WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Lord of the Arts
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia
Re: Hansa Yellow PY3, PY74 do you use them? (lightfastness II)

"Strontium chromate can affect you when breathed in.." Yeah, it is not a lipstick yellow! . But it is a very difficult thing to "breath in" an artist`s oil paint if you are n`t a worker on chemical or paint factory.
There are too many substances better to avoid "breath in" including sugar or milk powder.
6 ml of white spirit or 4 ml of turpentine aerosol are breathing lethal doze for human, but too many painters in the past died after 80 or even 90 years old despite contacting with toxic paints and ingredients every day.

If toxicity is important thing - benzimidazolone yellow might be very good primary or lemon yellow. It is more lightfast than PY3 Arylide yellow 10G and less toxic than Cadmium yellow PY35. I prefer to use non-toxic paints, but without sacrifice of permanency

Last edited by Gigalot : 04-05-2012 at 12:55 PM.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2012, 01:08 AM
Enthusiast
Finland

Hails from Finland

i tested winsor lemon (in aquarelle) looks like i cannot replace my py3. to me py3 is poorest kind pigment what i can use some them are impossible replace i still use also py35 but its opaque dont work all same uses. saddly russian aquarelle have few nice colours what are impossible replace and are very poor lightfastness (pigment red 12 for example).
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2012, 02:46 AM
central NY

Hails from United States

Golden makes an anti-UV varnish for acrylics. I'm not sure if it would be able to be put on top of oils or if they make such a beast. I think this also would help to prevent photodegradation of pigments.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2012, 07:36 AM
Lord of the Arts
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Chemical additives can give only temporal protection because they are sensitive to UV rays itself. About 3-4 years, I guess. (UV protected plastic bottles has ~3-4 years protection warranty)
Many Oil painters are conservative artists who prefer natural dammar varnish but excluding people, following old impressionistic ingrained idea which teach us to hate any varnishes and black pigments.
However, acrylic artists are much more chemical and industrial friendly people and often trust dodgy paint manufacturers

Natural dammar picture varnish is also a good UV protector, but I don`t know how much effective it is. Is anybody here who tried to test it?

Last edited by Gigalot : 04-26-2012 at 07:53 AM.