Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing Framing Discussions Is it ok to put oilpaintings under glass?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Redneck

I’ve been working on some 6″x4.5″ oil paintings on paper. I let them dry for 6 months and then varnish them. After the varnish is dry would it be safe to just stick them in a glass picture frame?
        I know the glass wouldn’t be necessary but would it hurt anything?

Steve Collins

Oil paintings take a long time to fully cure and can emit fumes for years. The main issue with framing behind glass is the fumes. They will slowly create a film on the inside of the glass.

However, other than the need to open it up and clean the glass occasionally, I don’t think there’s any other causes for concern.

Mach5

Be sure to use an acid free spacer between glass and art.

[FONT="Arial Black"]Mark.
                A candle looses nothing by lighting another candle – Anon.

contumacious

I mount my oils done on paper to a piece of sealed tempered hardboard, gatorbord or ACM panel, apply a permanent sealing layer such as a very thin layer of Galkyd Lite to help isolate the paper from atmospheric contaminants and moisture. When the sealing coat is touch dry, I mount them in a frame just like you would an oil on panel or canvas. No need for glass. I have done several pieces like this and they hold up very well. The paper is a bit more impact sensitive than canvas, but not much when mounted on an ACM panel with a Galkyd Lite sealing coat. The Galkyd will give a similar slight warming tone like you would see with Damar Varnish, but unlike Damar, it won’t get darker over time. Test first before using it on something important.

The key word for the Galkyd sealing layer is PERMANENT. You cannot remove it once it is dry. You can apply a removable conservation varnish as the final coat, in gloss, satin or matte if desired.

DaveCrow

I have seen museums mount oil paintings under glass.

I think not mounting oil and acrylic behind glass is more a case of the glass not being necessary than it being harmful.

"Let the paint be paint" --John Marin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.