Home Forums Explore Media Glass Art Let’s Talk Glass Technical Forum air bubbles in fused glass

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    busybee

I am just beginning to fuse glass jewelry. I’m learning on my own with books and videos. About 85% of the items that I have fired so far have turned out great. However, when I try to sandwich 3 or 4 small pieces between two clear pieces, I often get a bubble or two. How can I avoid getting the bubbles and is there a way to get rid of the bubbles in the pieces that have already been fired?

lwdstk66

Fire them SLOWLY the longer the rise the more time the bubbles have to come up and out.

MiniLady

I have been told to watch out for two things: (1) what type of glue you are using and (2) type of fire paper. If you are using Elmer’s glue (which you can use) to “hold” some of the glass, you need to be sure not to use too much of it and it has been suggested to water it down. I have also been told that some of the new thin fire paper by Bullseye is causing bubbles. Not sure if you can get rid of what you have but I find that if they fall in the right place, they can add to your piece.

glassfreek

also the texture of the glass you use can trap bubs like if you use a ripple on the bottom with flat clear on top your gona getum.

mike

chuckie

Here’s a thread that discusses fusing issues, including reducing bubbles between layers:

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150531

Char

May inspiration fill your heart and hands, run down your legs onto your feet and cause spontaneous dancing!

Gazin

Total newbie to fusing, so dont freak if I get it wrong, but I have been reading on this bubble issue, I did a coaster that had big bubbles…my books say, fire the kiln up to 1100 then ramp up to full fuse at 10 degrees per minute, gives the glass a little more time to slump while ridding itself of the bubbles….also read that fiber board will help, gives the glass somewhere to vent, also watch for areas in your work that might trap air when it slumps, try to leave a channel for the air to escape to the edges of the glass, ok well, hope this helps…I’m so new that I dont have much to show yet, but I will….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.