Home Forums Explore Subjects Art Journals KiwiKate’s 2018 Sketches

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    KiwiKate

I am trying to discipline myself to sketch every day, starting with things around my house and yard, and hopefully I’ll ultimately get comfortable sketching around my community. I’m using a Strathmore 8×5 1/2″ 140lb Visual Journal and have put together a travel kit that I can grab at a moment’s notice. The washes are mostly Daniel Smith paints but I’m hoping to use a small Sennelier 8-color set of paints I’ve just ordered once I move away from home. The portrait is a 5 minutes sketch I did of my painting friend at our open paint last week. She was a reluctant model — 5 minutes for the ink sketch and that was it! Still getting comfortable sketching with my Lictin Ink Pens — it sure makes me loose to dispense with the pencil!

C&C welcomed!

Kate
        Henderson, Nevada
        C&C always welcomed!

"Never ruin a good day by thinking about a bad yesterday". -- Anon.

You are off to a great start Kate.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

KiwiKate

Thanks Doug! It’s an adventure!

Kate
            Henderson, Nevada
            C&C always welcomed!

eyepaint

Oooh good stuff! Keep it up! :)

-- EP Moderator for:
                All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

Delofasht

These are nice Kate, simple pen and some color is a great way to work it. Have you ever tried drawing what you see but from an imagined angle? It is a great way to really internalize what you are looking at for sure.

I really like the way you handled the bottles, very direct and loose, quite effective.

- Delo Delofasht
                    KiwiKate

Thanks EP and Delo. Still getting used to drawing directly with a pen –but it gets easier every time. I’d love to get to the point you’re suggesting Delo — a good goal for me.

Kate
                        Henderson, Nevada
                        C&C always welcomed!

KiwiKate

Two more sketches from my patio today — an hour total for drawing and wash. The landscape came together more quickly and effectively than I’d imagined it would. I’m lucky enough to enjoy this view every day — perhaps knowing it so well helps. The gardening stuff makes me laugh — yes, that blue thing is a bucket! The view was from the side and slightly above, a perspective I obviously need to work on!

Kate
                            Henderson, Nevada
                            C&C always welcomed!

Delofasht

Ellipses are one of the hardest simple things to draw, and getting them right makes or breaks cylindrical subjects in perspective all the time. I mess them up all the time myself. The line confidence from pen drawing is a great reward, when you got back to pencil or any other media that you can cover or easily remove the value really shines in how much faster and purposeful the strokes.

- Delo Delofasht
                                KiwiKate

Thanks Delo. I’m not going back and trying to correct errors of perspective BUT plan to use the “fails” as learning experiences. That’s the good thing about sketchbooks — easy to flip back and remind myself of needed practice. Good to know that the ellipse is a challenge for you too — your sketches are fabulous!

Kate
                                    Henderson, Nevada
                                    C&C always welcomed!

KiwiKate

I don’t know about you, but as soon as I started taking watercolor classes three years ago, family and friends inundated me with art “stuff” for Christmas and birthdays! Most of it I haven’t been able to use because while the gifts were kind and well-intentioned they weren’t for watercolor. However, now that I’ve started sketching, I’m trying some of the “journals”, which again, aren’t meant for watercolor but I thought might be adaptable. This one has no brand, is about 8″x5″, the paper is beige and seems almost like rice paper. I’m thinking I’ll use it for pen and pencil though it didn’t buckle too badly with a light wash of watercolor. The white gouache sat nicely on the paper and that would be an option too.

Kate
                                        Henderson, Nevada
                                        C&C always welcomed!

Delofasht

Looks like a nice little sketchbook to me! I really like how the gouache is sitting on the surface with the little breaks and all, very nice look to me.

Got a couple new sketchbooks recently, but not really ready to start working in them just yet, finishing up the random book first.

- Delo Delofasht
                                            KiwiKate

Thanks Delo — I like the gouache effect too.

Kate
                                                Henderson, Nevada
                                                C&C always welcomed!

Joan T

Nice indoor and outdoor sketches. The portrait of your friend came out nice. How did she like it when it was finished?

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Joan T
                                                    [FONT=Book Antiqua]www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

KiwiKate

She actually liked it Joan! I’m trying to get her to start sketching so we can venture out together. I confess that having company would make me less self-conscious about sitting out in public with my sketchbook.

Kate
                                                        Henderson, Nevada
                                                        C&C always welcomed!

KiwiKate

I did this one today as a final test of the materials I’ve selected for my mobile sketching kit. I’ve settled on a couple of Lictin pens, two water brushes, an 8×5 Moleskin 140lb sketchbook, a mini mixing palette and a converted W&N Cotman travel palette with 10 half pans, a mix of Sennelier & W&N Cotman paints. They all fit nicely (along with paper towels and plastic bags) in a plastic zippered pencil case stowed in a converted handbag for easy carrying. I’ve put the kit in the trunk of my car so I’ll be good to go at a moment’s notice. The only thing I’ll probably have to remember is to remove the paints from the car if the temperatures climb into the high 90s, which will be happening late this month.

This one is of my lunch leftovers.

Kate
                                                            Henderson, Nevada
                                                            C&C always welcomed!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.