Home Forums Explore Media Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera Casein Practice on Paper

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    idcrisis55

This is a little study in casein done with light washes on a piece 6″ x 3.5″ 140lb. Arches watercolor paper. The paper had a light yellow ochre wash of watercolor. As you can see I don’t have a steady hand. The painting has not been sealed in any way.

Ann
        C & C, etc. always appreciated.

andymathis

I like it lots.

Very nice! It’s not necessary to seal it. Just treat it like a regular watercolor painting, unless you want to frame it without glass.

Richard

C&C is welcome.
            Richard

idcrisis55

Thank you Andy and Richard, glad you enjoyed the painting!

Ann

Terry Wynn

Very nice, Ann. Love the effect you achieved.

Terry

idcrisis55

Thank you Terry, and thanks for taking time to look.

Ann

…As you can see I don’t have a steady hand. The painting has not been sealed in any way…

I wish my hand were that unsteady. :)

Richard

C&C is welcome.
                        Richard

idcrisis55

I think I was actually holding my breath with each stroke in some of the letters lol. I wonder how some artist get such exquisite lettering in their work.

Ann

JamieWG

Ann, this is lovely! What you see as an unsteady hand, I see as nice soft edges! :D

I’ve been told that casein can be varnished, but when I tried that, the varnish just soaked right into the paper. I asked an expert and he said that I can seal the paper before painting on it with acrylic medium and acrylic primer, and then the varnish will sit better on the top. I haven’t tried that yet though, so I’ve been framing with glass.

Jamie

Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
                                Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Art Materials
                                [/url]
                                One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

idcrisis55

Jamie, thank you :). Thanks for the info on sealing with the acrylic medium too. I will have to try that on a painting. I thought I would mat this one to hang in my studio :).

I e-mailed John Molnar regarding barrier layers. His response was that if one is having problems with lifting it could be the gesso is not absorbent enough. His recommendation was Zinsser 123 Primer/Sealer (waterbased). Also, he has used Weldbond PVA glue, mixing two parts water to one part glue, as a barrier layer between glazing, if one is having problems with painting lifting.

Ann

I’m not a fan of any varnishing on caseins, myself. If you look at the MSDS for the 123 Primer, it lists chalk, limestone, and pigment content, which seems certain to cause a value change on the work. Maybe a clear shellac; I believe Shiva’s varnish is a shellac. The commercial liquid shellacs (Zinsser) have been processed (lubricated maybe?) to extend the shelf-life. Acylic polymer mediums I’ve seen discolor the casein surface (milkyness.) Acrylic resin matte varnishes might be a decent choice, but I’d recommend testing it out first. Painting on an acrylic medium seems too slick. Although, it seems to stick okay, the brushstrokes are more apparant.

David Blaine Clemons
                                    ----------------
                                    My Website
                                    My Blog

idcrisis55

David, you are a fount of great information, thank you. I may have worded the info incorrectly from Mr. Molnar. The Zinsser is to be applied as an absorbent ground over the gessoed canvas or board before painting, not as a barrier layer.

I like the caseins buffed also, when they are on hardboard. I am going to experiment with buffing on paper to see what happens. Next is painting on canvas, continuing with my experimenting on different supports.

Ann

David, you are a fount of great information, thank you. I may have worded the info incorrectly from Mr. Molnar. The Zinsser is to be applied as an absorbent ground over the gessoed canvas or board before painting, not as a barrier layer. …

Oh, I see. I thought you meant he recommended using the Sealer as an isolation coat. My bad. :o I’d still be wary of the Zinsser primer, even casein itself can be used to make a good gesso.

Information isn’t hard to come by, it’s the accuracy of it, including mine, that should make you cautious ;).

David Blaine Clemons
                                        ----------------
                                        My Website
                                        My Blog

idcrisis55

You are right David. Like my own mis-statement :(.

Below is part of the e-mail I received today from Mr. Molnar with some tips on starting to paint in casein. :

“[FONT=Georgia]Use a glass or enamel metal butchers’ tray for a palette.[/FONT]
                                            [FONT=Georgia]Use two large water containers, one for dirty water/cleaning brushes, the other to wet brushes in clean water.[/FONT]
                                            [FONT=Georgia]Mix only enough water with casein to render it into a consistency of heavy table cream.[/FONT]
                                            [FONT=Georgia]Use hog’s hair, synthetic, oriental style brushes only. No sables.[/FONT]
                                            [FONT=Georgia]Keep a spray bottle of water for rewetting your paints on the palette or the canvas itself.[/FONT]
                                            [FONT=Georgia]Use a hair blow dryer for speedier drying times, if needed.[/FONT]
                                            [FONT=Georgia]Use a palette knife to mix your colours, not brushes.[/FONT]
                                            [FONT=Georgia]Apply an undercoat of toned casein white or any other casein colour as a good base for subsequent layers.[/FONT]
                                            [FONT=Georgia]Never paint impasto with casein. Instead, use heavy gel or lay down an initial textured gesso for an impasto texture.[/FONT]
                                            [FONT=Georgia]Try to paint with casein on canvas, without mixing with other media. This will speed up the learning curve with the paint, and also cut framing costs. [/FONT]
                                            [FONT=Georgia]Remember; paintings on paper will always need to be framed under glass![/FONT]
                                            [FONT=Georgia]Always make sure your studio has plenty of fresh air circulating, preferably with a fan so situated as to have yourself in-between the fan and an open window. This is just good studio practice.[/FONT]
                                            [FONT=Georgia]Casein can also be used as a ground for silver-point drawing on paper, or even canvas.”[/FONT]
                                            [FONT=Georgia][/FONT]
                                            [FONT=Georgia]All the info everyone has so kindly shared has been much appreciated. Now, practice is the key to deciding what works and doesn’t work for me>[/FONT]
                                            [FONT=Georgia][/FONT]
                                            [FONT=Georgia]Thanks all,[/FONT]
                                            [FONT=Georgia]Ann[/FONT]

I’ve been told that casein can be varnished, but when I tried that, the varnish just soaked right into the paper.

I can’t think of an instance when works on paper would be varnished. They are almost always matted and framed under glass. The paper must not be flush with the glass. (My husband is a conservator, so I get all kinds of useful tips—but I’ve also framed my own drawings and pastels in the past). There is no need to varnish watercolors or gouache, and casein on paper is similar in consistency.

Once casein is completely dry, it becomes impervious to water. Works on paper are fragile in other respects, of course, which is why framing under glass is the best option. If your casein paintings were on canvas or panel, you could certainly choose to frame without glass and not varnish either. Varnishing, or applying an isolation coat, will certainly change the surface of your painting in a way you might not like, unless you want a glossy finish. You could of course spray a VERY light coating of matte varnish—but try it on an “experimental” piece first. All you will do is seal the surface—varnish on paper will not be removable.

I’ve been struggling with the same issues with my own casein paintings (on panel, not paper) and have decided—no varnish. I emailed Golden about this, and while you can use a light MSA Varnish spray on caseins, they haven’t really done extensive testing on that issue.

Mat your casein on paper, and frame under glass, and you’ll be safe.
                                            :thumbsup:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.