Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking How to transfer photocopy to wood? to Linoleum?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • Author

I read in a book, “Simple Printmaking” that using lacquer thinner to moisten the back of a photocopied image, and burnishing it onto wood, will allow the transfer of the image. The image then can be woodcut for printing. This process won’t work for linoleum.

Question:

Is there any other solvent that works for this? :confused:

I’ve tried WD40, Mineral spirits, Silicone lubricant, and I don’t know what else, and the only one that allows transfer of any photocopier toner is the silicone lubricant spray– and the transferred image is feeble at best. Oddly enough, I haven’t yet tried lacquer thinner (don’t have any).

Also, has anyone had any success transfering a photocopied image on to linoleum, short of using a graphite paper rubbing?

Dave

Dave I paint the front of a photo copy with gum arabic, then put it face down on the plate or wood. The next step is to run denatured alcohol on the back. Let it sit for a few minutes and then lift a corner to see how it is taking. Remember that what every you put down will print backwards.

Ah, make the most of what we yet may spend, before we too into the dust descend.... Omar Khayyam

Stone Chief Studio_____________________________
    Charissa

I’ve always put the photocopy face down on the surface (mine’s usually paper, not wood, but it should work) and then use cellulose thinner to brush on the back. Then you rub it. It has to be done quite quickly so I tend to brush a small area and rub immediately. And it has to be photocopy ink.

As for lino…a slightly more longwinded approach. I put a piece of paper covered either in oil pastel or a soft dark graphite face down on the lino, then put the drawing on top of that. Then redraw over the image, which transfers the image in oil pastel or graphite like a monoprint. If you don’t want to reverse the image you have to do the drawing, trace a reverse version, then redraw over *that* onto the lino. :)

Tina.

Abstract coast and geology art: www.tina-m.com | Art/Science gallery: www.grejczikgallery.com

I haven’t tried the cellulose. That sounds much easier than what I was taught:) Thanks for the hint, gal.

Ah, make the most of what we yet may spend, before we too into the dust descend.... Omar Khayyam

Stone Chief Studio_____________________________
    Charissa

doug_h

This may not help in this case, but I have taken scans and output them from my inkjet printer and transfered the image to linoleum with a damp sponge. Naturally, the print has to be in reverse, but thats no problem.

Thanks Sassybird, Timelady, and Doug!

I’m interested in avoiding petroleum-based solvents for image transfers to wood or linoleum if possible, but all methods have merit.

Thanks, Doug! You da man! Your method may be the best so far –and the most obviously overlooked method at that. Regarding the image reversal, my ArcSoft photoprogram allows all sorts of image manipulation, so a reversed image can be printed on paper, then transfered via your suggestion. It should appear in its desired orientation then.

Off the the lino I go!

Dave

1vikeyrose

try xylene or citristrip, the 1st one works oto transfer copies on just about anything, i refill my “Dove” blender pen with it and go to town, have not tryed the latter but was told its a good alternative for those not wanting a solvent based product.

"Its Art If I SaY ItS Art!!!

PinkRaven

I’ve never had a problem transferring a photocopy to lino, but i have to warn you that the transfers are usually a bit pale or a little hazy at best.

The first thing to try is a different photocopier…
                there are differences in toner between brands and some definately do transfer better than others. The photocopy should also be as fresh as possible. This might sound obvious, but be sure that the copy machine is definately a carbon toner machine. A lot of new copy machines use an inkjet system and they don’t transfer well at all. If all else fails try a laser color copier. There are other chemicals to try… acetone based nail polish remover is a standard as well as gin. Orange oil based furniture cleaners work as well as wintergreen oil from the pharmacy. Use caution with the wintergreen oil because although it’s “natural” it can be a skin irritant and the fumes shouldn’t be inhaled directly. You can cut it with a bit of denatured alcohol.

Just a word about reversing images… if you are going to be transferring the face of the photocopy to the block you don’t want to reverse the print! It will be in reverse when you transfer it down to the lino and right again when you print it. I’m pretty embarrassed to admit that even after twenty years of experience carving print blocks I’ve majorly screwed that one up! LOL! I did that on one very detailed print… with text. (and I HATE carving text) My brain must have been totally out to lunch because I resized the drawing on the computer and for some unknown reason got it in my head to reverse it…. transferred it face down to the block, carved the whole darn block and the text and it never dawned on me that I was carving the text “right” on the block… then I took my first test print… ACK! The text on the print was backwards! I just about flipped out… all those hours of carving and I never *saw* what I was doing! LOL! Goes to prove you are never too old or experienced to totally screw up! LOL!

I think this post is getting to long so I’ll give you another idea in the next post…

Rave

PinkRaven

I haven’t tried this but I had a little brainstorm ;)
                    I bet you could print out your image on T-Shirt transfer paper (right side up! Not reversed! You want it backwards on the block. ;) ) and iron it onto the linoleum. After carving the block You should be able to scrub off the plastic film, but even if you left it on it should hold the ink okay for printing. If my hands could still handle doing linoleum I’d give it a try… it would be a great, crisply detailed transfer if it works.

Rave

Many thanks for all the replies!

I’ll certainly find the right combination of copier and solvent to transfer photocopy-to-linoleum from the many suggestions here.

I’ll try different copiers, but so far they’ve all been the type that requires a toner tube refill.

Thanks again, all!

Dave

I read or saw some where that you can iron a photocopy to transfer it to another surface. It just might work on linoleum too. No chemicals at all in that method.

Striving to create something pleasing and intriguing to the eye

www.marcasue.com
                    cerdo

I’ve painted the recieveing surface with acrylic matt medium while it’s wet, rub the xerox toner side down onto the matt medium and sqeegy all the excess out, air bubbles etc. Let this dry completely. Then wet the paper and rub all the paper off. The toner stays in the matt meduim. Works pretty well once you get the hang of it.

I have used a Chartpak brand blender pen to transfer photocopies to wood quite successfully. Place image side down on the wood and rub hard with the pen from the backside. You can find Chartpak pens in any well-stocked art supply store, maybe even a large Michael’s or Hobby Lobby. The main ingredient appears to be acetone, so use in a well-ventilated area unless you just really like the stink of nail polish remover… :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam – easy as 1-2-3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam – easy as 1-2-3

We don’t carry the Chartpak blender at Hobby Lobby, but we do carry the Prismacolor blender

Striving to create something pleasing and intriguing to the eye

www.marcasue.com
                        Printmakerguy

I have tried the iron on transfers, but dont reccomend them, the heat from the iron makes a lot of linoleums brittle and crumbly once they cool. I make an inkjet print, cut it out to size, place it (dry) on the lino block, then soak it with water with a spray bottle…. Rub it GENTLY from behind, and peel it carefully off after 30 secs or so…. The result (once dry) is a great REVERSED image- Ready to cut. It is a bit on the faint side, but it works…..

-Andrew

[FONT="Arial"]

I always welcome critiques and criticisms of my work! That's the only way to improve!
                            My My Web Page - My Miniature Work-http://www.lessthansix.com[/center]
                            -Member of the Association Of Miniature Artists-

* AMA * MASF * HS * ARMS *

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.