Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Liquitex Pouring Medium

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    pamela_1903

Hi Everyone,
        I am wondering if anyone has recent experience with Liquitex Pouring Medium.
        I have just used it to pour two paintings and both have cracked despite Liquitex claiming it doesn’t craze or crack. I added Liquitex acrylic ink at their recommendation. My substrate is wood which was sealed and gessoed and thoroughly dried. The paintings were protected from dust and dried in a room without heating or cooling, I’m in South Australia so it is cool but dry here (winter). The cracking occurred around 12 hours after pouring. Despite the cracking I was impressed with the glossiness and the fact that there were no bubbles. Love the medium just so long as I can get pass the cracking problem.

Any ideas comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :)

I have been playing with it recently. My first attempts it also cracked which confused me as, as you know it says that it will not crack.

Unfortunately I could never really work out why it did that. It has not cracked on me since. Oh, one other thought was I was in Australia back at the time at my sisters and now I am back here in the States. I do not know if it was climate based, or just dumb technical error. In Oz I mixed water in with the medium, here not so much and I wet the canvas before pouring the medium.

I am still struggling with a few issues with it, like how to completely remove the lumps of paint and get a smooth blended medium before the pour. Actually little chunks of paint are interesting but the bigger ones, not so much.

Carol
        "Mercifully free of the ravages of intelligence" - Time Bandits[/color]
        Moderator: Acrylic Forum
        My websites: Discoveries With Colour Adventures in Photography[/B]

Reading your issue again, I think it might be the ink.

Carol

bluefish

Carol…you solved the mystery……in ‘OZ’, it cracks…..in the USA, not so!…one ‘atta girl’ for Carol!…..:clap: :lol:

Carol…you solved the mystery……in ‘OZ’, it cracks…..in the USA, not so!…one ‘atta girl’ for Carol!…..:clap: :lol:

Not so fast blue. We have no idea where this member comes from :cat:

Carol

bluefish

Carol….she is from southhern Australia…..that’s why I gave you a ‘atta girl’!:thumbsup:

:eek: :lol: I totally missed that point.

Carol

dasinc

I have used this with the acrylic inks and not had any issues at all. I am in Perth Western Australia. I don’t know what may have caused your issues but the only think I will say is that I laid the mixed medium/ink on fairly thick.

Carol…you solved the mystery……in ‘OZ’, it cracks…..in the USA, not so!…one ‘atta girl’ for Carol!…..

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                    Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

I have used this with the acrylic inks and not had any issues at all. I am in Perth Western Australia. I don’t know what may have caused your issues but the only think I will say is that I laid the mixed medium/ink on fairly thick.

I don’t know what my problem was except that I did thin it originally with water. I just found a pic of my pour done in Sydney. I have to say at the time I was doing these it was pouring :lol: with rain, so the humidity in the house was right up there. I do not think it has anything to do with a dry environment.

In the end I kind of liked the cracking and filled it in with red paint. You can see that I had started working on filling in the cracks lower right. But due to lack of luggage space I left the panel in Oz. :(

Carol

Oh c’mon people. It’s obvious that the northern hemisphere acrylics are formulated for clockwise drainage and the southern hemisphere acrylics are for counter-clockwise drainage.

A painting is never really done as long as I can get my hands on it.

Oh c’mon people. It’s obvious that the northern hemisphere acrylics are formulated for clockwise drainage and the southern hemisphere acrylics are for counter-clockwise drainage.

Holey cow…Cliff you have solved the issue.

Carol

Holey cow…Cliff you have solved the issue.

Yeh, I’m just thick with science.

A painting is never really done as long as I can get my hands on it.

bluefish

Cliff…I may be mistaken but I think it’s the other way around…counterclockwise in the northern, etc……..:lol:

also, down under, they could peddle this stuff as ‘cracking medium’…:lol:

Robert Peru

Hi. I just have general questions about using the pouring medium. The first being; Do I have to use it? I’ve been doing some pouring and, having absolutely no idea what I’m doing (but having the time of my life!!) I just used water. And I mean ALOT of water! I thinned my paints way beyond 50/50. It took several days for them to dry and when they did the finish was very matte (will a high gloss varnish help that?) and I did have some cracking/flaking but nowhere near what the picture above has. I have a lot more questions but I guess I’ll start with that one. To anyone who answers, beware!!! I am a beginner and I’m starving for info. If you answer any of my questions, I may come at you with 10 or 12 more. You know that stray cat that you fed once 10 years ago and is now asleep on your couch? I am that cat…. at least as far as art questions go. Thanks All.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                          • The topic ‘Liquitex Pouring Medium’ is closed to new replies.