sketched a tree and some leaves.

This is again Stillman and Birn Alpha and Staedler Mars Lumograph pencils.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2019, 01:21 AM
Monterey, CA

Hails from United States

Here is a sketch I did last week while waiting for a ride.

I was getting close to finishing the Stillman and Birn Alpha sketchbook (had about twenty sheets left in it), so decided to continue working in this one. I was using Staedler Mars Lumograph graphite pencils for this sketch.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2019, 09:06 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Good to see you back, Sandra, with sketches I like all the foliage studies you have made
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2019, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Great to see lots of sketches done from life... little encounters and moments, etc... you are certainly on the right path.

Sketch-Blog
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2019, 07:54 PM
Monterey, CA

Hails from United States

EP and Munin, thank you both.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2019, 01:27 AM
Monterey, CA

Hails from United States

A few weeks I bought carnation flowers and one day decided to sketch them. Here is the sketch, done in the Stillman and Birn Alpha with old formula Derwent Watercolor pencils.

All the times I tried using watercolor pencils in the Stillman and Birn Alpha sketchbook, I found that once I wet the pencils, I'm not able to add more layers, even after the paper dries. I don't think the sketchbook is defective since I bought at our local art store, whose owner is an artist herself.

Last weekend I wanted to try sketching the sunset, since colors around sunset are some of my favorite hues. I went out to Lover's Point in Pacific Grove during the Golden Hour.

This was about a thirty minute sketch, done using old formula Derwent Watercolor pencils in the Stillman and Birn Alpha sketchbook.

This week while waiting for the bus I did more foliage studies using Staedler Mars Lumograph pencils in Stillman and Birn Alpha sketchbook.

The sketch of palm tree trunk was done on the bus.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2019, 01:42 AM
Monterey, CA

Hails from United States

Another quick sketch while waiting for the bus.

I used Staedler Mars Lumograph graphite pencils and Stillman & Birn Alpha sketchbook for this sketch.

With my Staedler Mars Lumograph HB pencil being a 3-inch stub, I was able to try Tombow Mono HB and Caran D'ache Grafwood HB graphite pencils I got last weekend.

This sketch was done using only Tombow Mono HB graphite pencil. I was still using Stillman & Birn Alpha sketchbook.

Today I sketched a manikin I got for my birthday years ago, using Tombow Mono HB graphite pencil and Stillman & Birn Alpha sketchbook.

While drawing with the Tombow Mono HB graphite pencil, I felt it being softer than Staedler Mars Lumograph HB graphite pencil and on the Tombow Mono HB graphite pencil the point dulled quite a bit with just two small sketches (the sketchbook is A5 in size).

I have a hunch that with Tombows the HB is more like 2B or even 3B Staedler Mars Lumograph. It feels like Tombow Mono HB is softer than Staedler Mars Lumograph HB. Can anyone confirm whether Tombow Mono is softer than the corresponding grade in other graphite pencils?
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2019, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
UK

Hails from United Kingdom

What a great manikin sketch! I've never tried Tombow Mono pencils, but I'm an old diehard for their eraser in a card sleeve.

Sketch-Blog
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2019, 01:35 AM
Monterey, CA

Hails from United States

Munin, thank you.

Here are some of my sketches from the past week.

In the July 5th, I tried using Staedler Mars Lumograph HB pencil for the most part of the sketch and then used Tombow Mono HB for shading and it felt like Staedler Mars Lumograph 2B in comparison to Staedler Mars Lumograph HB. Both were done in the Stillman & Birn Alpha sketchbook.
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2019, 11:08 PM
Monterey, CA

Hails from United States

This summer I've been trying to finish an online class I started taking a while back. In July I was able to do little sketches most days, but didn't have a lot of time to post. I'm posting the best sketches from the end of July and early August.

Both of these were done in the Stillman & Birn Alpha sketchbook with Tombow Mono 100 HB and Staedler Mars Lumograph HB and possibly 2B pencils.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2019, 11:23 AM
On my den 🐺

Hails from United States

Following this thread! I started last night mine from my Observational Sketchbook. I push myself to draw anything near to me, applying the fundamentals to improve my drawing skills.

The coffee mug tempted me to go for another cup of coffee. I will sketch it while I sip it .