Home Forums The Town Center All Media Art Events wde jan 17 marshlands

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ronsu18

artastic thank you for hosting!

14x17cm, sennelier ops on arches oil paper, near finished at 2h

notes on arches oil paper under ops
        started on the sunset landscape but the paper opposed every move. the first layer turned to cement disabling blending. adding more pastel and blending immediately with a stomp did not work either. the first layer was successful only when using generous amounts of pastels and blending with the stick while coloring.
        this behaviour could be helpful if the goal was to have an underpainting you scratch back to and make it visible in the end.
        the paper has a grain like watercolor paper, torchon, slightly smaller in scale. this could be a desirable quality at times.
        i wasted 2,5h, five layers worth of ops 😈. craving revenge decided to start over with a water view in order to use the grain. second time over, now knowing how heavily to paint, the experience was radically different. it felt easier to progress. i had plenty of time to think. it was relaxing, and at the same time the paper displayed character, offered surprises and became interesting. i must test this with ops + turps but can’t recommend the paper for anyone, unless you’re seeking adventure.

C&C welcome

eyepaint

This looks lovely! I enjoyed hearing your words how you worked with something unfamiliar and when you used it a second time you could relax because you knew what to expect and how it would respond :)

-- EP Moderator for:
            All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

Scotkatidid

Glad all your problems were resolved – from all your efforts you have certainly created a beautiful painting!🤗

Thanks for looking, Kate
                My Bloghttp://www.katescott40.blogspot.ca/
                Two roads diverged in a wood and I, took the one less traveled by... Robert Frost

I haven’t tried Arches oil paper, but certainly have had similar experiences with oil pastels and different papers, including stuff supposedly made for o.p.s. So I can relate! You might try putting clear sanded gesso on a piece; see if it behaves better.
                However, you did end up with a lovely little piece!

Wendy C&C always welcome
                Everybody likes feedback! Please remember to comment on others' threads, even if it's just a "nice work" post.

dupliKate

Loved reading about your adventures with the paper…glad you didn’t just throw up your hands, but tried a second one. I have had zero success with oil pastels on any surface….but I think I have been using super cheap ones.
                    This turned into a lovely,serene marshland with beautiful shining water…really calming.

"wait for me if i am not heart, because at least i beat"
                    ee cummings, from ViVa 1936
                    http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/03-Aug-2009/3648-Banner2.jpg

Triduana

It’s a lovely warm landscape. I really enjoyed your account of the paper and I’m glad you persevered with it, the result is very good. I got some oil pastels for Christmas and I’m looking for a good surface to experiment on. :)

Kay D - Edinburgh, Scotland

So long, and thanks ...

I’ve not tried their paper for oil. Glad you told us about its idiosyncrasies though. But you did end up with a decent piece.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

ronsu18

thank you for chiming in and commenting!
                            it’s sometimes vital to persist, especially for a beginner. i’m used to oil paint and defining 😓 experiences with absorption.
                            sundiver thank you, i’ll have to test the gesso!
                            dupliKate sorry to hear that, can’t help hoping you could find use for your ops together with a medium and a brush maybe!
                            triduana good luck with unwrapping your christmas gift!

C&C welcome

tyree

how gorgeous !

tyree:)

'art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known'.....oscar wilde

artastic

what a great result for all your troubles, I too have zero success with OPs, so just let those with the knowhow do them
                                    this is quiet lovely

C&C always welcome -Bonnie-
                                    http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/04-Jan-2017/104250-banner.jpg

“It’s possible to have an awesome life, but it’s up to ourselves to do it.” Weekly Drawing Event, Want to host a WDE? Hosts needed starting now.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.