WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Watercolor Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States
Seeking advice

Half sheet size (twice as large as I'm accustomed to) using mostly Daniel Smith watercolors. I'm wondering if I've dulled the flowers down a little too much. Please also feel free to comment on any other errors that I may have overlooked. I appreciate your suggestions.
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Lord of the Arts
Maui

Hails from United States
Re: Seeking advice

Wow this is very nice. I don't think the flowers are too dull. The light on the field is excellent, I am a little unsure of the 2 trees though I don't know what I would do about it.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2008, 06:45 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

I was going to suggest a shadow from the figure, but I'm puzzled by the juxtaposition of the flowers and what appears to be someone wearing a sou'wester

Doug
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2008, 08:47 AM
WC! Guide
Michigan

Hails from United States

Great advice you've been given. I think the foreground flowers need to be darker. Beautiful painting and wonderful sense of depth! It appears to be a gray, dull, misty day.

Painting should be a happy experience, not a pressured activity. No artist can paint a masterpiece every time he paints.” ~Lian Quan Zhen -
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2008, 09:43 AM
A Local Legend

Like Doug, I'm a bit confused too. I think it would be stronger without the mountains, the trees, the house, and that bit of hat showing on her left head area.

I'd like to see a bit more oomph too, like a bit darker value on the pants, which would brighten the slicker. So much yellow cries for purple. Darla has suggested darker foreground flowers, and I suggest purple--like it's a field of lavender.

Isn't it fun to do something of this magnitude?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2008, 09:50 AM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Ok... I'm going to assume that your little girl went out for a walk during or just after it rained... hence, the lack of shadows due to the cloudy sky... I think that your sky does look as though it's *clearing*....

So... your distant flowers and hills are correct in value... you definitely need to punch up your foreground and increase your midground a little...

As Fookie has suggested, those purples in the foreground, surrounding the yellow slicker need to shout PURPLE at me... the visual complement will make your little rain girl the focus, just as she should be.

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2008, 10:51 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Seattle

Hails from Italy

This painting is from the pacific northwest, where the raincoat is pretty much expected in the fields where flowers are grown because it's probably wet and muddy. and there are no shadows!! and the mountains ARE part of the normal view.

The trees ought to be darker, and I'd like to see not such a sharp border between the flowers and the ground... maybe some dark spots, mix it up.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your points of view. Originally, I was going for purple flowers but after varying the color and adding splashes of green for spots of foliage, I really dulled it down. I'll go over most of them again and *hope* that I can punch them up both in color and value. This was a very challenging subject for me because of the lack of deep shadows to work with. As mimitabby pointed out, this IS the pacific northwest.

I had intentionally washed out the color in the trees to push them back but maybe I overdid that. Now that you pointed it out, they do appear to be in an isolated fog.<g> mimitabby is absolutely correct about the spots of dark. In fact I've been trying to do that but I haven't found a way to do that in the same loose way as the flowers and still give the impression of those long triangular leaves. I'm still struggling with that part of the painting.

Yorky, You'll wish that you had your own sou'wester if one day you have an occasion to come see our tulip fields in bloom. <g>
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Enthusiast
Washintgon (the state)

Hails from United States

Quote:
This painting is from the pacific northwest, where the raincoat is pretty much expected in the fields where flowers are grown because it's probably wet and muddy. and there are no shadows!! and the mountains ARE part of the normal view.
Yes, I knew it was from PNW even before I looked at your location! I agree about punching up the foreground flowers a bit

Enjoy my contributions to RIL here http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...0&ppuser=61016
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2008, 05:29 AM
Oakwood, Ohio, near Dayton.

Hails from United States

I like the composition and the misty look of the distant flowers, trees, and mountain with the grayish sky.

I think it would add more oomph to the painting if you punch up the colors in the foreground a little more around the girl.

Show us the revised one if you do.

Sylvia
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2008, 09:36 AM
A WC! Legend
Wallaceburg,Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Everyone has said pretty much what I wanted to say! I'm just a bit confused about the hat...the one part kind of behind her face on the right?

Patty
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Lord of the Arts
Maui

Hails from United States

I think the composition of this is weak. As I said before you have the light on the field very nicely done, your girl is very well proportioned, the mtns have good color in them but the mtns and trees are on the right side pulling the balance off plus the row lead our eye right into that area. I wonder if you redid this and use the girl as the COI by setting her deeper into the trough of flowers, highlighting the color around her, eliminating trees, turn her head the other direction opposite the mtn? Lighten the green in the row as you go down.

I hope this does not discourage you, you are almost there on this one
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2008, 02:49 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Puyallup, Wa.

Hails from United States

I thought it was Lavender .....and I definately found the painting familiar. Before I realized it you are actually from PNW...I thought this looked like Sequim, Washington, known for it's Lavender fields.

Here is a link to a virtual photo tour for those who are not familiar with the beauty of the Pacific Northwest.

http://www.visitsun.com/purplehazemovie.html

Now for your painting....I took some liberties in my regular Windows Paint program...it's all I've got I too find the little opposing side brim of the hat distracting...but thats it. I added in a few specs of color close to the viewer to get a feel for the suggestion everyone is making about adding darks in the foreground, and I like that idea too. Overall, lovely painting!

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2008, 04:54 PM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

it is so beautiful- I would love to see the flowers brighter...